Old 08-04-2004, 12:02 PM
pixi

Default Hiding the Skimmer

Can someone give me advice on how to hide the skimmer? It is at the corner
of my new pond that will eventually have plantings around it.

I thought I could probably hide it with plants but then there is the problem
of getting to it to clean the filter. There is probably a plant that would
cover it and is easily pushed aside to remove the cover and get into the
skimmer but I can't think of anything.

Can someone help please?

Pixi

Old 08-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Benign Vanilla

"pixi" wrote in message
Can someone give me advice on how to hide the skimmer? It is at the

corner
of my new pond that will eventually have plantings around it.

I thought I could probably hide it with plants but then there is the

problem
of getting to it to clean the filter. There is probably a plant that

would
cover it and is easily pushed aside to remove the cover and get into the
skimmer but I can't think of anything.

Can someone help please?

Many ponders use synthetic stone, or real stone to cover the skimmer. A nice
piece of slate, would like nice, and could have planting around it to make
it blend in further.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 08-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Jim

Can someone give me advice on how to hide the skimmer?

Here's some pics of how I hide my skimmer.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...92766594FXGdLl

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...78422098FURJsT

Jim
Zone 8a - Dallas, Texas
Pond, Veggie Filter, Pond Maintenance & Pond Tour Pics:
http://community.webshots.com/user/dallas75248

Old 09-04-2004, 01:03 AM
pixi

Lovely!!! It is really, really lovely.

I am assuming that the flat stone covers the skimmer, but isn't it sort of
heavy? I have a cover that is supposed to look like natural stone but it
doesn't. Thought I could use it and have some sort of plant hanging over
top that could be pushed aside when necessary to clean the skimmer.

Thanks for your reply.

Pixi

Old 09-04-2004, 01:03 AM
pixi

Thanks for your reply. Seems like slate would be kind of heavy, wouldn't
it? I aint no spring chicken.

Enjoy your posts!!

Pixi

Old 09-04-2004, 01:33 AM
P Winters

Hi all, Flowerlady her in mid Mich, z 5. I`ve never posted here before.
In answer to pixi`s question regarding hiding skimmer. When ever I have
something to hide that is around the pond, I often use cocomat or sheet
moss until I can get something to grow there. In early spring I will
put the cocomat on top of skimmer and then set a pot of pansies on it.
When planting time comes I plant margarita sweet potato vine on one side
of the skimmer and as it grows let some trail over the edge of pond and
train the rest to go over the top of skimmer. It does a good job of
hiding it, you just have to be gentle when you move it to get into the
skimmer. i`d like to hear from other ponders how they hide theirs.

Old 09-04-2004, 02:34 AM
Ka30P

Hello flowerlady,
Welcome to rec.ponds!
Interesting solution!

kathy :-)
Old 09-04-2004, 05:32 AM
Jim

I am assuming that the flat stone covers the skimmer, but
isn't it sort of heavy?

It is a little heavy.... The flagstone on top of my skimmer is about
1" think and weighs 30-35 pounds. I tilt it off towards the back and
rest it against a post during my weekly skimmer cleaning.

Old 09-04-2004, 11:02 AM
pixi

In answer to pixi`s question regarding hiding skimmer. When ever I have
something to hide that is around the pond, I often use cocomat or sheet
moss until I can get something to grow there. In early spring I will
put the cocomat on top of skimmer and then set a pot of pansies on it.

Sounds like a great idea. Wonder what besides sweet potato vine would do.

Thanks a bunch.

Old 12-04-2004, 04:33 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

If you want something really light weight and no watering, go silk. I can
remember a ponder on here using silk ferns to cover plumbing parts, worked
really well. ~ jan

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 05:43:53 -0400, "pixi" wrote:

In answer to pixi`s question regarding hiding skimmer. When ever I have
something to hide that is around the pond, I often use cocomat or sheet
moss until I can get something to grow there. In early spring I will
put the cocomat on top of skimmer and then set a pot of pansies on it.

Sounds like a great idea. Wonder what besides sweet potato vine would do.

Thanks a bunch.

~ jan (Do you know where your water quality is?)