Old 23-03-2004, 12:13 AM
Cybe R. Wizard

Default Salt ...

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:16:29 -0500
Hal wrote:

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 06:40:20 GMT, "Cybe R. Wizard"
Cybe_R_Wizard@WizardsTower wrote:

Best guestimate is 900 gallons in the front pond, 1200 in the back,
although that last figure has changed with the recently begun
remodel. Yep, pound box of salt. I just make sure to do a water
trade fairly often through the season so salt residual isn't a
problem next year.

Adding a 1 lb. box of salt to 900 gallons of water isn't much.
The rate for a .1% solution is .88 lbs per hundred gallons.

And therein lies the beauty of localized salt; lower total salinity but
plenty of concentrated salt water for the fish to swim around in if they
wish or feel the need.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.

Old 23-03-2004, 01:34 AM
RichToyBox

When I started ponding, one of the "EXPERTS" at a talk at my local pond
supplier stated that the best thing you can do for the fish is to put one
pound of salt per hundred gallons of water (0.1%). That dosage turns out to
be a little over 0.1%. Others say to save the salt until you need it to
keep from developing salt resistant bugs that cannot be eliminated from the
fish with 0.3% salt. Some of those bugs exist that require 0.6% to kill
today. At 0.1% all of my plants have grown well, though I understand the so
called oxygenators do not tolerate salt well. At 0.3% many plants will let
you know that they are not happy. I continue to use salt.
--
RichToyBox

"Hal" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 01:56:56 GMT, "RichToyBox"
wrote:

There are arguments pro and con on the use of salt. I will stay out of

that
argument.

There was a statement in SRAC bulletins recommending a small amount
of salt .02% to .05% I think, but I couldn't find it when I went
looking recently. Research changes ideas and if you know of a
reference that advises not to use salt in aquaculture please share it.

Regards,

Hal

Old 23-03-2004, 03:42 PM
Hal

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 23:33:13 GMT, "Cybe R. Wizard"
Cybe_R_Wizard@WizardsTower wrote:

And therein lies the beauty of localized salt; lower total salinity but
plenty of concentrated salt water for the fish to swim around in if they
wish or feel the need.

So you leave it in the box? I guess that makes something like a salt
deposit? I dropped 10 lbs of solar salt (rock salt) in my plant pond
so it would be in the flow and it was dissolved in a couple days.

Very little salt is needed for osmoregulation, so perhaps you have a
better idea.

Regards,

Hal
Old 23-03-2004, 03:45 PM
Hal

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 01:20:12 GMT, "RichToyBox"
wrote:

Others say to save the salt until you need it to
keep from developing salt resistant bugs that cannot be eliminated from the
fish with 0.3% salt. Some of those bugs exist that require 0.6% to kill
today. At 0.1% all of my plants have grown well, though I understand the so
called oxygenators do not tolerate salt well. At 0.3% many plants will let
you know that they are not happy. I continue to use salt.

Save the heavy doseage of salt until you need it sounds like a good
idea to me too. That is the reason I feel limiting my .1% to winter
application and let it die from rain/water changes is being
conservative.

I don't think I have any oxygenators any more. Parrot feather covers
my plant pond every winter and I only found a few anacharis plants
under it last year, but I don't think .1% salt ever bothered any of my
plants. There was a study on Koivet.com that indicated .1% effected
water hyacinths too, but I couldn't see that. As soon as water
hyacinths become available to me, I'm putting some more into a .1%
salt solution too.

Regards,

Hal

Old 24-03-2004, 02:19 AM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:24:11 -0500
Hal wrote:

So you leave it in the box? I guess that makes something like a salt
deposit? I dropped 10 lbs of solar salt (rock salt) in my plant pond
so it would be in the flow and it was dissolved in a couple days.

Very little salt is needed for osmoregulation, so perhaps you have a
better idea.

Regards,

Hal

Yep, pull the top of the box off and gently place it on the bottom,
opening faced upward.

Cybe R. Wizard

Old 24-03-2004, 04:46 AM
Nedra

I am wondering if our weather is too cold to put the box of
salt in the pond?

Nedra

Old 24-03-2004, 04:53 AM
joe

Okay, I just have to ask. How the hell do the fish know they need a salt
treatment?

Joe

Old 24-03-2004, 04:55 AM
Cybe R. Wizard

Hal wrote:

So you leave it in the box? I guess that makes something like a salt
deposit? I dropped 10 lbs of solar salt (rock salt) in my plant pond
so it would be in the flow and it was dissolved in a couple days.

Very little salt is needed for osmoregulation, so perhaps you have a
better idea.

Regards,

Hal

Yep, pull the top of the box off and gently place it on the bottom,
opening faced upward.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.
"Wize(ned) Wizard," A.P.F-P-Y.
Barely Tolerated Wizard, A.J.L & A.A.L

Tamarisk: origin of "salt cedar" Mike Lyle Plant Science 37 28-06-2003 12:21 PM
Rock Salt vs Pond Salt itten Ponds 1 18-05-2003 01:20 PM
EPSOM Salt cause algae explosion? alex crouvier Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:09 AM
adding salt Carola / Les Ponds 8 08-02-2003 11:54 PM
What is "Coarse Salt" used for? Ablang Gardening 3 29-01-2003 04:33 AM