Old 28-10-2003, 04:32 AM
FBCS

Default Fire all around me! Great News.

Yea!! So glad it is well with you and yours. So sad many have lost much. My
brother is a fire fighter, started as a volunteer at 16 and loves it still
today 25 years later. A selfless profession or should I say vocation. Joann
"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
Thank you all for your good wishes again.

The fire was three houses from me.
Flame about 50 feet up in the air, and winds gusting at 60 mph. Whirling
like a tornado. Shifting direction every few seconds. Total darkness and
chaos in a matter of minutes once the eucalyptus trees caught on fire!

A city about 20 miles east of me (San Bernardino) lost over 250 houses,

city
west of me (Claremont) was rumored to have lost 30 houses so far, and my
neighborhood lost some 20 or so homes. We just got electricity back.

Some shrubs around my pond burnt, but my house did not catch fire!

My opinion of fire fighters and hell is totally different! I saw the
firemen and women almost like angels! I was in this slow motion mental
void, and saw them almost moving in shot burst as they went about their
business. People I was afraid and running away from the fire, and here

the
fire men with no investment in our houses running into the fire! And a 50
feet wall of flame some 200-300 feet long gives out a heat like you can't
describe! If hell is anything like that......!

Anyway all is well, no one died in my area. My Family, including my dogs
are ok! All my Koi are ok so far, I cleaned all the murk from the pond as
best as I can, and they are just fine now!

Thanks again, and yes indeed, the fire brought all the neighbors together.
We were all looking out for each other. I had to help an older neighbor

of
mine walk one of his two horses a few miles down the hill away from the
fire. We had never spoken to each other ever before.

Got to go do some more cleaning and prepare for tomorrow, the kids for
school and me for work!

Good night all!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 28-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Axolotl

"Theo van Daele" wrote in message
This was actually a major news item in Belgium as well :-(

Apparently at least 2 of the 3 fires did not start by accident... people

who
do that kind of thing, erm... I dunno.

One was started by a hunter who used a flare gun to signal his partner.
duh!!!!

Old 28-10-2003, 06:02 PM
mad

i am SO glad you are safe!
mad
--
AIBOHPHOBIA - the fear of palindromes...

Old 28-10-2003, 11:42 PM
Anne Lurie

Glad to hear that you and the family are safe!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 29-10-2003, 12:42 AM
Cichlidiot

Axolotl wrote:
One was started by a hunter who used a flare gun to signal his partner.
duh!!!!

Well, while the consequences have been severe, the actual act of sending
off the flare was not as stupid as you seem to imply. I mean for years
hikers, hunters, boaters, etc have been ingrained to do such when lost or
in trouble.

In my mind, such an accident is nowhere near as bad as the arsonists who
set some of the other fires. That hunter is probably going to get his life
ruined over a non-malicious accident (which had severe consequences I
know, but there is still the fact it was an accident) whereas they'll
probably never catch the malicious arsonists. Perhaps I am being too
logical, but in my mind, accidents happen to even the most honest and
law-abiding of people and they should not be punished as severely as those
who intentionally cause such things.

Old 29-10-2003, 03:32 AM
Just Me \Koi\

I know it's going to sound crazy, if I was asked I will suggest that the
hunter be let be! Yes set free without a penny in fine, or a second in jail
because it was an accident.

The fire has actually turned out to be a blessing in a natural way. How you
ask?
1. Fire is nature's way of rejuvenating the forest.
2. We have so many dead pine and Eucalyptus trees from an attack by an
endangered black beetle. It was sickening to see a forest that was suppose
to be lush turn brown, and the beetle being protected has to be left alone
to do damage. The trees then turned to fuel for an otherwise basic fire!

Anyway just my 2 cents which right now is only worth an ash and a smoke!
(Fire joke that is)

--
_______________________________________

Old 29-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Jed

Jed wrote:

I know it's going to sound crazy, if I was asked I will suggest that the
hunter be let be! Yes set free without a penny in fine, or a second in jail
because it was an accident.

The fire has actually turned out to be a blessing in a natural way. How you
ask?
1. Fire is nature's way of rejuvenating the forest.
2. We have so many dead pine and Eucalyptus trees from an attack by an
endangered black beetle. It was sickening to see a forest that was suppose
to be lush turn brown, and the beetle being protected has to be left alone
to do damage. The trees then turned to fuel for an otherwise basic fire!

Anyway just my 2 cents which right now is only worth an ash and a smoke!
(Fire joke that is)

I'm going to make an assumption he you obviously are not one of the
1,600+ who have lost their homes. (or their lives)

In your attempt to appear ecologically "smart", you offend without
even trying hard. Stuff your "2 cents".

Controlled burns are fruitful most of the time. Arsonists are killers
and destroyers of lifetimes. They should be lined up and shot.
Please stop trying to justify their existance.
Old 29-10-2003, 11:42 PM
J.D. Stone

Where have you been? You obviously haven't been following any threads in
this group about Just me "Koi". Guess where he lives, troll?

Old 30-10-2003, 12:42 AM
Anne Lurie

Jed, I think you are out of line.

First, if you had followed this thread from the beginning, you'd know that
Just Me Koi (JMK) was the original poster who described "looking out of my
window at flames some 100 feet or so high less than 5 miles from me."

Second, you would not have to *assume* anything about JMK's house, etc.,
because you would have read the same posts as the rest of us, wherein he
gave us an update (no one died in his neighborhood, but about 20 houses were
destroyed). I also truly hope that I personally never learn that "a 50 feet
wall of flame some 200-300 feet long gives out a heat like you can't
describe!" that he mentions.

Third, if you look more closely at the first sentence in the post to which
you replied, you will see that JMK referred not to arsonists, but to the
*hunter* who set off the flare gun. (Although I respectfully disagree with
JMK here; if the person was hunting on public lands marked with "fire danger
level" signs that indicated no open flame should be used, the hunter should
perform some community service -- or at least be forced to sit through a
multi-media presentation detailing the consequences of his actions.)

Fourth, JMK is entitled to his $.02 opinion; you have the freedom to not
read it or rebut it, or whatever. I don't know what "ecologically 'smart' "
is, let alone know why you think this is offensive -- my interpretation
was that JMK was simply trying to find the "silver lining in the cloud." (I
do think, though, that the "endangered black beetle" theory was
inadvertently seized upon by the media and/or special interest groups. I
suspect that the tree-killing culprit is neither endangered nor protected;
rather the folks responsible for managing the forests have resigned
themselves to trying to curtail the spread of the culprit, since the
affected trees cannot be saved. I don't know about Eucalyptus trees, but
I'm afraid that dead conifers do indeed add fuel to any fire.)

Last, I'm not sure about the relevance of "controlled burns" to this thread,
since you were the first one to bring it up, I believe. I understand that
controlled burns work well in some forest management situations, but how
would you propose to conduct them in the heavily-populated area under
discussion?

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 30-10-2003, 03:32 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Thanks JD, thanks Annie, thanks for recognizing that I was not trying to be
insensitive. Having just been through it, I really appreciate some light
hearted discussion about such a serious event.

And Jed, I apologize for not being more recognitive of the emotion of those
that may still be going through what I just went through.

While the hunter may not have been the smartest of human being, I still do
not think he is a criminal! What if I was driving down the road and lost
control of my car, skid off the road into the brush, my catalytic converter
ignites a brush fire that leads to fire of this magnitude, should I be
prosecuted as a criminal, or would you accept that this is an accident?

And yes, the arsonist(s) if caught should be severely dealt with!

Enough said!

I went out to the pond this morning, all my Koi are doing great, water
parameter was excellent, and the pond really lifted my spirit. Their colors
seem so much brilliant!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

. com...

"

Old 30-10-2003, 07:12 AM
Zookeeper

Just Me \"Koi\" wrote:

Enough said!

I went out to the pond this morning, all my Koi are doing great, water
parameter was excellent, and the pond really lifted my spirit. Their colors
seem so much brilliant!

Great news! so glad to hear that your koi and pond are doing well. Is
the danger of fire in your neighborhood gone now? or is there a chance
it could turn and come back? Hope your littlest one is coping with the
smoke and ash okay. Take care.
--
Zk
3500gal pond, 13 pond piggies

Old 30-10-2003, 02:42 PM

what I have heard is they are into the 5th year of drought combined with an economic
disaster engineered by Enron et al in driving up energy costs to make a killing, the
result of which was a severe cut back in people who go into the area and pull out the
dead underbrush. Damn Eucalyptus trees are not native to California and should be
wiped out for two reasons, their sap fuels fires and they die if the temp drops.
If the trees are dead, I really dont understand what they are talking about the
beetles attacking the trees. Maybe news broadcasters dont know either, which is
typical.
Controlled burns are in areas accumulating dead underbrush away from populated areas.
Not everything burning is populated. But people are building wood houses in heavily
wooded areas, and paying bocu bucks for the land and building HUGE expensive houses
there ... most of em with wood shake roofs.
I wonder how many of them are going to think about building monolithic homes from
concrete so they wont lose their house and everything in it next time.
http://www.monolithic.com/gallery/ho...ire/index.html
http://www.monolithicdome.com/
http://www.aidomes.com/
I would think it especially important for horse barns or for other animals not
easily removed in case of fire. One woman lost her life trying to move her horses
out. Ingrid

(Ido think, though, that the "endangered black beetle" theory was
inadvertently seized upon by the media and/or special interest groups. I
suspect that the tree-killing culprit is neither endangered nor protected;
rather the folks responsible for managing the forests have resigned
themselves to trying to curtail the spread of the culprit, since the
affected trees cannot be saved. I don't know about Eucalyptus trees, but
I'm afraid that dead conifers do indeed add fuel to any fire.)

Last, I'm not sure about the relevance of "controlled burns" to this thread,
since you were the first one to bring it up, I believe. I understand that
controlled burns work well in some forest management situations, but how
would you propose to conduct them in the heavily-populated area under
discussion?

Anne Lurie

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 30-10-2003, 07:32 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:44:45 -0600, "J.D. Stone" wrote:

Where have you been? You obviously haven't been following any threads in
this group about Just me "Koi". Guess where he lives, troll?

Where do these people come from? Troll is right, if not, Jed you'd better
in uneducated. One thing JMK doesn't need is cyber flames from the
ignorant. Sheesh, ~ jan

"Jed" wrote in message
Jed wrote:

[...]

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 02-11-2003, 01:33 AM
tim chandler

"Jed" is just a troll, his supposed email name is

People like him should be ignored, and deserve to be ignored.

The forest fires are a great tragedy, both for the people and the wildlife.
It'll take years before they are back to even near-normal, and the charred
trunks will be around for many decades. But it can be turned to good in the
end - perhaps, just perhaps, California and other Western states will
develop better fire management and forest management policies in the wake of
this tragedy, so they don't allow combustibles to build up so much that when
a fire inevitably happens, it is a catastrophe. For too long the
environmental extremists have had too much influence in forest management
policy - these fires are a direct result of their "hands-off" mantra,
whereby they see almost any human activity in the forests as undesireable.
Humans need to be good stewards of the wild, and that means we have to
actively manage the areas where forests and human habitation coincide.

Tim

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
[...]

. com...