Old 22-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Barb Ebel

Default Shut off water fall

I live in Northwest Iowa and this is the first winter I have a pond with
a waterfall. Could you tell me what you do with the waterfall.Do you
just shut the waterfall off and let it drain back to the skimmer? Or do
you keep the waterfall running all winter? I want to make sure I do the
right thing because I dont want to break any water lines going up to the
waterfall or the skimmer or pump.........Thank You.......Daryl in Iowa.

Old 22-11-2003, 11:44 PM
Gary

Barb Ebel wrote in message ...
I live in Northwest Iowa and this is the first winter I have a pond with
a waterfall. Could you tell me what you do with the waterfall.Do you
just shut the waterfall off and let it drain back to the skimmer? Or do
you keep the waterfall running all winter? I want to make sure I do the
right thing because I dont want to break any water lines going up to the
waterfall or the skimmer or pump.........Thank You.......Daryl in Iowa.

I shut my waterfall off in the winter (Colorado, Zone 6) because if
you let it run, the ice that forms around it might divert the water
and drain your pond. And you might not be aware of it for a while if
there is ice on the pond. My waterfall supply line comes off the
pump, which sits on the bottom of the pond and pulls water through my
filter, so I just disconnect the supply line to the waterfall and blow
it out. I keep the pump and filter running through the winter, in
order to keep the water clean and provide some surface motion to keep
a hole open in the ice.
Hope this helps,
Gary