Old 21-12-2003, 04:33 PM
John M. Darnielle

Default pond de-icer corrosion

I've noticed that the aluminum base to my 1250 watt "Ice Chaser" by Farm
Innovators (which is identical to the Beckett "pond De-icer") is corroding.
I do maintain .06 percent salt level, my compromise on the "How much salt"
debate. This probably causes the corrosion. My question is- is this bad for
the fish? Thanks in advance for your reply.

--
John M. Darnielle
Remove anti spam phrase from reply address to e-mail me.

Old 21-12-2003, 08:33 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 09:15:55 -0700, "John M. Darnielle"
wrote:

I've noticed that the aluminum base to my 1250 watt "Ice Chaser" by Farm
Innovators (which is identical to the Beckett "pond De-icer") is corroding.
I do maintain .06 percent salt level, my compromise on the "How much salt"
debate. This probably causes the corrosion. My question is- is this bad for
the fish? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Corroding or just water deposits? If you're talking the white water
deposits around the element these can be removed by soaking in vinegar. 4
hrs usually and the deposit will fall off. ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 22-12-2003, 12:04 AM
Barbara2245

"John M. Darnielle" wrote in message ...
I've noticed that the aluminum base to my 1250 watt "Ice Chaser" by Farm
Innovators (which is identical to the Beckett "pond De-icer") is corroding.
I do maintain .06 percent salt level, my compromise on the "How much salt"
debate. This probably causes the corrosion. My question is- is this bad for
the fish? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Are you talking about corrosion or mineral build up? My stock tank
deicer has a build up of minerals on the element. At the end of the
year I scrape it off with a knife and it is still working after a
year. Happy water gardening.
Old 22-12-2003, 02:33 AM
Nedra

I really don't think the corrosion will hurt the fish... but it will cause
the element to burn out quicker.

I read somewhere to use a solution of vinegar and water to wipe
the element before each season. I do this and the De-Icer has
lasted 4 years.

Nedra

Old 22-12-2003, 06:45 PM

I had one of those deicers coil eaten up by spring and there was no salt in the water
at all. and it had very high calcium (alkalinity) levels. Ingrid

"John M. Darnielle" wrote:

I've noticed that the aluminum base to my 1250 watt "Ice Chaser" by Farm
Innovators (which is identical to the Beckett "pond De-icer") is corroding.
I do maintain .06 percent salt level, my compromise on the "How much salt"
debate. This probably causes the corrosion. My question is- is this bad for
the fish? Thanks in advance for your reply.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 22-12-2003, 06:45 PM

put vinegar in a metal container enough to cover the element, drop in the heater and
turn it on let it heat up and the deposits will dissolve. keep a close eye on it. I
wouldnt scrape the deposits off, that could damage the element. the element on mine
was wire encased in some metal. the metal was eaten thru and the wire exposed. Not
good. Ingrid

"John M. Darnielle" wrote:

I think, after all, it may just be deposits. Thanks!

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

pond de-icer NauticalWheeler Ponds 10 26-05-2011 11:16 PM
pond heater vs. de-icer Dennis Ponds 7 17-09-2003 02:24 AM
FS: Floating Tank/Pond De-icer barbara archuleta Ponds 0 13-06-2003 03:22 AM
SINKING POND DE-ICER CHUCK MITCHELL Ponds (alternative) 1 15-04-2003 02:56 AM
pond de-icer D Kat Ponds 28 13-02-2003 04:55 AM