Old 18-04-2004, 04:04 PM
Mosfunland

Default lotus tuber

I salvaged just two tubers from a tub of lotus that took over my pond during
the past two years.....it had jumped the pot with several tubers running almost
the entire length..."now why is that lotus leaf coming up way over
there"......my son and I battled the tubers, reclaimed the pond, and I have two
small reasonable sized tubers I want to put into the big tub and start over.

Any ideas on how to pot these tubers? They are in a tub of water....beginning
to show signs of life.....

Thanks
Maureen
Old 18-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Nedra

Hi Maureen,

Just add some dirt to the tub; make indentations for the tubers on
top of the soil;
place the tubers in the indentations; add more dirt - not too much
though. You want them to be able to reach the top easily.

You can also place a small flat rock on top of the tubers, if they
don't stay planted. This is what I usually have to do ;-)

Good Luck!

Nedra

Old 18-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Mosfunland

Thanks Nedra! What a mess those tubers make when they go unchecked......

Could I use catlitter in the tub? Or should I just dig up some clay from the
yard....

maureen
Old 19-04-2004, 12:04 AM
Nedra

Hi there, Maureen,

Use the clay from your yard.
Much better for lotus!

Old 19-04-2004, 12:05 AM
Mosfunland

Use the clay from your yard.
Much better for lotus!

Thanks! I figured if anyone knew about lotus, you did!!!
That's exactly what I did, I put a small flat rock on the soil above the
rearend of the tuber....the growing points are above the soil.....

Maureen

Old 19-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Nedra" wrote in message
.net...
Hi Maureen,

Just add some dirt to the tub; make indentations for the tubers on
top of the soil;
place the tubers in the indentations; add more dirt - not too much
though. You want them to be able to reach the top easily.

You can also place a small flat rock on top of the tubers, if they
don't stay planted. This is what I usually have to do ;-)

snip

I agree, my lotus are actually more sitting in some mud more then they are
"planted". LOL. Nedra, this year I have 1 tubor in four feet of water in an
18 inch pot, and 4 tubors in 2 feet of water in a rectangle window box. The
experiment begins.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 20-04-2004, 04:05 AM
Nedra

Hi BV,
Sounds like the deck is stacked against the 18 inch pot... a
good experiment. I think I'll bet on the ones that are 2 feet
deep ;-)

Nedra

Old 20-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Nedra" wrote in message
nk.net...
Hi BV,
Sounds like the deck is stacked against the 18 inch pot... a
good experiment. I think I'll bet on the ones that are 2 feet
deep ;-)

snip

Hey don't discount it yet. All of my lotus grew tall and strong from 4 feet
down last year!

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 20-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Nedra" wrote in message
ink.net...
Yes... how well I remember! Just thought I'd make it
interesting ;-) LOL

We'll see how it goes. If I ever get the indoor projects done, maybe I'll
take that stack of cinderblocks I bought last year, and finally get around
to making my shallow lotus garden.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 20-04-2004, 06:12 PM
Heather

Nedra - in your opinion what is the shallowest I can plant a lotus? I have
a boggy area separated from the pond by rocks but sharing the pond water. I
can dig the dirt down about a foot before hitting the liner. Your
thoughts???

Heather

Old 21-04-2004, 12:07 AM
Nedra

Heather, I think a foot down would be pretty nigh perfect!
Probably 8 inches would be the shallowest I would go...

You don't have to plant them deeply in the pot/tub though ;-)

Nedra

news

Old 21-04-2004, 01:07 AM
Mosfunland

My lotus had jumped the pot a couple years ago.....last year I pulled out
several tubers that were um........HUGE!!!! 2-3 feet long and ummmm verrrry
interesting.....my 20 something son saw me pull one out and said "what the heck
is that?" I had several replies....... At any rate, nothing I did to that
lotus damaged it in any way.....it just sent out more "appendages". Finally
this year we emptied the pond....and the two little tubers I repotted per
Nedra's instructions...
Maureen

Old 24-04-2004, 06:04 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

"Mosfunland" wrote in message
My lotus had jumped the pot a couple years ago.....last year I pulled out
several tubers that were um........HUGE!!!! 2-3 feet long and ummmm

verrrry interesting... Maureen

And their edible. ~ jan

~ jan (Do you know where your water quality is?)