Old 19-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Tim

Default Shaded Bog Garden

Hi all
Looking for inspiration for a stretch of garden that is currently a disgrace
to the horticultural world. Soil is heavy red clay, shaded by neighbours
leylandii (to the south!). At present its home to a struggling Lilac tree, a
couple of Hosters and not much else. I'd guess it measures maybe 15 feet
long by 6 feet wide. I was wondering about creating some kind of wetland/bog
garden with polythene and top soil, and planting into that?
Anyone have any suggestions as to what might flourish in such a setting, any
pitfalls to beware of etc?
Many thanks
Tim

Old 19-04-2004, 07:06 PM
no spam here, thanks

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 17:53:59 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Second, things like Ligularias, some Iris, Rodgersia, Astilbes, the Hostas
you have could be tried but so much shade could be a problem. Pitfalls?
Slugs. ;-(

Solution? Frogs, Toads & hedgehogs?
Old 19-04-2004, 08:13 PM
JennyC

"Tim" notachanceunlessyouremovethis.twstannard@ntlworld .com wrote in message
Hi all
Looking for inspiration for a stretch of garden that is currently a disgrace
to the horticultural world. Soil is heavy red clay, shaded by neighbours
leylandii (to the south!). At present its home to a struggling Lilac tree, a
couple of Hosters and not much else. I'd guess it measures maybe 15 feet
long by 6 feet wide. I was wondering about creating some kind of wetland/bog
garden with polythene and top soil, and planting into that?
Anyone have any suggestions as to what might flourish in such a setting, any
pitfalls to beware of etc?
Many thanks
Tim

I've never had one myself but there is loads of info on the net:
http://www.ipcc.ie/boggarden.html
http://www.ee.enr.state.nc.us/garden/boGardenIndex.htm
http://www.nelsonwatergardens.com/bo...struction.html
http://www.gardeningdata.co.uk/water...og_gardens.htm

HTH Jenny

Old 19-04-2004, 10:12 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Sacha
writes
no spam here, thanks19/4/04 6:44

wrote:

Second, things like Ligularias, some Iris, Rodgersia, Astilbes, the Hostas
you have could be tried but so much shade could be a problem. Pitfalls?
Slugs. ;-(

Solution? Frogs, Toads & hedgehogs?

If they're happy with you, most certainly - go for it. If you live with
badgers nearby, avoid keeping hedgehogs.

If you live with badgers nearby, you won't have a lot of choice about
keeping hedgehogs, surely? ;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 19-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Tim

Actually, I dont *really* mind the leylandii, it makes a very effective
screen and stops me being able to see the neighbours! ) If I could just
get stuff to grow there, and stop the weeds taking over, I'll be well
chuffed, and the bog garden was an interesting idea...I will let you all
know how I get on, thanks very much for the help and ideas...
Now....where can i get me some frogs and toads..dont seem to have any at the
Garden center )
(apologies if Im flouting Usenet ettiquette, i might get the hang of it in a
bit.)
"Sacha" wrote in message
o.uk...
Tim19/4/04 5:48

pTgc.115$C24.5@newsf
e1-win

Hi all
Looking for inspiration for a stretch of garden that is currently a

disgrace
to the horticultural world. Soil is heavy red clay, shaded by neighbours
leylandii (to the south!). At present its home to a struggling Lilac

tree, a
couple of Hosters and not much else. I'd guess it measures maybe 15 feet
long by 6 feet wide. I was wondering about creating some kind of

wetland/bog
garden with polythene and top soil, and planting into that?
Anyone have any suggestions as to what might flourish in such a setting,

any
pitfalls to beware of etc?
Many thanks

First, have you asked your neighbours to reduce their hedge height? If

they
refused, have you talked to your local council? Things are changing with
regard to things like 'nuisance' hedging.
Second, things like Ligularias, some Iris, Rodgersia, Astilbes, the Hostas
you have could be tried but so much shade could be a problem. Pitfalls?
Slugs. ;-(

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 20-04-2004, 12:06 AM
Tim

Does anybody think i might be able to grow Bullrushes in such a feature? I
can get an almost endless supply of them! I think they would look very
effective in such a setting.

Old 20-04-2004, 01:05 AM
PK

Tim wrote:
Hi all
Looking for inspiration for a stretch of garden that is currently a
disgrace to the horticultural world. Soil is heavy red clay, shaded
by neighbours leylandii (to the south!). At present its home to a
struggling Lilac tree, a couple of Hosters and not much else. I'd
guess it measures maybe 15 feet long by 6 feet wide. I was wondering
about creating some kind of wetland/bog garden with polythene and top
soil, and planting into that?
Anyone have any suggestions as to what might flourish in such a
setting, any pitfalls to beware of etc?
Many thanks
Tim

I had a very similar area - 15 feet wide 45 feet long 45ft tall leylandii on
the southern boundary - when I first moved i begged plants from friends and
just piled all sorts of thing in there just to see waht might grow. Light
sany loam btw.

As luck would have it, it was the wettest summer for many a year. We din't
like it much but the astilbes were 1m*1m astonishingly vigourous plants. the
next year was a normal summer and they were frazzled apologies for plants.

I suppose the lesson from that is that if you can give the area eenough
constant water during the summer you stand a reasonable chance - but bear in
mind you would need 12/18" soil depth on top of the polythene (limited life)
or butyl (long life but expensive)

You would need a leaky pipe sort of watering system.

The problem of course is that you would be inciting the Lelandii roots to a
permenant water source.... do you really want to do that?

pk

Tree suggestion for shaded corner of garden sought Bowser United Kingdom 16 25-05-2005 10:17 PM
Need suggestion for fragant flower in shaded area JNJ Gardening 3 03-07-2003 11:20 AM
REQ info on mossy, shaded lawn klein Hansen Gardening 1 11-05-2003 06:56 AM
Grass for shaded area Crystal Texas 1 01-05-2003 04:32 AM
Recs for shrubs? shaded, clay soil... Jaffacake United Kingdom 2 28-11-2002 12:21 AM