Old 13-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Dan

Default Lotus Planting Depth

Can Lotus plants be planted too deep? Can I plant at bottom of 4 foot deep
pond?

Old 13-09-2003, 03:32 PM
Glenn S.

As usual, everyone will have their opinion on this. In the spring, my large
Lotus pot fell off the ledge that I had built in the pond and settled in
comfortably at the 3' deep end of the pond - luckily it remained upright. I
had lots of floating leaves, many verticals, and just as many lovely blooms
this year as I did last year when it was on the 1' deep ledge.

I doubt that an extra foot would make that much difference. Could you
possibly place the pot on some blocks so that it isn't sitting on the bottom
of the pond. And if you're worried about the block sitting on the liner (if
you have a liner bottom), do like I do. My pump is sitting on a cinder
block and the cinder block is sitting on a piece of 1/2" styrofoam.

gds
Harpers Ferry, WV (Zone 6)

Old 17-09-2003, 02:43 AM
ponder

lotus need lots of heat and light and this is why thy should be closer to
the top, as to how far down I think you may have some trouble at that depth.

Old 18-09-2003, 12:22 AM
Gregory Young

Agreed.. they are emergent plants, and unlike the lilies prefer shallow
depths.
That being said the larger varieties (Hindu, etc), can easily grow in
natural ponds over 6 feet in depth.
They all will do well in just a couple inches of water however. Plus they
are much easier to get at to fertilize, trim, repot, etc, etc
Happy ponding,
Greg