Old 11-11-2006, 04:31 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
zm zm is offline

Default LT 125 - like to bypass the seat auto shut off

Hello,

I have a new JD LT 125 riding lawn mower. I am doing quite a bit of
dirt moving with my wagon around the yard and would like to let the
machine idle while I shovel dirt on/off. It has the shut off hooked to
the seat (whenever you get off the machine, it dies). Is there a way I
could bypass that shut offf so it would idle?

thanks for any help.

Old 11-11-2006, 06:42 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

zm wrote:
Hello,

I have a new JD LT 125 riding lawn mower. I am doing quite a bit of
dirt moving with my wagon around the yard and would like to let the
machine idle while I shovel dirt on/off. It has the shut off hooked to
the seat (whenever you get off the machine, it dies). Is there a way I
could bypass that shut offf so it would idle?

thanks for any help.

Hi..

If you're sure that there are no youngsters around, you
might try one of those short bungee cords that come with a
hook on each end to tie the seat down with.

Take care.

Ken

Old 11-11-2006, 07:28 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"zm" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I have a new JD LT 125 riding lawn mower. I am doing quite a bit of
dirt moving with my wagon around the yard and would like to let the
machine idle while I shovel dirt on/off. It has the shut off hooked to
the seat (whenever you get off the machine, it dies). Is there a way I
could bypass that shut offf so it would idle?

thanks for any help.

Absolutely. If **safety** is not a concern you can disconnect the wires
from the switch or bypass it. Some manufacturers do it one way and some do
it the other way. I don't think you can hurt anything trying it the wrong
way first. I've taken off all the safety switches on my Wheelhorse 520H ,
and an old Agway 12HP and others - but be aware some dealers won't work on
your machine with bypassed safety switches.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:01 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message
zm wrote:
Hello,

I have a new JD LT 125 riding lawn mower. I am doing quite a bit of
dirt moving with my wagon around the yard and would like to let the
machine idle while I shovel dirt on/off. It has the shut off hooked to
the seat (whenever you get off the machine, it dies). Is there a way I
could bypass that shut offf so it would idle?

thanks for any help.

Hi..

If you're sure that there are no youngsters around, you
might try one of those short bungee cords that come with a
hook on each end to tie the seat down with.

Take care.

Ken

On my riding mower, it takes a certain amount of weight to compress a switch
inside the seat...

A 25 lb bag of shot might do the trick.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
zm zm is offline

Thanks everyone,

I should say "duh" to myself. A strong bungy should work or ratchet
tie down. I was trying to "oversolve the problem" I am the only one
doing this no kids around. I don't mind the safety feature, but its
sure a pain for the work I am doing. A bungy sounds like the ticket.

thanks and have a good one.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

zm wrote:
Hello,

I have a new JD LT 125 riding lawn mower. I am doing quite a bit of
dirt moving with my wagon around the yard and would like to let the
machine idle while I shovel dirt on/off. It has the shut off hooked to
the seat (whenever you get off the machine, it dies). Is there a way I
could bypass that shut offf so it would idle?

thanks for any help.

My 10 year old Murray tractor came with a pigtail, a short piece (3") of
electrical wire with spade plugs on each end.
Just take the seat wire connection apart and place the pigtail in the
plug going to the tractor, making a complete circuit.
I never used it and don't know why they included it.

--
Bill
in Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 13-11-2006, 02:16 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"zm" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I have a new JD LT 125 riding lawn mower. I am doing quite a bit of
dirt moving with my wagon around the yard and would like to let the
machine idle while I shovel dirt on/off. It has the shut off hooked to
the seat (whenever you get off the machine, it dies). Is there a way I
could bypass that shut offf so it would idle?

thanks for any help.

Here is what I did. My JD GT262 has the switch inside of the seat (a
replacement seat), and a plug that plugs into the seat bottom. The plug
anchor clippy thing broke, so the switch always thought that no one was on
the seat, as the circuit always was then open. It was buy _another_ seat or
never put it into gear or figure out something else.

So the something else that I did was take a couple of inches of bare wire
and wrap it around the plug tines, completing the circuit and fooling the
machine into thinking that there is always someone on the seat. I then
wrapped it all up in tape and left it under the seat, disconnected from the
seat, but bridged.
Hope this helps,
Tomes

Old 13-11-2006, 02:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

zm wrote:
Hello,

I have a new JD LT 125 riding lawn mower. I am doing quite a bit of
dirt moving with my wagon around the yard and would like to let the
machine idle while I shovel dirt on/off. It has the shut off hooked to
the seat (whenever you get off the machine, it dies). Is there a way I
could bypass that shut offf so it would idle?

thanks for any help.

Andy writes:

I have a Craftsman lawn tractor, from Sears, and I simply
raised the seat ( it tips up) and saw the seat switch . It has
a little plunger thingy that depresses when you sit down.
I detached the switch assembly from the holding bracket,
and wound several turns of black plastic electrical tape
around it , depressing the plunger thingy and keeping
it in the "seat depressed" position. Then I just set it
in a cranny under the seat where it wouldn't get cracked
or messed with and put the seat back.....

If I want to restore it, all I have to do is tip the seat,
pull off the plastic tape, and snap the switch back into
position...

I agree that the seat is a pain in the ass, especially if
I am mowing and see a brick or log in the way......

There is a similar lockout for going into reverse -- the
engine will die if the blade is engaged while in reverse.
Fortunately the Craftsman mower has an additional
key switch position to override this. At least somebody
in the lawn tractor factory has had to actually use the
product at some time (grin)...

Good luck,

Andy in Eureka, Texas

( If all of your neighbors have been invited to the
Jerry Springer Xmas reunion show, you might
live in Eureka, Texas )

Old 14-11-2006, 01:15 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just use a small piece of cardboard folded over to keep the switch
from making elec contact on closing (weight off seat). 1/2 sec to
remove

I think you guys are talking about 2 different types of switches.

Old 14-11-2006, 01:36 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just use a small piece of cardboard folded over to keep the switch
from making elec contact on closing (weight off seat). 1/2 sec to
remove

I think you guys are talking about 2 different types of switches.

Yup, and depending on the model, there could be 2 different types of
switches. One switch connects the other breaks. It's not rocket science.

Old 14-11-2006, 01:38 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Your mother should take a switch to you if you by-pass this safety
feature. It could prevent you from chopping up your feet.

STOVEBOLT approved this message.

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 01:15:11 GMT, "Srgnt Billko"
wrote:

roups.com...

Old 15-11-2006, 12:38 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:
Your mother should take a switch to you if you by-pass this safety
feature. It could prevent you from chopping up your feet.

He's a big boy and feet are over-rated.
f/u set.

Low Water Shut Off phillerup Ponds (moderated) 1 20-04-2008 06:27 PM
Topping off water or auto fill valve? RedForeman ©® Ponds 9 21-09-2004 11:30 AM
Auto pump shut-off for leaking pond? Rob Ponds 7 15-09-2004 06:33 AM
Shut off water fall Barb Ebel Ponds 1 22-11-2003 11:44 PM
Problem with Python fill shut-off Bob Alston Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 06:13 AM