Old 01-03-2004, 06:46 PM
Richard Holub

Default Bog garden

Sam Hopkins wrote:
If you build a small bog for your pond it's not going to stink.Walk by some
cattails and see if it stinks. It most likely won't. Yank out a few cattails
and you'll see that it'll start to stink though.

I built a large wetland/bog area (1.5 acres). It doesn't stink unless I'm
down in it pulling stuff up for research purposes.

Sam

Sam,

Do you have a high water table on your bog land or did you have to close
it in somehow to retain the water. I was thinking on excavating my bog
to 18"D and filling most of the area with 3/8" stone so that I would
have it easier to pull thin out the area of unwanted plants. Perhapps I
should go a little deeper.

Rich Holub

Old 02-03-2004, 02:32 AM
john

Richard Holub wrote:
I am planning on setting up a bog garden this summer and have a question
in ref. to liners. After doing some reading I noticed that some people
recommend digging the whole and lining it up with a cheap liner, then
making holes in the bottom for slow drainage. I plan on eventually
building a pond for fish alongside the bog garden. The bog garden I
plan to use as a filter. Size of bog ~10'W x 20'L x 18"D

Richard

dont poke holes I have an 25x30x12 bog in the summer i pump water
through it no piping like you described, just dump it in at the far end
then it flows back through the plants to the Koi pond.
during the winter all pumps are shut off and it just sits there and
freezes comes back every spring and does not putryfy

John Rutz

see my pond at http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 02-03-2004, 11:20 PM
Sam Hopkins

I have outflow from a pond I built directed towards the bog land. The water
hits the bog, spreads out and then refunnels at the other side and continues
on to the community creek.

"Richard Holub" wrote in message
hlink.net...

Old 03-03-2004, 01:05 AM
Richard Holub

John,

How about your plants? Do they freeze over? What zone are you at?
What type of plants do you have?

Rich Holub

Old 06-03-2004, 04:28 AM
john

Richard Holub wrote:
John,

How about your plants? Do they freeze over? What zone are you at? What
type of plants do you have?

Rich Holub

yes they freeze, i'm in usda zone 5
I have rush, water celery, cattails, Iris and louisiana iris, arowhead,
and a few i dont know what they are.
point is to get plants that are natural in your zone

Shaded Bog Garden Tim United Kingdom 9 20-04-2004 01:05 AM
Bog Garden: Episode II BenignVanilla Ponds 28 04-03-2004 10:37 AM
bog garden liner Richard Holub Ponds (alternative) 2 01-03-2004 01:32 AM
Bog garden Muriel Ponds 1 20-01-2004 06:02 AM
Problem Area - Bog Garden? Bot Grl Gardening 9 24-02-2003 02:51 AM