Old 15-02-2004, 05:02 AM

Default killer bird

A large crane (about three foot long pointy beak )killed one of my gold
fish & was after the others when i chased him off! The ice had just
melted off the pond ! Never had seen any cranes around here
before ! Mt laurel nj. Poor goldy was five years old! R.I.P.
BILL

Old 15-02-2004, 12:15 PM
Gretchen

And I never seen the crane or heron that came to my pond and snacked on my
koi......then about a week ago my neighbor came into our back yard (and
didn't know we had a pond) and said I was wondering why the heron or crane
sat on top of your house waiting for ya'll to leave...he crane will be back
the like to visit the same pond every year to see whats new....we have a
bird net covering our pond until mid spring...the birds still come but the
plants grown and help the fish hide,...plus I dropped a 10 gallon bucket on
the bottom of the pond for them to hide in........

Old 15-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Jim Humphries

The only reliable way to deter Herons is to net the pond. They are great
fishers and have all the patience and time in the world.
--
Jim and Sara Humphries, Victoria, BC

Old 15-02-2004, 06:56 PM
Ka30P

Heron tips:
- netting over the pond
- chimney flue in the bottom of the pond
- put in an electric fido shock fence
- a motion activated sprinkler
- Migratory Bird Act forbids lethal methods,
heavy fines and jail time take away from pond time ;-)

good luck!
kathy :-)

Old 17-02-2004, 06:05 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Gretchen" wrote in message
,...plus I dropped a 10 gallon bucket on
the bottom of the pond for them to hide in........

The ONLY thing that worked for us was to net the ponds. We not only had
water birds taking our fish but large water snakes, huge bullfrogs and musk
turtles as well. The nets keep all of them out.
--
Carol....
My website: