Old 12-04-2004, 02:03 PM
KRF

Default What kind of salt to get

Just need to know what kind of salt to buy, my local pond store sells
jars for 20.00 each. There has to be a cheaper alternative, I just
don't know what. Can I use un iodized table salt? Water softener salt?
Thanks

Old 12-04-2004, 06:06 PM

water softening salt, no additives, crystals and in a plastic bag, not paper. it is
often called solar salt. usually at the food store. Ingrid

(KRF) wrote:

Just need to know what kind of salt to buy, my local pond store sells
jars for 20.00 each. There has to be a cheaper alternative, I just
don't know what. Can I use un iodized table salt? Water softener salt?
Thanks

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 13-04-2004, 10:35 PM
volts500

"KRF" wrote in message
Just need to know what kind of salt to buy, my local pond store sells
jars for 20.00 each. There has to be a cheaper alternative, I just
don't know what. Can I use un iodized table salt? Water softener salt?
Thanks

Don't use iodized salt. Rock salt is best because it contains not only
Sodium salt, but Calcium and Magnesium salts as well, which yields better
results when trying to improve the fishes osmoregulation as compared to
using pure NaCl (water softener salt). 99.9 % pure NaCl water softener salt
does work and is inexpensive, however if you can find bulk rock salt, IMHO,
that would be preferred. "Aquarium Salt" and "Pond Salt" _is_ rock salt,
just with an expensive price tag.

Old 14-04-2004, 03:05 AM
Hal

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 21:07:35 GMT, "volts500"
wrote:

"KRF" wrote in message
Just need to know what kind of salt to buy, my local pond store sells
jars for 20.00 each. There has to be a cheaper alternative, I just
don't know what. Can I use un iodized table salt? Water softener salt?
Thanks

Don't use iodized salt. Rock salt is best because it contains not only
Sodium salt, but Calcium and Magnesium salts as well, which yields better
results when trying to improve the fishes osmoregulation as compared to
using pure NaCl (water softener salt). 99.9 % pure NaCl water softener salt
does work and is inexpensive, however if you can find bulk rock salt, IMHO,
that would be preferred. "Aquarium Salt" and "Pond Salt" _is_ rock salt,
just with an expensive price tag.

Wouldn't it be better to check hardness (GH) before adding calcium or
magnesium?

Regards,

Hal

Old 14-04-2004, 03:05 AM
Mike Patterson

wrote:

"KRF" wrote in message
Just need to know what kind of salt to buy, my local pond store sells
jars for 20.00 each. There has to be a cheaper alternative, I just
don't know what. Can I use un iodized table salt? Water softener salt?
Thanks

Don't use iodized salt. Rock salt is best because it contains not only
Sodium salt, but Calcium and Magnesium salts as well, which yields better
results when trying to improve the fishes osmoregulation as compared to
using pure NaCl (water softener salt). 99.9 % pure NaCl water softener salt
does work and is inexpensive, however if you can find bulk rock salt, IMHO,
that would be preferred. "Aquarium Salt" and "Pond Salt" _is_ rock salt,
just with an expensive price tag.

how about "kosher" salt?

I keep it around for margarita glasses, I guess I could share it with
my little pisce friends.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
Old 14-04-2004, 04:34 PM
Lee B.

The lasts time I looked, kosher salt has/d YSP, which is something that's
used to keep the salt from clumping. It's not good for gills . . . but if
you're only using a small amount of it, it won't kill them (the *first*
time, at least s). Keep it for the margueritas (or other cooking!).

Lee

Old 14-04-2004, 04:34 PM
Lee B.

Volts, go to Home Depot, Lowe's, whatever and get the Morton Salt in the
blue bag. You'll get 20 lbs. of it for about $3.00 or so. It's fine for
fish.

Lee

Old 15-04-2004, 02:03 AM
volts500

"Lee B." wrote in message
Volts, go to Home Depot, Lowe's, whatever and get the Morton Salt in the
blue bag. You'll get 20 lbs. of it for about $3.00 or so. It's fine for
fish.

Lee

OK, thanks. Is that Morton in the blue bag rock salt or water softener
salt?

Old 15-04-2004, 02:34 AM
volts500

wrote:

"KRF" wrote in message
[...]

I'd think that if the GH were changed significantly by adding salt that the
salt level would be way over what the fish could take anyway.

Old 15-04-2004, 12:33 PM
Sue Walsh

"Lee B." wrote in message ...
The lasts time I looked, kosher salt has/d YSP, which is something that's
used to keep the salt from clumping. It's not good for gills . . .

Lee,
My box of Kosher Salt says ingredients: Salt

Nothing else listed, does that mean it's OK to use for the fish?

Sue W
Old 15-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Lee B.

It's just rock salt used for water softeners. Or icy sidewalks, but we don't
live there G. Just don't get the pellets (yellow bag). You want plain ol'
rock salt. (I have a water softener that I use the yellow bag for, and then
I have the blue bag that I use for the pond. Every once in awhile, when my
husband gets in a "helpful" mood, he'll dump my fish salt in the water
softener to top it off. Oh well - it's cheap!)

Lee

"volts500" wrote in message
m...

Old 15-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Lee B.

Hey Sue! Yeh - if there's nothing else in it but salt - but trust me: a 3
lb. box of kosher salt won't do jack-diddly for a pond's salt level. And
it's expensive compared to a 20 lb. bag of rock salt. Shoot - you can buy
the rock salt at the grocery store (I know Publix and Winn-Dixie carries
it) - it's more expensive than at Home Depot, but you won't have to make the
extra stop.

Lee

"Sue Walsh" wrote in message
om...