Old 30-03-2004, 11:35 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Advise on submerged rocks - fish hide outs.

"Josh" wrote in message
om...
My local pond store practically threatened to kill me if I put rocks
on the bottom of my pond saying I would never control the algea, but
several of you are talking about doing just that for hiding places
(which is what I originally thought too) any comments?

snip

There is a difference between a few nicely placed 'rocks' and a layer of
gravel or river rock. A bedding of small rocks provides lots of nooks and
crannies for plant matter to rot in. BTW, I despise sentences that end in
prepositions. IMHO, a bedding of rock looks nice, and I think the rotting
crannies theory is a bit overblown. I did have areas of pea gravel in my VF
to keep some pots standing upright, and I can tell you...it turned out to be
a mess, and would never do it again.

OK, so back to your point...A few big rocks in your pond will look nice,
natural and give your fishes a place in which to hide. HA, foiled that
prepisition!

--
BV.
Dangling his participle over ponds everywhere.

Old 30-03-2004, 11:35 PM
BenignVanilla

"joe" wrote in message
Ah, the great debate. Many on this list say no rocks. It's way easier to
keep clean, and I would agree with that. On the other hand, looks kinda
sparse to my eyes. I put rocks in - but fairly large ones - no sand or
gravel type stuff. It's a compromise I can deal with. Never heard it
contributed to an algae problem though.

Just my HO

snip

I'd add...big rocks provide more surface area for bio-pigs. Besides...what's
a little sweater algae.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 30-03-2004, 11:36 PM
Janet

Go read the thread titled "No Rocks!!!!" over at http://www.koivet.com and
you'll see why (complete with pictures) as to why so many say no rocks in
the pond...
Janet in rainy Niagara Falls,ON

Old 01-04-2004, 08:15 PM
BenignVanilla

Interesting thread, here it is BTW http://tinyurl.com/2kcvw. I have also
archived it at iheartmypond.com.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 01-04-2004, 08:15 PM
Janet

That's a great idea to archive it BV! Hopefully new ponders will re-think
their choices after reading that thread. My own opinion is that rocks are
not all bad but one needs to make an informed decision and be prepared to
do massive cleanings at least twice a year, if not more often depending on
the fish load of the pond.

That said I have a 20+ foot liner stream covered in pea gravel and small
river rock. We just cleaned out our ponds this past weekend. We had a
minimal amount of pea gravel that had slid into the lower pond during the
winter. There was definitely sludge and gunk trapped in it, it was nasty! We
haven't cleaned the stream yet, that's planned for this weekend, I fully
expect the same...
Janet in "spring has sprung!" Niagara Falls, ON

Old 01-04-2004, 08:16 PM
Josh

Janet,

I looked and searched and googled and I couldn't find that article, is it missing?

Old 01-04-2004, 08:16 PM
BenignVanilla

http://tinyurl.com/2kcvw.

--