Old 25-11-2003, 09:03 PM
Robyn Rhudy

Default My web site costs me too much money!

I paid a few hundred to get fishpondinfo.com up and on the net. Now, they
got me since I went over bandwidth quota!
They got me triply. Got bill today for Oct - $85+. Since I didn't know
in time, will get one next month for this month. Plus, I asked for an
upgrade to prevent this - $79.68 per YEAR (not month). So, they cost
me $251.16 today just because I don't know how to monitor
bandwidth. They told me, just delete my files! Perhaps I should delete
it all! No one wants to pay to advertize on my site. I make less than
$100 a day at my torture job. So, how do I pay for this all?! I spend
$15,000 a year on my animals, fish, and ponds. I get nothing but pain in
return for all my work. Plus, I complain too much. Perhaps because I'm
always exhausted, sick, in pain, and working non-stop. They won't let me
have Friday off (haven't had a vacation all year).

So, what to do?
1. Delete my site.
2. Move my site to another provider.
3. Snooker some loser into paying me money to advertize. (I have one
paying advertizer that covered the initial setup only).
4. Pray some more to die.
5. Stop complaining and pay the fees because I'm such a loser.

$251.16 in one day for a web site that I should be paid for! I guess
that's better than the $900 in one day for an emergency trip to the vet!
So, I should be grateful and thankful my life is just so perfect!
My ponds are turning into cesspools since I don't have time. Haven't read
a pond book or magazine or any topic in over a year (pile of 95 mags, 180
books!). I love to read but never again. Ok, now that you all hate me, I
have the solution! Stop visiting my crappy site! Thus, my bandwidth
won't go over again!

Important Notice! Robyn's web site has moved from
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/ to http://www.fishpondinfo.com. This
e-mail as well as the old site (which refers to the new site) will be
deleted on 9/24/04 by UMBC (I have no say in it). After that date,
please use the e-mail of instead of this e-mail.
Please spread the word that my site has moved. Thanks.

Chemist, preservationist, animal lover, aquarist, and ponder. -
Extensive web pages on animals, fish, and ponds. -
http://www.fishpondinfo.com
Free pond newsletter - sign up at my web site -
Finally! Buy Robyn's Pond Book at www.1stbooks.com -

Old 25-11-2003, 11:42 PM
KenCo

Robyn Rhudy wrote:

I paid a few hundred to get fishpondinfo.com up and on the net. Now, they
got me since I went over bandwidth quota!

delete the excess mail files, they add up.

also, the dead email files, mine was over 13,000 msgs and
I didnt even know all "user unknown" mail sent to the main
addresss went to a dead mailbox

try http://www.pair.com , 20 gigs transfer, $14.00 per month.

[...]

http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121
Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced
Old 26-11-2003, 01:42 AM
John Hines

Robyn Rhudy wrote:

So, what to do?
1. Delete my site.

Or reduce its bandwidth requirements. Smaller, lower res pictures,
compress (ie zip) up things, turn off sounds, etc. More text, less fancy
features.

2. Move my site to another provider.

Sounds like a good option, that is a lot of money for a non-porn/warez
site.

3. Snooker some loser into paying me money to advertize. (I have one
paying advertizer that covered the initial setup only).

Probably not a option long term.

4. Pray some more to die.

Get an answer to your previous prayers yet?

5. Stop complaining and pay the fees because I'm such a loser.

Look at option #2. I've had good luck with www.your-site.com and their
$5/mo plan (6Gb transfer).

$251.16 in one day for a web site that I should be paid for! I guess
that's better than the $900 in one day for an emergency trip to the vet!
So, I should be grateful and thankful my life is just so perfect!

Perhaps, you should spend more time researching your options before you
plunk down cash.

My ponds are turning into cesspools since I don't have time.

More time on ponds, fewer on websites?
Old 26-11-2003, 05:22 AM
Ka30P

Robyn wrote I love to read but never again.

ak!
Never!
I'd fill in the pond before I'd give
up my books!

Do what fulfills your soul. Forget the rest!

ka30p
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 26-11-2003, 01:02 PM
Happy'Cam'per

Midposted

I get nothing but pain in
return for all my work. Plus, I complain too much. Perhaps because I'm
always exhausted, sick, in pain, and working non-stop. They won't let me
have Friday off (haven't had a vacation all year).

Well Robyn, don't you just sound like the spoiled brat!!! Let me tell you a
little secret: If you behave like a victim people will treat you like a
victim....every time, if you want to be everyones scape goat thats your
mission! Take some responsibility for yourself and things will straighten
out themselves....promise.

So, what to do?
4. Pray some more to die.
5. Stop complaining and pay the fees because I'm such a loser.

Again, you leave yourself wide open to criticism, take some responsibility,
you, and only you got you where you are at now. If you can't afford it then
leave it. Go back to it when you sort out your other "issues". By the sounds
of it you don't even want to be alive. All it takes is a change of mind.
Stop thinking life is so bad. Really, try it, sounds flakey I know.

Haven't read
a pond book or magazine or any topic in over a year (pile of 95 mags, 180
books!). I love to read but never again. Ok, now that you all hate me, I
have the solution! Stop visiting my crappy site! Thus, my bandwidth
won't go over again!

Well maybe thats your problem right there, you NEED to do things that make
you feel good, stop trying to please other people (your job) and look after
yourself. Be more aggressive Goddamnit, demand that bloody Friday off, you
deserve it if they have'nt given you a holiday all year. Besides its against
the law to withhold holidays and days off from employees. Take
responsibility for yourself, talk to someone, anyone, that always helps, ITS
NEVER AS BAD AS YOU THINK!
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Old 26-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Bill Spohn

I paid a few hundred to get fishpondinfo.com up and on the net. Now, they
got me since I went over bandwidth quota!

I use http://www.citymax.com/ and get 500 pages/photos/products for $19.95 a
month, as well as being able to set it up myself.

Have a look at my page at www.rhodo.citymax.com

I have always found them to be very helpful with any problems, as well. If you
screw anything up, they usually go in and fix it for free, or tell you how to
do it.

Old 26-11-2003, 11:10 PM
Dave Bell

On 26 Nov 2003, Bill Spohn wrote:

I paid a few hundred to get fishpondinfo.com up and on the net. Now, they
got me since I went over bandwidth quota!

I use http://www.citymax.com/ and get 500 pages/photos/products for $19.95 a
month, as well as being able to set it up myself.

Not bad marketing plan for a web host, Bill. I absolutely could NOT find
any "normal" limits, like megabytes of storage or transfers, but maybe
they don't even have such, just limiting you to "items".

I wrote to Robyn, but thought I'd toss it out here as weel, since so many
people have chimed in...

I have used PowWeb.com for a small business (contracting, no e-commerce in
my case) and for hosting several other pages and collections. Been with
them for almost two years, and had absolutely zero known downtime, and no
other problems. They basically have one package at one price. I pay $7.77
per month (on an annual basis = $93.24), and get 1000 MB of storage, 65 GB
a month of bandwidth, and 650 POP3/SMTP email addresses. Very hard to beat
for service! Robyn seems to be paying about $20 per month for 300 MB and
10 GB of bandwidth. Formerly, she was paying a bit less, but they were
killing her for over-bandwidth charges.

Look into them, next time anyone wants to put up a web page!

Dave

Have a look at my page at www.rhodo.citymax.com

I have always found them to be very helpful with any problems, as
well. If you screw anything up, they usually go in and fix it for
free, or tell you how to do it.

For US $7.95 per month (payable quarterly), www.hostsave.com has:

NEW -- 300 MB Disk Space
NEW -- 15 GB/month Data Transfer
NEW -- 30 Email Accounts
Unlimited Email Forwarding
Email Autoresponder
Catch-all Email Address
Free Graphical Website Statistics
Log File Access
FrontPage 2002/2000/98 Support
Shared SSL
PERL 5, PHP 4
Personal CGI Directory
Form to Email CGI
Visitor Counter CGI
Password Protect Directories
Custom Error Page Support
FREE Domain Transfers
www.yourownname.com
..com, .net, .org, .info, .biz, .us Domains
International Domain Support
Unlimited 24/7 FTP
Java Applets, Flash, Shockwave Supported
HTTP Streaming Audio/Video
Web Based Control Panel
Free 24/7 Technical Support
Phone Support
99.99% + Server Uptime

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.
Old 27-11-2003, 04:04 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

And try to find a place for, "PORG," in your ponding glossary.
(nice site, BTW!)

Cybe R. Wizard

And if RR decides to do that:

The Borg said:
"We are _Borg_ resistant is futile, you will be assimilated."
The Porg say:
"We are Porg, resistant IS futile, you will be pond-elated."

P - Pond, O - Oriented, R - Recreational, G - Group ~ jan ;o)
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 27-11-2003, 05:22 AM
Gail Futoran

[...]

You got some really good recommendations here and I hope you
can implement some. Some of my favorite fan sites have had
to take drastic measures to stay afloat and even less fancy
they are still well worth visiting. I hope you are able to
work something similar for your site. You've put too much
work into it and it's too valuable a resource to disappear.

So I vote for 2. and 6., with 6. being reduce your site in
some manageable way that will let it continue to exist.

Gail

Old 27-11-2003, 04:22 PM
Sam Iam

John Hines wrote:

Robyn Rhudy wrote:
4. Pray some more to die.

Get an answer to your previous prayers yet?

Probably OT and another can of worms

When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I
was talking to myself.
-Peter O?Toole

--
Sam I am
Spam alert! Reply-to address is bogus
Old 28-11-2003, 08:42 PM
BenignVanilla

[...]

snip

Robyn...email me off-line, and we'll figure something out. I lease a server,
and could probably work out a very reasonable rate for you to sub-let some
space. The PORG special.

--
BV.
WebPorgmaster