Old 09-08-2003, 02:38 PM
Rusty Hinge

Default Gardening - test

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

"anne" wrote in message
Are gnomes related to trolls?

No, but top-posters are.

[Franz Heymann] ||

_||_
\ /
\/

Warren wrote in message
Heather wrote:
what is a troll?????

A troll is someone who posts something outrageous just to watch people
get riled-up. Sometimes a troll will do a little flaming (attacking the
person, not the ideas) just to watch everyone else start to get
personality issues and the real issue confused to the point that threads
will go down several layers with no real substance. Trolls cast a wide
net, and try to upset as many people as possible.

"Don't feed the trolls," essentially means you should ignore the troll,
and not get caught in his net.

The origin is the trolling that a fisherman does. Essentially we're
talking about casting a wide net, and seeing what we can catch.

Of course it's also fun to picture the troll as a evil little elf.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.

So are those who don't snip......

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:39 PM
murphy

In article om, "Cybe R.
Wizard" wrote:

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 02:35:15 +0100
"anne" wrote:

Are gnomes related to trolls?

No, GNOME is a desktop program for Linux. ;-]

Cybe R. Wizard

....yoo hoo!!!....fancy finding you here....i just stumbled in looking for
help with a tree question...G

murphy
Old 09-08-2003, 02:39 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Not crossing posting as we seem to have picked up some non-Porgers, but
what is a "top poster"? Or would that be what I'm doing now? ~ jan

No, but top-posters are.

[Franz Heymann]

For heavens sake give it a rest. Do you know how boring you are being.

Not nearly as boring as seeing continued top posting.
If you think it boring to remind others of good manners, then so be it.

Oh never mind *PLONK*

I bet you did not plonk me.

[Franz Heymann]

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 09-08-2003, 02:39 PM
K30a

jj wrote K30, you'll have to use the kids' PC on this thread

The kids' PC just went light years beyond me when it went DSL... there isn't
enough time or brain power to figure it all out again ;-)

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...ors/index.html

Old 09-08-2003, 02:39 PM
Nedra

Top posters are frowned on in most other newsgroups.
What you have posted is a top post. The kind I like.

What you usually post is a bottom post.... these are the
ones that quote the previous posts .... and then the current
post. These drive me to distraction... why I seldom answer
them. Wading thru all the posts.... Arrrggghhhhhhhh

Nedra

Old 10-08-2003, 04:42 AM
Anne Lurie

Well, it's been a while since I used AOL (except for loading a current
version on hubby's laptop so we can be sure of getting some sort of access
to the Internet, as RoadRunner works great at home but leaves a *lot* to be
desired when it comes to remote access......

As for using a MAC, I have no clue whatsoever......

But, you are quite right when you say that "we are eavesdropping on some
other groups squabble."

Hmmmm. Primitive AOL doesn't seem to have a button for that (MAC on 5.0).
But it does say at the top that it is posting to rec.ponds and no other

group
is listed.
I feel like we are eavesdropping on some other groups squabble. ;-)

Old 10-08-2003, 05:22 AM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 14:16:51 -0400
"BenignVanilla" wrote:

I think all top posters should be shot.

BV.

And lingering death to bigots!

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:12 PM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 11:00:01 GMT
"Nedra" wrote:

Top posters are frowned on in most other newsgroups.
What you have posted is a top post. The kind I like.

What you usually post is a bottom post.... these are the
ones that quote the previous posts .... and then the current
post. These drive me to distraction... why I seldom answer
them. Wading thru all the posts.... Arrrggghhhhhhhh

Nedra

And that's where snipping out the extranious junk comes in. Why waste
other's time and bandwidth with a bunch of text to which you are not
replying? Bottom posting /after good snipping/ is only polite but most
folks apparently don't wish to be polite. This wish is compounded by
Microsoft 'newsreaders' that give you a prompt at the top. Bad form,
still.

Cybe R. Wizard
Old 10-08-2003, 10:05 PM
Nedra

Cybe, Please see SLOTHEAD's post in the thread you initiated:
"Why top posting is bad" ...

Nedra

"Cybe R. Wizard" wrote in message
news:20030810150628.5df1716e.cyber_wizard@mindspri ng.com...

Old 11-08-2003, 06:07 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Bottom posting /after good snipping/ is only polite but most
folks apparently don't wish to be polite. This wish is compounded by
Microsoft 'newsreaders' that give you a prompt at the top. Bad form,
still. Cybe R. Wizard

I'm not sure if it's always rudeness or not knowing how to use their
editing features on their keyboards correctly. I'm curious, how many people
on here all know how to do a block highlight and delete? ~ jan