Old 01-08-2003, 04:42 AM
Benign Vanilla

Default Pond Kit

Disclaimer: I am anal retentive and like to box, categorize and organize
stuff.

I want to put together a "Pond Kit". I am picturing a small toolbox, with
stuff like a test kit, medicines, etc. Any thoughts?

BV.

Old 01-08-2003, 03:43 PM
Lee Brouillet

Make it a large tool box. Or maybe 2 large tool boxes! I keep my meds
inside, as they do better kept at room temperature and dry, versus the
temperature fluctuations in the garage and the humidity. Also, test kits
will give false readings if they're cold. Mark your meds with a purchase
date, so you have an idea of when you bought them. There may or may not be
an expiration date on them, but at least you'll have some idea how long
they've been (hopefully) collecting dust. The idea behind the meds is that
you HAVE them on hand in the event you need them (so you don't panic and
have to wait 3 days to get them), but hope you never need to use them G. I
have a reasonably large collection of stuff, probably a lot more than the
"average bear" would keep around. If you want the list, I'll give it to
you; o'wise, I won't bore you with the details.

Lee

Old 01-08-2003, 04:22 PM
BenignVanilla

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
Make it a large tool box. Or maybe 2 large tool boxes! I keep my meds
inside, as they do better kept at room temperature and dry, versus the
temperature fluctuations in the garage and the humidity. Also, test kits
will give false readings if they're cold. Mark your meds with a purchase
date, so you have an idea of when you bought them. There may or may not be
an expiration date on them, but at least you'll have some idea how long
they've been (hopefully) collecting dust. The idea behind the meds is that
you HAVE them on hand in the event you need them (so you don't panic and
have to wait 3 days to get them), but hope you never need to use them G.

have a reasonably large collection of stuff, probably a lot more than the
"average bear" would keep around. If you want the list, I'll give it to
you; o'wise, I won't bore you with the details.

bore me, please...I know now that I have the proper test kits I'll have some
friends, family calling on me to do some tests for them. I figure I should
put together a kit. I just thought of another addition or two...

Notebook
Pen
Timer for timing tests.

BV,

Old 01-08-2003, 06:02 PM
John Hines

"BenignVanilla" wrote:

[...]

Pack of aspirin, and a mini bottle of your favorite brew.

Fixes headaches of all kinds. G

Old 01-08-2003, 06:02 PM
K30a

And raccoon face paint, remote video camera setup and paintball gun.

k30a

Old 01-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Gail Futoran

Notepad or 3x5 cards, to keep notes on the pond.
I also keep notes in a computer file but I'm more
reliable about writing stuff on the notepad that's
stored with the pond stuff.

Gail

Old 01-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Lee Brouillet

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
bore me, please...I know now that I have the proper test kits I'll have

some
friends, family calling on me to do some tests for them. I figure I should
put together a kit. I just thought of another addition or two...

Just remember, you asked! It took me a while to do a mental inventory, so I
probably missed something. Like I said, I want to be prepared, and hope I
never need it! (long sigh) At least you know I'm *serious* about my fish!

I keep on hand:

Chloramine T
Proform C
TriCide-Neo
Supaverm (I have koi only, but will replace it with Prazi Pond when the time
comes so I can help someone else if I need to)
Potassium Permanganate
Oil of Clove

Neosporin
Iodine 7%
Scissors
Tweezers
Q-Tips
Cotton Balls

Disposable dissection kit

And an assortment of reference material for identification and dosing

I have a 1/2 doz. diabetic syringes on hand (and a diabetic friend from whom
I can get replacements), but I don't keep antibiotics on hand, preferring to
get them fresh if/when I need them.

I also keep copious quantities of ChlorAm-X and Sodium Thiosulfate,
activated charcoal, and calcium bentonite on hand. If you want to consider
KoiZyme a "medicine", I have that, too.

I have a 'scope, slides (glass and plastic) and know how to take digital
macro photos to post if the fish contract something I can't identify.

I also have salt and peroxide available.

I have an assortment of meters (with appropriate calibration and storage
solutions), and re-order all my test kits every 6 months to keep them as
fresh as possible. I have (for test kits) Ammonia, pH, NitrIte, NitrAte, KH,
GH, O2, phosphate and salt. For meters, I have pH, ORP, Salt and a digital
thermometer for water temps. I have (dedicated) measuring spoons and
measures for ounces, ml's, and cc's. I have a postal meter that does both
gram and ounce measures.

I keep an extra bag of cycled media in my biofalls so I just have to grab it
if I have to set up the Q/H tank (which is nearby, but not set up all the
time due to space issues)

I have extra pumps (air and water), airstones and water heaters - all in
assorted sizes.

And (finally!) I have an 8500 watt generator that I can put on line in the
event of a prolonged power failure (I live in a hurricane zone). Oh - I can
also run the refrigerator, TV, fans, etc. - but I bought it for the fish!

Lee

Old 01-08-2003, 07:42 PM
BenignVanilla

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
snip

Uh....uh...

BV.

Old 01-08-2003, 08:32 PM
Lee Brouillet

GBG That's why I said maybe TWO big toolboxes!

Obviously, this is overkill for the standard ponder. But you don't
understand how *badly* I felt the only time I lost fish, which was mostly
due to inexperience and ignorance (i.e., completely preventable). I never
want that to happen again, not if there's anything I can possibly do to
prevent it. I *sincerely* hope I never need the stuff, and if I have to
throw it out because it's outdated and never used, that's good! It means
I've learned something.

By the same token, with the way MY luck runs, they'd break with something on
Friday, which means I couldn't order anything until Monday, which means I'd
get it on Tuesday (if I overnighted it!), which means they'd probably be
dead. This way they stand a chance, and I can sleep easier.

I know . . . I'm over-reacting (long sigh . . .)

Old 03-08-2003, 01:02 PM
mad

AND, keep a lock on the meds box, especially if there are kids around...
mad

--