Old 16-08-2003, 02:02 AM
Bob in PA

Default Ping: Tom la Bron

Hi Tom,

I'm one of the people that you sent lilies to, about a month and a half
ago. I'm just wondering if you happen to have any shubunkins in the pond
with the lilies? I went out to my lily pond and saw at least three 2 inch
(including tail) baby shubunkins.
Another question I have (for the general population): I bought two
shubunkins about a month ago. Is it possible that they bred and the babies
grew to be two inchs in one month? I think that even under optimal
conditions, that's stretching it. My new lily pond is a little more than
700 gallons, no filter, and a 300 gph pump. I've got several lilies and the
surface is completely covered with azolla.

Thanks,

Bob

--

See the blue koi that everyone is raving about!!
Check out my pond webpage:

Click on the My Pond Link under Places to Go

Take ME away to reply

Old 17-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Tom La Bron

Default Tom la Bron

Hi Bob,

No, Shubunkins is one fish that I don't have. I had some 11 inch Bristol
Shubunkins about 4 years ago, but I don't have them any more. I didn't send
enough water with the lilies to keep any eggs alive that is for sure even if
I did have Shubunkins.

It is possible that your new Shubunkins had a love feast after you brought
them home. Many Goldfish breed when brought to a new environment.
Secondly, water magnifies what your see some, and if it includes a tail your
new little one are possibly from your new fish. Under the right conditions
torpedo shaped varieties of Goldfish can grow quickly especially if the pond
is good. Floating plants like Azolla are great for growing fry because the
root systems of these plants attract a lot of micro-organism that are good
for fry to grow but too small for adult fish to bother with unless they are
eating the entire plant.

Do you have any other types of torpedo shaped Goldfish? If not, it is
probably the Shubunkins.

You must be doing it right. Wait until next Spring you will possibly be
giving Shubunkins away. And you will probably have to to keep your stocking
levels down.

Tom L.L.
-----------------------------------

Old 17-08-2003, 04:12 PM
Bob in PA

Thanks for the quick reply Tom. I was planning on only keeping two fish
in there, but it seems like I'm going to have to get a filter for next
season. I'll wait until the fall clearance stuff comes out.

Thanks for your help,

Bob

--

New Layout!!

Old 18-08-2003, 12:23 AM
Tom La Bron

Bob, Your Welcome.

Enjoy the fall clearances. Here in Oklahoma clearances on pond items is not
seen very often where I am at, because of milder winters that we usually
have to endure here, pond items are a big Christmas item purchases, so very
little ever goes on sale, except items that no one wants to buy and those
items are few and far between.

If the sales are good enough buy more filtering capacity than you need,
that way if you expand you have a filter ready to use.
Good Luck!!!

Tom L.L.

Old 18-08-2003, 05:32 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 08:45:36 -0400, "Bob in PA" wrote:

I bought two shubunkins about a month ago. Is it possible that they bred and the babies
grew to be two inchs in one month? I think that even under optimal
conditions, that's stretching it. My new lily pond is a little more than
700 gallons, no filter, and a 300 gph pump. I've got several lilies and the
surface is completely covered with azolla.

Sure, especially if you feed your fish. My fantails have been in for 2
months and yesterday I saw some babies well over an inch. They would
probably be bigger if I fed the fish, but there is plenty in the pond for
them to munch on. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Ping Tom Bell K Barrett Orchids 2 01-11-2008 02:55 AM
Ping Tom K Barrett Orchid Photos 6 07-03-2008 12:08 AM
Bron mandolin for $50 ??? Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com Gardening 4 07-12-2005 09:53 PM
Ping Tom LaBron re catfish food Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 1 28-10-2005 10:55 PM
GOOD LORD !!! TOMTOM OT OT OT Mary kate Ponds 13 27-07-2004 02:03 PM