Old 13-08-2003, 07:43 PM
Thenewguy

Default My pond

hey. this is my pond http://www.thehvscene.com/pond.htm
from all the advice ive been getting on this newsgroup my pond is slowly but
surlely cleaning up.... it seems as if after the night when the pump isnt
running the pond looks clearer in the AM. than when it goes on ( the pump
supplys the waterfall ) through out the day theres a build up of floating
chunks of algea, and the water has less clarity. am i pushing to much water
around? should i be running the pump throughout the whole day 24/7 ? so if
anyone has any advice on that id love to hear it...im also putting some
plants right before the waterfall, does this help? 2 more things, i have
some iris's that im potting and adding them into my pond. is this worth
doing?? and will they survive in 2 feet of water? the last thing is....i
have duckweed growing naturally in in a small creek behind my house, when
ever i take a hand full of em and put em in my pond, theyre gone the next
day!, i dont think theyre going out the drainage....any advice?
THANX ALOT!!!!!

Old 13-08-2003, 10:22 PM
claude rogers

Hi new guy, welcome aboard.......First off your pump should be running 24/7
as long as the water is above 40 and 50 degrees. Second, the more plants
the better, 2 feet of water is pretty deep for iris, you should probably set
them on some sort of plant stand, milk crate, pvc stand, bricks, blocks,
something of that nature. Iris generally like between 2 and 8 inches over
them. Duckweed, if you have fish, especially koi, is most of the time a
treat to eat, that's probably where it is going. What kind of filtration
are you using, how big is the pump per gallon of circulation, and generally
the more surface water movement the better for oxygen exchange. One more
important thing to remember there are a lot more people on here that know
boat loads more than me, and any advice you receive from me is worth exactly
what you paid for it.....tee hee..........Pond looks great by the
way.....good luck ponding.......Claude

Old 13-08-2003, 10:42 PM
Gale Pearce

Your pump should be running 24/7 - at night it will help aerate your pond
with the waterfall and if you have a bio-filter, it will never work without
water constantly being pumped through it - I have Iris's in my pond (water
iris) but have them planted as marginals on a 12" shelf - if you have fish ,
they are eating your duckweed - they love it
Sounds like you have things pretty well figured out, except for the pump
thing - mine only stops to do maintenance on it or the filter
Gale :~)

Old 14-08-2003, 03:32 AM
Thenewguy

so....to prove im thenewguy! whats a bio-filter?obviously stands for
biological filter..so is this what the plants are for ...to provide a bio,
natural filter of the water? otherwise , my filter is just 2 sheets of very
dense material that alow water to passthrough but not particals of
algea...and i actually have 2 pumps. theyre both like 1/4 horse power, they
dont push that much water around...the thing is ..IS it too much water? is
it possible that the water from the waterfall is disturbing the layer of
slime of the bottom and thats making the rest of the pond unclear? give me
some hints about filtration of a pond please, like i got one that says that
my pumps shouldnt be close to the bottom, i used that and it helped! is
there anything else i need to know?

Old 14-08-2003, 04:02 AM
Karen Mullen

Hi Thenewguy.

You basically have 3 types of filtration, mechanical for junk like flower
petals, leaves, grasses etc, biological for converting ammonia (fish waste)
into nitrates that fertilize your plants, and plants which remove excess
nutirents from the water thru roots. They all work together.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 15-08-2003, 06:00 AM
RichToyBox

"Thenewguy" wrote in message
hey. this is my pond http://www.thehvscene.com/pond.htm
from all the advice ive been getting on this newsgroup my pond is slowly

but
surlely cleaning up.... it seems as if after the night when the pump isnt
running the pond looks clearer in the AM. than when it goes on ( the pump
supplys the waterfall ) through out the day theres a build up of floating
chunks of algea, and the water has less clarity. am i pushing to much

water
around? should i be running the pump throughout the whole day 24/7 ?

The chunks of algae float up during the day to take advantage of the
sunlight, and sink back to the bottom at night. The pumps have very little
to do with the algae becoming suspended. If the pumps are being run 24/7,
as they should be, and the intake is near the bottom, you will actually
catch more of the algae during the night when it settles back to the pump
intake, than during the day, when it is trying to float to the surface.
There is almost no such thing as to much water flow by the pumps. If the
current in the pond requires the fish to constantly fight the current, like
swimming into the waterfall, then they may need some reduction to be able to
sleep.
--
RichToyBox

Old 15-08-2003, 11:14 PM
Thenewguy

hey,..i was wondering how can i construct a bio filter and will it help
clean my pond......i have more plants and theyre growing ..ok .. im getting
a bunch of flowers coming up on my lillies. Its been extremly hot here , and
with the power outage my pumps werent running that much. My filter situation
is:
2 pumps that are about 1/4 horse power each. they pour out into a small
about 2 gallon hole that has 2 pieces of material that catch particles
before they flow down the waterfall. This system runs from 6am-12pm
everyday. Anything wrong here? any advice on a better filtering system that
can be home made and cheap?
Thanx alot
Http://www.thehvscene.com/pond.htm

Old 16-08-2003, 02:22 AM
RichToyBox

There have been several posts on different DIY filters, and I am sure
someone will jump in and give the links again. The pump should be run 24/7
and for most of the country, I think 365.
--
RichToyBox

Old 16-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Tom La Bron

Thenewguy,

The biggest problem with your running water the way you do is that biobugs,
on the average, die off after 12 hours.

Tom L.L.
--------------------

Old 16-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Nedra

Thenewguy,
You really need to run your pumps 24/7. When you shut
off the pumps for the night you are defeating the purpose
of having them run at all.

Nedra

Old 17-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Thenewguy

my pond pumps are now running 24/7 here are the NEWEST pics of my pond as of
8/17 check them out, maybe ull have some tips for me

Old 17-08-2003, 10:12 PM
Anne Lurie

I thought the pump should run 24/7 year-round, if possible, so that gases
that build up under ice in a frozen pond can be released? I know that in my
teeny water garden, the pump is what keeps the whole thing from freezing
over (which should be fairly rare here in Raleigh, NC, but......)

Anne Lurie

"claude rogers" wrote in message
Hi new guy, welcome aboard.......First off your pump should be running

24/7
as long as the water is above 40 and 50 degrees.

[rest snipped]