Old 05-09-2003, 10:32 PM
Megan

Default First critter

Hey all, just wanted to share my excitement. We just got the liner in the
hole a few days ago and yesterday morning we put a few hundred gallons of
water in it (i'm guessing it'll be about 3000 gallons when full) to start
working the wrinkles out. This morning i was down in the water cause i
forgot to put the cover on the bottom the drain, and what scooted by me, but
a water glider/skipper. i was quite excited. critters in one day, i was
amazed. just thought i'd share, thanks for reading!

-megs

Old 05-09-2003, 11:12 PM
BenignVanilla

"Megan" wrote in message
Hey all, just wanted to share my excitement. We just got the liner in the
hole a few days ago and yesterday morning we put a few hundred gallons of
water in it (i'm guessing it'll be about 3000 gallons when full) to start
working the wrinkles out. This morning i was down in the water cause i
forgot to put the cover on the bottom the drain, and what scooted by me,

but
a water glider/skipper. i was quite excited. critters in one day, i was
amazed. just thought i'd share, thanks for reading!

This was my favorite part of starting up my pond...going out every day and
seeing who moved in. A water strider or two. A frog. Dragon flies. Damsel
Flies. It's awesome to see it come to life.

BV.

Old 06-09-2003, 12:02 AM
jammer

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 14:25:04 -0700, "Megan"
wrote:

Hey all, just wanted to share my excitement. We just got the liner in the
hole a few days ago and yesterday morning we put a few hundred gallons of
water in it (i'm guessing it'll be about 3000 gallons when full) to start
working the wrinkles out. This morning i was down in the water cause i
forgot to put the cover on the bottom the drain, and what scooted by me, but
a water glider/skipper. i was quite excited. critters in one day, i was
amazed. just thought i'd share, thanks for reading!

-megs

Well when you have toads or tadpoles, your REALLY gonna flip! LOL
I understand your excitement. This group put up with my first toad BY
the pond, first one IN the pond, toadpoles, and damselfly nymphs, and
yes, I have had mine for one year and i cant want for next spring to
see how many of the baby toads come and eat at night. In 3 years, any
toadpoles that survived will try to make it's way back to my pond to
mate. I CANT WAIT! (2 yrs for one sex and 3 for the other) It should
be VERY exciting for me!

Enjoy!!!!!
Old 06-09-2003, 12:46 AM
Anne Lurie

Welcome to critterdom, Megan!

BTW, as far as the capacity of your pond, a poster here on rec.ponds (from
the UK, I think) has a link to a volume calculator on his website -- alas,
I don't have it bookmarked, though. (You could always do the math the
old-fashioned way, but I don't have the patience for that.)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 06-09-2003, 01:22 AM
Anne Lurie

And, then, if you're like me -- it isn't *really* spring until you hear
the toads calling from the water garden for the first time! (Actually,
that's not exactly true here in North Carolina, as our seasons are more like
"before Summer, Summer, after Summer, and brief respite for the gardeners
among us"! Even then, I look out the window & see the weeds going "neener
neener neener, we're working & you're not!")

So, while the rest of you are wondering about how to "winter" your
ponds/fish/plants, the folks in my area are just welcoming Fall, at long
last!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 06-09-2003, 02:23 AM
Dave Fouchey

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 23:47:00 GMT, "Anne Lurie"
wrote:

And, then, if you're like me -- it isn't *really* spring until you hear
the toads calling from the water garden for the first time! (Actually,
that's not exactly true here in North Carolina, as our seasons are more like
"before Summer, Summer, after Summer, and brief respite for the gardeners
among us"! Even then, I look out the window & see the weeds going "neener
neener neener, we're working & you're not!")

So, while the rest of you are wondering about how to "winter" your
ponds/fish/plants, the folks in my area are just welcoming Fall, at long
last!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Well when I lived in Miami, it was Summer High Summer Late Summer and
Sort of Summer.... South Carolina was as you describe North Carolina.
Now that I am back home in Michigan Winter IS!G

Having hundreds of Toads doing the reproduction boogie in your pond is
a grand sound experience...

Dave

"jammer" wrote in message
.. .
Well when you have toads or tadpoles, your REALLY gonna flip! LOL
I understand your excitement. This group put up with my first toad BY
the pond, first one IN the pond, toadpoles, and damselfly nymphs, and
yes, I have had mine for one year and i cant want for next spring to
see how many of the baby toads come and eat at night. In 3 years, any
toadpoles that survived will try to make it's way back to my pond to
mate. I CANT WAIT! (2 yrs for one sex and 3 for the other) It should
be VERY exciting for me!

Enjoy!!!!!

Dave Fouchey, WA4EMR
http://photos.yahoo.com/davefouchey
Southeastern Lower Michigan
42° 35' 20'' N,
82° 58' 37'' W
GMT Offset: -5
Time Zone: Eastern

Old 06-09-2003, 03:42 AM
mad

here in far, southwest texas it's 'before summer', 'summer', 'after summer'
and '3-weeks-around-christmas-and-new-years-when-the-night-temps-drop-
below-30ºF-and-the-day-temps-stay-at-65ºF'. i love it here! :-D
mad
--
"We are all born mad. Some remain so."
Irish playwright Samuel Beckett

From: Dave Fouchey
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 21:04:10 -0400
Subject: First critter

Old 06-09-2003, 05:04 AM
K30a

When my first critter showed up I was astounded!
How did it get there?

I found out that most of these critters have wings and they take off at night
watching for the glitter and reflection of the moon and the stars off of water.
You can fool them and catch these insects on a sheet of black plastic laid on
the lawn.
But I think they are more fun when they show up in the pond ;-)

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 06-09-2003, 05:15 AM
sandra

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
Welcome to critterdom, Megan!

BTW, as far as the capacity of your pond, a poster here on rec.ponds (from
the UK, I think) has a link to a volume calculator on his website --

alas,
I don't have it bookmarked, though. (You could always do the math the
old-fashioned way, but I don't have the patience for that.)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

this is one I use for everything...not doing math the old way either.
sandra :)
http://www.onlineconversion.com/

Old 06-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Megan

Huh, that's cool. makes sense. i know awhile back you posted some links to
(pond)critter identification pages. could you please post those again. i
thought i bookmarked them, but now i can't seem to find them. thanks!

megs

Old 06-09-2003, 05:02 PM
K30a

megan wrote you posted some links to
(pond)critter identification pages

Probably was this one?

http://www.people.Virginia.EDU/~sos-...oKeyIntro.HTML

Old 08-09-2003, 07:13 PM
K30a

Bob wrote there were a bazillion critters in there.

Oh, how very kewl!!
thanks for the welcome back :-)

Old 12-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Susan H. Simko

Anne Lurie wrote:

And, then, if you're like me -- it isn't *really* spring until you hear
the toads calling from the water garden for the first time! (Actually,
that's not exactly true here in North Carolina, as our seasons are more like
"before Summer, Summer, after Summer, and brief respite for the gardeners
among us"! Even then, I look out the window & see the weeds going "neener
neener neener, we're working & you're not!")

and they sit out there and gloat, plotting lawn take over if you miss a
day or two in the yard *ever*.

So, while the rest of you are wondering about how to "winter" your
ponds/fish/plants, the folks in my area are just welcoming Fall, at long
last!

Of course, expecting summer temps this week, I put some silicone sealant
on my waterfall. Naturally, the temps dropped and it has yet to totally
cure. Oh well, so much for celebrating my 42nd b'day by restarting the
waterfall. *smile*

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu