Old 28-10-2003, 01:42 AM
Charles

Default Pond Skimmer Question

Does anyone know of plans or ideas for a portable, temporary pond
skimmer? A water garden establishment near me needs something to
clear the surface of their ponds, I told them I would look into
getting something.

the problem right now is DOC and ash from the
So Cal fires, but if it could handle floating algae during algae
season that would be so much the better.

Thanks

--

- Charles
-
Old 28-10-2003, 04:22 PM
ponder

There are DIY skimmers online but you need to install onto pond, meaning you
have to dig and cut the liner.

Old 28-10-2003, 06:22 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Charles wrote in message
Does anyone know of plans or ideas for a portable, temporary pond
skimmer? A water garden establishment near me needs something to
clear the surface of their ponds, I told them I would look into
getting something.

I have seen two types. One is similar to the no-nitch skimmer and the pump
sucks directly from the top into the skimmer. Another uses a spray bar to
push the debris into a fine netted bag. Both run using small in-pond pumps.
Unfortunately I don't remember which websites I saw them at. But here are
some you can search:

www.aqua-mart.com
www.ponds2go.com
www.aquaticeco.com

http://www.fancykoioutlet.com/supply/skimmers.htm shows the no-nitch
skimmer, but not the one that is a unit that hooks directly to an in-pond
pump/filter for temporary use. HTHs, ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 28-10-2003, 06:42 PM
Michael Shaffer

It wouldn't be to hard to design one with parts from Home Depot etc. All
you need is a floating "box" and a screen with the pump on the other
side. I bought the Oase Biosys and it was always getting clogged. If I
had to do it again I would build my own.

Old 29-10-2003, 05:12 AM
Axolotl

Suggested design for temporary skimmer.
get a box, something like a recycling "blue" box (they are about 15"H * 20"L
* 18"W)
arrange for the box to be positioned such that one end is a little below the
surface while the opposite one is just above the surface.
install a submersible pump in the box with its discharge as far away from
the box as possible, you want to get a surface current going across the
pond.
cover the top of the box with net used for window fly screen.
you will have to keep a close eye on it and clean the screen frequently.
I used a similar setup to clear my pond when they were doing a bunch of work
the kicked up old straw/grass etc.

Hope it works for you
ANO