Old 20-09-2004, 12:54 PM
WilsonKKW

Default When is the best time to shut down pond?

When is the best time to shut down pond?
And how?
I have 5000gallons with waterfall, 9 Koi, water lettuce,water hyacinth,lily
pads,parrots feather,water lily,
Thanks
Kathy...in Maryland
Old 20-09-2004, 02:40 PM

I been doing a slow down of the water into my veggie filter when the temp starts to
mostly drop below 45 at night. actually, once the water temp gets below 55oF for
more than a day or two it is time to stop the waterfall and start preparing the pond
for winter, including putting up a cover and dropping in a heater. snag the hyacinth
and lettuce out when they start to look pathetic. start a bucket filter going now so
it will be able to take over bioload if your waterfall is part of the biofilter.
Ingrid

(WilsonKKW) wrote:

When is the best time to shut down pond?
And how?
I have 5000gallons with waterfall, 9 Koi, water lettuce,water hyacinth,lily
pads,parrots feather,water lily,
Thanks
Kathy...in Maryland

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 20-09-2004, 04:05 PM
Jerry Donovan

Here is what I do for our little pond (near our patio and much much
smaller than yours). Adjust as you see fit for your much larger
pond.

For the first few times it gets near freezing (below 35F), I cover
the pond with a tarp at night. Around here (northern Colorado)
there are usually at least a few weeks of good weather after the
first good freeze or two.

When some of the WH start to look a little bit wilted, I grab a few
stronger looking ones and put them inside our glassed in patio.
They get to sit inside some large plastic containers next to south
facing windows for the winter. They also get fertilizer and soapy
spray on a regular basis. A tropical water lily is brought in at the
same time.

So far, I have been very fortunate with the inside plants during
the winter. The water hyacinth, tropical lilies, and parrot's
feather have all done well inside. About every other month during
the winter, I have removed about a third of my WH and put them
in the compost pile.Last year my water lettuce all died, but they
have survived in the past.

I have moved some parrot's feather inside as well. That stuff
grows like weeds in the warm sunny windows. Last year I also
left some outside below the surface, and I think it survived as
well, but I can't remember for sure. Either way, I ended up
pitching a lot of it out in the spring since the inside stuff did
so well.

At that time, I trim back the rest of the water lilies and other
plants, making sure that they are all fully submerged. This is
often the time that I get to see some of the new small goldfish
that might have survived so far, since they have hidden in the
plants all summer.

When the temperatures will be well below freezing or below
freezing for a few days in a row, I turn off the pump to the water
fall, and drain the upper pond. I leave the pump in the water
so that it doesn't dry out. I also check the little nightlight bulb
for the air pump is working so that the air will be somewhat
dry to the bubbler. (keeps moisture from freezing in the airline).
The bubbler keeps at least some air escaping either through
a hole it keeps in the ice, or around the edge somewhere. It
makes some cool looking volcano type shapes when it is
very cold.

Jerry

(WilsonKKW) wrote:

When is the best time to shut down pond?
And how?
I have 5000gallons with waterfall, 9 Koi, water lettuce,water

hyacinth,lily
pads,parrots feather,water lily,
Thanks
Kathy...in Maryland

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 20-09-2004, 05:25 PM
kc

Hi, I have a pond that I inherited when I bought the house last summer. It
seemed to overwinter just fine last year (I left the pump/waterfall on) and
only froze over once. Since it doesn't freeze here very often, I think
I'll probably just put netting over to catch the leaves....my only concern
is I do have a few months-old babies, but hopefully they'll do fine as well?
Kirsten

Old 21-09-2004, 12:46 AM
~ Windsong ~

"WilsonKKW" wrote in message
When is the best time to shut down pond?
And how?
I have 5000gallons with waterfall, 9 Koi, water lettuce,water

hyacinth,lily
pads,parrots feather,water lily,
Thanks
Kathy...in Maryland

=======================
I remove all the tropicals such as water lettuce after the first frost in
the fall. That comes about the middle of October where I live. They go
into the compost pile. As the water temp reaches 50 to 55 I shut off the
extra water pumps that help aerate the water, and the filters themselves
when then the water reaches around 50 or I see the fish are less active and
hanging around the bottom more. Hardy plants like parrot's feather, Lotus
and cat tails can remain in the pond over the winter. I leave them right on
the shelves where they sit.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"They laugh because I'm different, I laugh because they're all the same."

Old 21-09-2004, 12:51 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Jerry Donovan" wrote in message
So far, I have been very fortunate with the inside plants during
the winter. The water hyacinth, tropical lilies, and parrot's
feather have all done well inside. About every other month during
the winter, I have removed about a third of my WH and put them
in the compost pile.Last year my water lettuce all died, but they
have survived in the past.

$$ I discovered that these plants don't do well in stagnant or still water.
A small bubbler in the tank or tub with them helps keep them alive over the
winter. They wont rot.

I have moved some parrot's feather inside as well. That stuff
grows like weeds in the warm sunny windows. Last year I also
left some outside below the surface, and I think it survived as
well, but I can't remember for sure. Either way, I ended up
pitching a lot of it out in the spring since the inside stuff did
so well.

$$ My parrots feather lives over the winter here in zone 6 (TN).

At that time, I trim back the rest of the water lilies and other
plants, making sure that they are all fully submerged.

$$ I haven't found submerging them to help any. The hardy ones will live
over in either case.

Old 21-09-2004, 12:53 AM
~ Windsong ~

"kc" wrote in message
Hi, I have a pond that I inherited when I bought the house last summer.

It
seemed to overwinter just fine last year (I left the pump/waterfall on)

and
only froze over once. Since it doesn't freeze here very often, I think
I'll probably just put netting over to catch the leaves....my only concern
is I do have a few months-old babies, but hopefully they'll do fine as

well?
===================
My tiny fish (goldfish and koi) live over without a problem. :-) Feed them
well now so they have a reserve of fat to help them winter over.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"If two men agree on everything, you can

Old 21-09-2004, 02:31 AM
Mike Patterson

Why get a drill & bit, lean over the pond and drill?

Couldn't you just break up the ice with a big stick?

I didn't get my pond reall operating until February, so I'm interested
in seeing what happens during the winter.

The 1" pipe from the pump to the water fall runs about 6" underground
most of the way, I'm wondering if that will affect the tendency of the
pipe to freeze up.

Mike

"kc" wrote:

Hi, I have a pond that I inherited when I bought the house last summer. It
seemed to overwinter just fine last year (I left the pump/waterfall on) and
only froze over once. Since it doesn't freeze here very often, I think
I'll probably just put netting over to catch the leaves....my only concern
is I do have a few months-old babies, but hopefully they'll do fine as well?
Kirsten

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
Old 21-09-2004, 02:31 AM
Mike Patterson

"kc" wrote:

Hi, I have a pond that I inherited when I bought the house last summer. It
seemed to overwinter just fine last year (I left the pump/waterfall on) and
only froze over once. Since it doesn't freeze here very often, I think
I'll probably just put netting over to catch the leaves....my only concern
is I do have a few months-old babies, but hopefully they'll do fine as well?
Kirsten

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

LT 125 - like to bypass the seat auto shut off zm Lawns 15 16-11-2006 12:22 AM
Sprinkler shut down and new sod lawn Frank Rosenbaum Lawns 8 15-10-2005 02:24 PM
Auto pump shut-off for leaking pond? Rob Ponds 7 15-09-2004 06:33 AM
Shut off water fall Barb Ebel Ponds 1 22-11-2003 11:44 PM
Problem with Python fill shut-off Bob Alston Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 06:13 AM