Old 27-03-2004, 01:03 AM
Mike Patterson

Default Adding dechlorinator when topping up - kinda long

Needed to top up the pond, my area uses Chloramine, so I have to use
dechlorinator.

The bottle said to add 1 capful for every 20 gallons of water, but how
many gallons did I need to add, and how to calculate it, and how do I
add the stuff?

Dump it into the pond before adding the water? Could that be bad for
the fish?

Add the water then dump in the stuff? Would the exposure to chloramine
before it was neutralized hurt the fish?

Was I wasting time and emotional energy worrying about it? Well, maybe
a little bit...

At any rate, I settled on this method:

I put a clean 5-gallon bucket (God, I love those things!) in a place
where when overfilled it would overflow into the pond. Used a spring
clamp to attach the garden hose near the bottom of the bucket.
-Inside- of the bucket.

Now to calculate what's needed -

My pond has 104 square feet of surface area, so divide that by 12 to
get the cubic feet of water necessary to raise the level by one inch
gives me 8.666 (all those sixes got a bit scary here...) cubic feet.

Multiply the cubic feet by 7.48 gallons in a cubic foot giving me 64.8
gallons to raise my pond's level by one inch.

I wanted to raise the water by 2 inches, so I rounded up to 130
gallons and added 6 caps full of chemical to the 5-gallon bucket (You
remember the bucket, don't you? We left it right next to the pond.)

Turned on the garden hose and I'm thinking that this way, the
chloramine-laden water will have to go through the
de-chlorinator-laden bucket to get to the pond.

If anyone thinks I'm off track here, please let me know.

BTW, still working on the fire & water thing. Got a bright idea to use
clear tubing to feed the gas to a point near the surface, but gotta
make my own adapter...tomorrow.

Also, if anyone reading this in the Kansas City area today was using
Starbuck's HotSpot WiFi, sorry about that! Took me an hour, but I
fixed it...

Mike

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
Old 30-03-2004, 11:35 PM
BenignVanilla

"Mike Patterson" wrote in message
news
Needed to top up the pond, my area uses Chloramine, so I have to use
dechlorinator.

The bottle said to add 1 capful for every 20 gallons of water, but how
many gallons did I need to add, and how to calculate it, and how do I
add the stuff?
snip

I was baffled by this the first time I had to add it. Now I use a tried and
true method. When my auto-water change system(translation: Leaking Stream)
brings the pond down about 3-4 inches, I know that the pond will now hold an
additional 175-200 gallons of water. I treat the VF for 200 gallons, and set
my hose to pour out 200 gallons. Home Depot has a fancy little $15.00 device
to allow you to set the number of gallons you want, and then the hose shuts
off.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 01-04-2004, 08:15 PM
Andy Hill

Mike Patterson wrote:

[...]

Won't hurt anything, but it's fancier than needed. I know plenty of freshwater
aquarist who just dump the water conditioner in the tank, then top it off (if
you're using a Python to vac then top off the tank, this is by far the
least-hassle method).

Old 01-04-2004, 08:16 PM
BenignVanilla

"Andy Hill" wrote in message
snip
Won't hurt anything, but it's fancier than needed. I know plenty of

freshwater
aquarist who just dump the water conditioner in the tank, then top it off

(if
you're using a Python to vac then top off the tank, this is by far the
least-hassle method).

I agree. Dechlore is mandatory, but not as complicated as it seems. Non
dechlored water is not instaneous death, so dump the dechlor in, top the
pond off. You'll be OK. Disclaimer: I would tend to discuss this topic
differently if refering to filling and not topping off. Anytime we are
talking about more then say 30% water change, the methods are different.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com