Old 25-08-2003, 06:03 AM
*muffin*

Default my Pl*co behavior (g)

watching the pond last night (with the lights on in the pond)
it was fascinating watching these fish swim around.... and there was the BIG
Pl*co (which is over 10") swimming on its back,, sucking at the water
slurping in the floating fish food.

(awww he was soooo cute ...I hope we can catch him in an inopportune moment
so we can get him inside for the winter.)

I'll try to post pics.

Old 25-08-2003, 06:24 AM
jammer

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 00:27:59 -0400, "*muffin*"
wrote:

watching the pond last night (with the lights on in the pond)
it was fascinating watching these fish swim around.... and there was the BIG
Pl*co (which is over 10") swimming on its back,, sucking at the water
slurping in the floating fish food.

(awww he was soooo cute ...I hope we can catch him in an inopportune moment
so we can get him inside for the winter.)

I'll try to post pics.

I had to go looking for a picture of a pleco and found this
interesting.

Feeding

Plecos should not have to rely on naturally growing algae alone as
their only diet. As they mature they lose their algae eating
tendencies somewhat and must be fed a basic diet of sinking
herbivorous foods. Lettuce or zucchini strapped to a rock with a
rubber band makes a great snack for your Pleco. Dried algae tablets
can also be purchased and make a great daily food. Plecos will
generally leave plants alone providing they get enough vegetable
matter in the diet.

Water Chemistry

Hypostomus plecostomus is a very hardy species that will adapt to most
aquarium conditions. Avoid keeping the fish in extreme pH levels or
temperatures and it will usually thrive.

Breeding

Due to the adult size of these catfish, most successful breedings have
occured in ponds with steep clay or mud banks. They dig tunnels close
to the water level and the males guard the eggs until they hatch.

Hypostomus Plecostomus

Common Name(s):
Plecostomus; Pleco; Sucker Mouth
Family:
Loricariidae
Origin:
South American rivers
Max Size:
18"
pH:
Neutral
Temp:
74-82 F.
Tank Size:
45 Gallons
Feeding:
Herbivorous

Old 25-08-2003, 01:02 PM
magus kent

"*muffin*" wrote in
:

watching the pond last night (with the lights on in the pond)
it was fascinating watching these fish swim around.... and there was
the BIG Pl*co (which is over 10") swimming on its back,, sucking at
the water slurping in the floating fish food.

(awww he was soooo cute ...I hope we can catch him in an inopportune
moment so we can get him inside for the winter.)

I'll try to post pics.

Here in zone 5 I won't even try a pl*co outside, but when I have to catch
one in an aquarium I'll put a piece of appropriately sized PVC pipe in
and when he goes in, reach in, cover bothe ends and lift out the pipe
with occupant. This works on small ones and my (approx) fifteen sailfin
pl*co in a 90 gal tank...m
Old 25-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Nedra

? Why are we not spelling out the word Pleco?

Nedra

"magus kent" wrote in message
"*muffin*" wrote in
:

Old 25-08-2003, 04:22 PM
Roger Bennett

"*muffin*" wrote in message
(awww he was soooo cute ...I hope we can catch him in an inopportune

moment
so we can get him inside for the winter.)

An easy but dangerous way to catch them in the fall is to wait for the first
chilly morning below about 55 dgr.F.More than likely your pl*co will be
lethargic and trying to sun itself in shallow water to warm up. Scoop it up
in a bucket, bring it inside, and gradually let it warm to room temp(in the
bucket) using a low wattage aquarium heater (like one made for a 5 gallon
aquarium). I say dangerous because I've had about an 80% success rate but it
was the only way I could catch mine because of the water plants and the
pl*co's normal nocturnal behavior. And yes, the first year it was totally by
accident, that I found three in different ponds on the same morning. If you
try it this way, you MUST check every morning once the weather begins to
cool down and your surface pond temp drops to near 70 F. because you never
know exactly which morning the water temp will drop to the critical temp.
and you MUST warm them back up gradually or that shock might also kill them.

RGB
Zone 5 OH

Old 25-08-2003, 05:32 PM
joe

Nedra wrote:

? Why are we not spelling out the word Pleco?

Someone in an earlier post (not this subject line) said that there was some
superstition on aquarium news groups that if you spelled out pleco the pleco
in question would die, hence pl*co.

Weird.

Joe

Old 25-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Neil Law

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 13:30:03 GMT, "Nedra" wrote:

? Why are we not spelling out the word Pleco?

There's a superstition (forget the origin) that if you spell out the word your
Pl*co will die (I have 4 in my aquarium, mom, pop, brother and sister and I
don't want anything to happen to them :-).
Old 25-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Andrew Burgess

"*muffin*" writes:

watching the pond last night (with the lights on in the pond)
it was fascinating watching these fish swim around.... and there was the BIG
Pl*co (which is over 10") swimming on its back,, sucking at the water
slurping in the floating fish food.

(awww he was soooo cute ...I hope we can catch him in an inopportune moment
so we can get him inside for the winter.)

One thing I remember about plecos is when you catch them they stick their
fins straight out and they are very sharp! Be careful.

Old 25-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Andrew Burgess

"Nedra" writes:

? Why are we not spelling out the word Pleco?

The myth is that if you had one he would now be doomed.

It started years ago in rec.aquaria when several people post things like "I've
had my pleco for years and he's doing well" then a few days later said pleco
would have died.

Old 25-08-2003, 08:22 PM
ajames54

wrote:

watching the pond last night (with the lights on in the pond)
it was fascinating watching these fish swim around.... and there was the BIG
Pl*co (which is over 10") swimming on its back,, sucking at the water
slurping in the floating fish food.

(awww he was soooo cute ...I hope we can catch him in an inopportune moment
so we can get him inside for the winter.)

I'll try to post pics.

I've found the best way to catch mine was to put a chunk of
zucchini in the net... and put the net into the water... and
wait....then just lift the whole bunch out when he/she is in the
net feeding.. those things are strong and very fast when they
want to be.

Old 25-08-2003, 10:22 PM
*muffin*

I am in zone 5 northern Ohio. he was purchased in may with the goldfish &
has been outside since.

do you 'bait' the pipe with anything??

Old 26-08-2003, 08:32 AM
Paul

Buy some gloves and be patient I had enough trouble catching a 10" pl*co in
a 4 foot tank. They are quick and feel like rough sandpaper.

Paul

Old 26-08-2003, 12:32 PM
magus kent

"*muffin*" wrote in
:

I am in zone 5 northern Ohio. he was purchased in may with the
goldfish & has been outside since.

do you 'bait' the pipe with anything??

No. Idea is to give the pl*co somewhere dark to hide in. For my 15 inch
pl*co I'll use a piece of pipe about two foot long..m
Old 27-08-2003, 05:32 PM
LeeAnne

mine always loved romaine lettuce - I use a clip on a suction cup to keep it
in place in the tank and they come up and eat it. If you have a pond you
could simply hold the lettuce in place w/a rock so it doesn't float about.

Do not use iceberg lettuce as it has zero nutritional value.

LeeAnne

------
Common Name(s):
Plecostomus; Pleco; Sucker Mouth
Family:
Loricariidae
Origin:
South American rivers
Max Size:
18"
pH:
Neutral
Temp:
74-82 F.
Tank Size:
45 Gallons
Feeding:
Herbivorous

Strange behavior... SueAndHerZoo Ponds 34 20-03-2004 03:42 AM
Greg/jan/others - H2O Hardness indicated, help was Strange Koi behavior, now dead. K30a Ponds 1 18-05-2003 06:44 AM
Strange Koi Behavior itten Ponds 13 17-05-2003 02:56 AM
Low cholesterol beef, humane handling"touch", behavior modifacation Michael sci.agriculture 11 26-04-2003 12:25 PM
tetra species behavior LeighMo Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:15 AM