Old 09-08-2003, 02:37 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Space Under Deck

I have a deck that is about 4 feet off the ground. I built lattice around
the base last year to hide the ugly dirt piles under neath. Since we moved
in, I have tried to figure out what to do with the space. It's not really
good for storage because 1) It's only got a four foot clearance, and I don't
want to see junk piled up under it.

Any ideas?

I wonder if it would be a good place for a bog?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

Old 09-08-2003, 02:38 PM
MattR

I'd say put the bog some place else. I had a small pond that went half
way under a deck and getting under it to work on the back side of the
pond was a pain in the top of the head and the knees.

Matt

Old 09-08-2003, 02:38 PM
Lee Brouillet

And if you built it under the deck, it wouldn't get much sun. However, it's
the perfect place for a pump/filter house if you ever decide to add more
filtration then your veggie filter - but like Matt said, watch your head!

OTH, the kids would probably LOVE it for a fort!

Lee

Old 09-08-2003, 02:38 PM
BenignVanilla

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
I have a deck that is about 4 feet off the ground. I built lattice around
the base last year to hide the ugly dirt piles under neath. Since we moved
in, I have tried to figure out what to do with the space. It's not really
good for storage because 1) It's only got a four foot clearance, and I

don't
want to see junk piled up under it.

All good ideas...but I really want to USE the space. It seems a shame to
just hide it, and it is too far from the pond to be a pump area.

Does anything cool grow in total shade?

BV.

Old 09-08-2003, 02:38 PM
K30a

BV wrote Does anything cool grow in total shade?

Algae ;-)

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...ors/index.html
Old 09-08-2003, 02:38 PM
john rutz

K30a wrote:
BV wrote Does anything cool grow in total shade?

Algae ;-)

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...ors/index.html

-- there ya go there are lily ponds, Koi ponds frog bogs water gardens
BV can start a new trend algae gardens ******* Martha Stewart can
do a special on it

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 09-08-2003, 02:38 PM
BenignVanilla

"john rutz" wrote in message

K30a wrote:
BV wrote Does anything cool grow in total shade?

Algae ;-)

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...ors/index.html

-- there ya go there are lily ponds, Koi ponds frog bogs water gardens
BV can start a new trend algae gardens ******* Martha Stewart can
do a special on it

Should I add clay to this one too?

BV.

Old 09-08-2003, 02:38 PM
groovy

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
I have a deck that is about 4 feet off the ground. I built lattice around
the base last year to hide the ugly dirt piles under neath. Since we moved
in, I have tried to figure out what to do with the space. It's not really
good for storage because 1) It's only got a four foot clearance, and I

don't
want to see junk piled up under it.

Any ideas?

I wonder if it would be a good place for a bog?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

It would be the perfect place to grow mushrooms on some old logs. Fried
mushrooms for breakfast yum.

Also in Italy, I saw something that might work. Vertical walls of very rough
concrete with hand moulded 'pockets' in them. The pockets are filled with
soil and then ferns and some sort of tiny red orchids are planted. Delicate
variegated ivy are planted at ground level and climb up the rough concrete.
To reflect light into the area polished marble (obviously not the good stuff
but the offcuts) is laid on the floor and outside as well. The effect is of
grotto. A couple of lighted water features and it becomes the perfect
place to sit when its too hot in the garden.

Old 09-08-2003, 02:38 PM
K30a

groovy wrote The effect is of
a grotto.

Wow, sounds loverly.
And BV could use it to hide out
while waiting for racoons.

Old 09-08-2003, 02:38 PM
john rutz

"groovy" wrote in message

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message

one thing that might work and look good would be hosta's and ferns they do well in deep shade

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 09-08-2003, 02:38 PM
Anne Lurie

BV,

You've given me a *great* idea! Instead of wasting time & effort filling in
the body-sized holes that our dogs dug under our deck (maybe *that's* where
Jimmy Hoffa is!), we should turn it into a frog bog!

The sides might be a bit steep -- and we'd probably need to buy Mosquito
Bits by the truckload, but hey! 'Course, I'm not all that keen on finding
out what a dog smells like after lounging around in a nice cool frog bog, so
perhaps I'll just let the idea go for now.

We had 2.2" of rain in less than 2 hours this morning; I'm amazed the entire
yard isn't one big bog.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 09-08-2003, 02:39 PM
Theo van Daele

I like that idea very much !

"groovy" schreef in bericht
The effect is of a grotto. A couple of lighted water features and it

becomes the perfect place to sit when its too hot in the garden.