Old 12-09-2003, 08:48 AM
kristian

Default What kind of turtle is this?

http://www.ourdogs.com/pics/turtleanduck.jpg

Pic is from pond in back of my house, I'd guess the length of the
shell is about 8"-10" sometimes there are up to 3 on the log.
I don't know anything about turtles and wondered what kind of turtles
they are.

Old 12-09-2003, 04:33 PM
K30a

I love the picture!!
Painted turtles are one of the most
common species in the country. Also
looks like a River cooter, who are found
in the south.

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 13-09-2003, 04:22 AM
kristian

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message ...
Where are you?

should have mentioned that in my OP . WA state (USA) Seattle area.
Old 13-09-2003, 04:42 AM
K30a

Here is a picture of our native
pacific northwest turtle,
the western pond turtle
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/watchable/turtl.html

Old 13-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Moontanman

It looks like a yellow neck slider but I'm not sure if they live where you do.

Moon
remove nospam from e-mail to send to me, I grow trees in aquariums like bonsai.
I breed dwarf crayfish, great for planted community tanks. If you can get me a
shovelnose sturgeon fingerling (Scaphirhynchus platorynchus) no wild caught
please, contact me
Old 14-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Bob Adkins

On 12 Sep 2003 00:41:30 -0700, (kristian) wrote:

http://www.ourdogs.com/pics/turtleanduck.jpg

Pic is from pond in back of my house, I'd guess the length of the
shell is about 8"-10" sometimes there are up to 3 on the log.
I don't know anything about turtles and wondered what kind of turtles
they are.

Could be several types of sliders, cooters, red ear, and many local
variants. They're genetically very close to being the same turtle, but they
have local names based mostly on their markings. Down here in LA, we have
mostly the red ear turtle, but some variants have no red ears. I suspect all
these turtles could interbreed. Ask a local fisherman, and he will tell you
the local name for your friends.

Bob

Turtle Pond KerplunKuK Ponds 0 08-03-2004 07:36 PM
Outdoor turtle habitat Dave Bell Ponds 3 01-04-2003 12:44 AM
Turtle time Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 2 26-03-2003 09:56 PM
turtle made it [email protected] Ponds 2 19-03-2003 12:44 AM
behold the turtle K30a Ponds 0 11-03-2003 06:58 PM