Old 08-01-2004, 06:10 AM
Zookeeper

Default Return to the Pond ...

Thanks Anne. We had ulterior motives in getting Santa to provide the
camera for son #1 -- I've wanted one for years, but even with the prices
coming down, it still seemed too extravagant. But Staples had a great
deal on an HP so son #1 has been snapping shots, and running down tons
of batteries since Christmas day. And all the snow we've had has
inspired lots of shots, and lots of videos of sledding and boarding
friends. (Son didn't read instruction book either)

Here's the first pic of all three canine critters:
http://tinyurl.com/2pcub

If I can convince son to leave camera home from school, I hope to get
some pond pics soon.
--
Kathy aka Zk

Anne Lurie wrote:
Kathy, as a digital-camera owning grandma, I suggest you set the camera to A
or Auto & snap a few pix here & there. I've had my Canon Powershot for
nearly 2 years, and I'm planning to read the instruction book any day
ow -- not!

Glad to see you back

Old 08-01-2004, 06:15 AM
Zookeeper

And so it continues, the pond work is never done, especially when we
have to remodel, or enlarge, or add streams, or ... Sorry you're still
dealing with the leak. Have you tried the milk trick yet? or does that
only work in still water? Well, someone will pipe up with an answer or
two I'm sure.
--
Zk

BenignVanilla wrote:

I have plenty to do. I never did install my diffuser last year, so I need to
do that this spring. I have a ton of leaves in there, so I'll have that to
contend with. My biggest problem is the leak in the stream. It forces me to
do water changes, but I don't like being forced to do anything.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 08-01-2004, 06:09 PM
BenignVanilla

"Zookeeper" wrote in message
Thanks Anne. We had ulterior motives in getting Santa to provide the
camera for son #1 -- I've wanted one for years, but even with the prices
coming down, it still seemed too extravagant. But Staples had a great
deal on an HP so son #1 has been snapping shots, and running down tons
of batteries since Christmas day. And all the snow we've had has
inspired lots of shots, and lots of videos of sledding and boarding
friends. (Son didn't read instruction book either)

Here's the first pic of all three canine critters:
http://tinyurl.com/2pcub

Zk, get your son some rechargeables. Monster makes a charger and set of
1800ma batteries that will last a lot longer then any alkalines you can put
in a cam.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 08-01-2004, 06:11 PM
BenignVanilla

"Zookeeper" wrote in message
And so it continues, the pond work is never done, especially when we
have to remodel, or enlarge, or add streams, or ... Sorry you're still
dealing with the leak. Have you tried the milk trick yet? or does that
only work in still water? Well, someone will pipe up with an answer or
two I'm sure.

snip

My problems grew on me...

....VF was too low so it didn't fill
....lowered plumbing, got water in VF, VF liner shows a lot
....built wall across VF, pump water up...now most of liner is hidden
....VF over flows
....wife says, 'just make a stream'
....make stream
....stream leaks about 3 inches of water a week
....patch where i think it leaks
....leak slows, but doesn't stop
....winter comes, pumps off, leak stops
....damn stream (in the biblical sense, not in the beaver sense)

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 08-01-2004, 07:24 PM
Zookeeper

As soon as the next pay check arrives ... we had asked Santa for the
charger/rechargeables, but ... Son's biggest waste of the battery power
is in reviewing pics, watching videos, and adding sounds / commentary. I
imagine it will ease off some now that school is back in session.
--
Zk

Old 08-01-2004, 07:30 PM
Zookeeper

BenignVanilla wrote:

My problems grew on me...

Don't they always ;-)

....VF was too low so it didn't fill
....lowered plumbing, got water in VF, VF liner shows a lot
....built wall across VF, pump water up...now most of liner is hidden
....VF over flows
....wife says, 'just make a stream'
....make stream
....stream leaks about 3 inches of water a week
....patch where i think it leaks
....leak slows, but doesn't stop
....winter comes, pumps off, leak stops
....damn stream (in the biblical sense, not in the beaver sense)

Yep, it's called the "fix one problem, create ten" syndrome, and it
especially applies to ponding.
--
Zk

Old 08-01-2004, 07:49 PM