Old 22-03-2004, 05:38 AM
Nedra

Default HomeMade Skimmer , water garden

Hi Sue,
Thank You for posting. My Savio was delivered just last
week but the guy who was to install it said he doesn't do that
sort of installation.

So, I'm sitting here with a Savio Skimmer in the garage... and
am wondering how in heck I'm to prevent the same things
happening to my frogs and fish.

Anyone have any ideas on how to prevent 'live' ones from
going into the Skimmer?

Nedra

"Sue Walsh" wrote in message
om...
Drew Cutter wrote in message

its looks like a need a way to prevent plants from falling into the
skimmer.

Also consider how you will keep fish and frogs from going into the
skimmer. I hate my skimmer (it's a Savio) for all the frogs I killed
last year and now that my fish are in "heat" the females keep swimming
into it to escape the males. 2-3 times a day I need to remove fish
from the skimmer, what a drag, I wish I had never put the darn thing
in.

Sue W
Brooksville, FL

Old 22-03-2004, 05:06 PM
joe

On 3/21/04 4:37 PM, "Sue Walsh" wrote:

Also consider how you will keep fish and frogs from going into the
skimmer. I hate my skimmer (it's a Savio) for all the frogs I killed
last year and now that my fish are in "heat" the females keep swimming
into it to escape the males. 2-3 times a day I need to remove fish
from the skimmer, what a drag, I wish I had never put the darn thing
in.

Wow, you must have retarded fish . I rarely have to get fish out of mine
(even my turtle has learned to stay out!). Does your skimmer have a net in
it?

Joe

Old 22-03-2004, 05:14 PM
joe

Nedra,

The fish figure it out. I haven't seen that issue with mine. Although Sue
says she has the problem. About the only fish I have to rescue are the
mosquito fish and snails.

Joe

Old 22-03-2004, 05:22 PM
Sue Walsh

"Nedra" wrote in message thlink.net...
Hi Sue,
Thank You for posting. My Savio was delivered just last
week but the guy who was to install it said he doesn't do that
sort of installation.

So, I'm sitting here with a Savio Skimmer in the garage... and
am wondering how in heck I'm to prevent the same things
happening to my frogs and fish.

Anyone have any ideas on how to prevent 'live' ones from
going into the Skimmer?

Nedra,
The frogs go into the skimmer basket and then into the opening where
the UV lights are supposed to go and get into the pump chamber. I
have had one frog drown in the basket, but all the others have been
sucked into the pump and been chewed up. No fun having to extract and
kill them if not dead when you find them. I have now purchased one
light unit so I will close up the other side with the plate that comes
with the skimmer.

My husband is creating a enclosing screen unit for the pump inlet
(which is where the frogs get chewed up). I will let you know how
well it works. Also we will be putting mesh over the opening of the
intake for the skimmer during the times when the fish are spawing.
Not sure how we will do that yet. In the fall when we need to have it
open for leaves the fish will not be a problem as they will not be
spawing then. In fall is when all the frogs seemed to want to get in
there, so we'll see what happens this year. Let me know if you have
any other ideas.

Extra note on installing the Savio. The screws that attatch the plate
around the opening in your liner will have to be very, very, very
tightly fastened. I had mine installed by the local pond guy and he
had to come back 3 times because it leaked around that opening. Each
time he tought he had it tight enough, time proved him wrong.

Sue W.

Old 22-03-2004, 06:50 PM
Nedra

Thanks Sue!
Good Luck with covering the openings ...
I'll be waiting to read your results.

Nedra

"Sue Walsh" wrote in message
m...

Old 24-03-2004, 01:04 PM
Sue Walsh

Joe,
Could you come over and train my fish?!?
My pond has very few places for them to hide right now. I don't have
any plants for them to hide in because I only grow lilies and all of
them are still dorment at this time. I actually had to take one fish
(a fancy fantail) out of the pond permanetly because it was always
caught in the basket and could not swim out. It becomes exausted
fighting the current so close to the pump. It now resides in a barrel
garden. If I get the skimmer covered with a net for the summer, I'll
most likely put that fish back in the pond until next fall when I need
to reopen the skimmer for leaves. I feel bad for it being stuck in a
20 gallon barrell after being in a 1600 gallon pond!

There is no net in this skimmer, It's a hard side slotted basket,
similar to the black aqua pots we all see for sale everywhere. This
skimmer has ports for 2 UV lights. They should give you 2 perferated
plates to cover the openings for the UV lights, for people who don't
use UV's to keep frogs from entering the the pump chamber. But mine
only had one solid plate to use in the second opening, if you only
need 1 UV light. With the one plate in place it forces all the water
to go passed the one UV. I wonder if frogs will still be able to get
through to the pump? Well we are enclosing the pump anyway just to be
sure. Frogs also go through the handle of the basket which is opened
to the pump chamber. Just poor design, with reference to frogs and
fish, not the skimmer it's self.

Sue W

Old 24-03-2004, 04:47 PM
joe

I see a new career on the horizon. This could be fun, traveling across the
country giving seminars to fish!

Joe