Old 14-12-2003, 08:08 PM
SueAndHerZoo

Default Video Monitoring of Pond?

My husband asked what I wanted for Christmas this year, and I gave him one
heck of a challenge.... I told him I'd like to be able to watch my pond from
inside the house when I can't be out there! Anyone with equipment
recommendations, helpful hints, past experience, etc. - I'd really
appreciate hearing from you. Of course he's now getting carried away with
this challenge and thinking it would be great if we could "view" the pond
from any website anywhere, and also "pan" the yard so that I can see BOTH
ponds, one at a time. I'd settle for something simpler.... just being able
to watch the activity in my turtle pond when I'm in the house would be
great. Any suggestions, please? Thanks in advance.
Sue

Old 14-12-2003, 09:02 PM
KenCo

SueAndHerZoo wrote:
My husband asked what I wanted for Christmas this year, and I gave him one
heck of a challenge.... I told him I'd like to be able to watch my pond from
inside the house when I can't be out there! Anyone with equipment
recommendations, helpful hints, past experience, etc. - I'd really
appreciate hearing from you. Of course he's now getting carried away with
this challenge and thinking it would be great if we could "view" the pond
from any website anywhere, and also "pan" the yard so that I can see BOTH
ponds, one at a time. I'd settle for something simpler.... just being able
to watch the activity in my turtle pond when I'm in the house would be
great. Any suggestions, please? Thanks in advance.
Sue

a simple remote color security camera to hook into a VCR
is around $100.00. there around the size of a pack of cigs.

http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121
Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced

Old 15-12-2003, 11:42 PM
volts500

"SueAndHerZoo" wrote in message
My husband asked what I wanted for Christmas this year, and I gave him one
heck of a challenge.... I told him I'd like to be able to watch my pond

from
inside the house when I can't be out there! Anyone with equipment
recommendations, helpful hints, past experience, etc. - I'd really
appreciate hearing from you. Of course he's now getting carried away

with
this challenge and thinking it would be great if we could "view" the pond
from any website anywhere, and also "pan" the yard so that I can see BOTH
ponds, one at a time.

Then _don't_ show your hubby this website!
http://www.x10.com/products/cameras.htm

Old 16-12-2003, 01:05 AM
John Hines

"SueAndHerZoo" wrote:

appreciate hearing from you. Of course he's now getting carried away with
this challenge and thinking it would be great if we could "view" the pond
from any website anywhere, and also "pan" the yard so that I can see BOTH
ponds, one at a time. I'd settle for something simpler.... just being able
to watch the activity in my turtle pond when I'm in the house would be
great. Any suggestions, please?

Get an outdoor color camera, there are some in the $100-200 range, and a
RF modulator from Radio Shack (get the expensive one, that allows a wide
variety of channels). Run the output of this into you antenna/cable with
a splitter, using an un-used channel.

Now your pond will be just another channel on your TV, you can have
multiple channels (3 is common on the RF modulators), so each camera
would have its own channel.

IMHO, it is better than a blank screen.

Old 16-12-2003, 01:12 AM
RHooD

Thanks, Ken, Volts, and John:

Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I'm using a new mail reader AND a
new newsgroup program, so it took me a couple of tries to actually SEE
your responses to my post. I'm on my way to check out that website,
but something tells me I really shouldn't. The other ideas sound
great, except..... what about the camera being outdoors in the
elements? How do we protect it from rain?
Sue

Old 16-12-2003, 03:14 AM
KenCo

RHooD wrote:

Thanks, Ken, Volts, and John:

Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I'm using a new mail reader AND a
new newsgroup program, so it took me a couple of tries to actually SEE
your responses to my post. I'm on my way to check out that website,
but something tells me I really shouldn't. The other ideas sound
great, except..... what about the camera being outdoors in the
elements? How do we protect it from rain?
Sue

mine is made for outdoor use, even has sound!
it will say it on the pkg.

Old 16-12-2003, 12:43 PM
Rasputin

"SueAndHerZoo" wrote in message
My husband asked what I wanted for Christmas this year, and I gave him one
heck of a challenge.... I told him I'd like to be able to watch my pond

from
inside the house when I can't be out there! Anyone with equipment
recommendations, helpful hints, past experience, etc. - I'd really
appreciate hearing from you. Of course he's now getting carried away

with
this challenge and thinking it would be great if we could "view" the pond
from any website anywhere, and also "pan" the yard so that I can see BOTH
ponds, one at a time. I'd settle for something simpler.... just being

able
to watch the activity in my turtle pond when I'm in the house would be
great. Any suggestions, please? Thanks in advance.
Sue

I realize you probably got a bunch of camera recommendations from people but
I figured I'd give you one more. I've used this company for about 5
years(retail security) and haven't had a problem with them or their products
yet. Word of warning if your husband is getting carried away don't let him
go to the site. www.supercircuits.com
Keep us informed on what you do and how it turns out.

Old 16-12-2003, 08:04 PM
SueAndHerZoo

Thanks for re ideas, guys. I have been forwarding them all to my husband,
who is, by the way, getting very carried away. He's decided it definitely
wants it to be set up so that we can view it from a website, at any
location. And subsequently, I've decided that I may as well just let him
go ahead and go crazy. What a sport, huh? That's a great
website, Rasputin, and it's always good to hear from an objective buyer that
he has been satisifed with them. There's just too many out there to know
who's reputable and who's not. I'll keep you posted!
Sue

Old 17-12-2003, 12:43 AM
John Hines

"SueAndHerZoo" wrote:

Thanks for re ideas, guys. I have been forwarding them all to my husband,
who is, by the way, getting very carried away. He's decided it definitely
wants it to be set up so that we can view it from a website, at any
location. And subsequently, I've decided that I may as well just let him
go ahead and go crazy. What a sport, huh? That's a great
website, Rasputin, and it's always good to hear from an objective buyer that
he has been satisifed with them. There's just too many out there to know
who's reputable and who's not. I'll keep you posted!

The Dazzle unit does a good job of video to computer conversion, and
capture studio from bitwelder productions, can do the capture to disk,
and time lapse photos and such.

Old 17-12-2003, 05:02 AM
RHooD

Keep those cards and letters coming! If he ever gets through the
techie problems he's having at the office, (he's director of IT at an
insurance company) he's going to go nuts checking out all these
websites and suggestions! Too bad the turtles aren't doing anything
watch-worthy during the winter...... they are (hopefully) a couple
feet under ground right now, but heck, watching the snow melt out
there would be a great way to start, and I'm sure there are lots of
birds and squirrels drinking from the pond this time of year - maybe
they can amuse me for a few months.
Sue

Old 22-12-2003, 03:12 PM
bk

We design homes for secrity minded people. We have security systems around
these houses
that allow areas to be viewed from any tv in the house or from the web.
Call an alarm company. We have consultants in Miami area.