Old 27-04-2004, 10:06 AM
Doug

Default Elephant Ears

Can you plant an elephant ear Bulb directly in the pond water??

The ones you can buy at Wal-Mart,it is the size of a grapefruit.

Thanks
Doug

Old 27-04-2004, 04:05 PM
Pond Newbie

They are listed as toxic to cats, so I passed on them. With five cats, and eventually an
enclosed 'garden area' for them where they can go outside, I want to plant only
cat-friendly things.

http://www.pondepot.com/plants/toxic_plants.html
This site lists them as toxic to koi. So I'd say you are right. I'd plant them away
from the pond, if at all.

DeAnna
--
http://lamb.iswiz.com/pond.php
If you remember that I prefer my spam without cheese-

"Bill" wrote in message
m...
There's at least a 50% chance I'm right so here's my guess. I don't think
so Doug. I'm guessing you're asking because they look just like Taro. But
Taro are root plants not bulb. Again I may be wrong but I also thought I
saw Elephant Ears (the leaf) as being potentially poisonous to your fish.
Have Fun!!
Bill Brister

Old 27-04-2004, 05:09 PM
Fernando Rivera

I believe that the term toxic plants is a misleading one. The plant will be
consider toxic if it's consumed in large quantities. Like someone said, how
is the fish supposed to crawl an climb on the stem to reach the leafs. It
won't happen. On a similar topic we had poinsettas planted outside, people
say it's toxic and should be kept away from pets, well I asked my vet and he
said my dog would have to eat the entire plant before something happened to
him. Well that will never happen.

Old 27-04-2004, 05:11 PM
Janet

I just bought a package of elephant ear bulbs at HD. On the tag it says to
plant 2-3" and 24" apart in a good garden soil. Suitable for large pots,
raised beds and WILL grow in standing water...
Janet in cloudy Niagara Falls

Old 27-04-2004, 08:13 PM
Pond Newbie

I don't think I would put a potentially toxic plant in the water for the simple fact that
leaves often droop, and sometimes when they do, they being to decompose. Most toxins
remain, even when the plant dies, and could potentially taint the water.

Perhaps I am just paranoid, but I follow the 'better safe than sorry' school of thought.

DeAnna

Old 27-04-2004, 09:08 PM
Charles

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 06:00:12 GMT, "Bill"
wrote:

There's at least a 50% chance I'm right so here's my guess. I don't think
so Doug. I'm guessing you're asking because they look just like Taro. But
Taro are root plants not bulb. Again I may be wrong but I also thought I
saw Elephant Ears (the leaf) as being potentially poisonous to your fish.
Have Fun!!
Bill Brister

Colocasia esculenta, one of the plants sold as Elephant Ear and as
taro, is poisonous. The poison is Oxalic acid, or oxalate crystals.
It is insoluble in water. Taro must be processed before it can be
eaten. It should not hurt the fish, as they won;t chomp down on it.

--

- Charles
-
Old 27-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Offbreed

Charles wrote:

Colocasia esculenta, one of the plants sold as Elephant Ear and as
taro, is poisonous. The poison is Oxalic acid, or oxalate crystals.

Ouch. Sugar beets and Skunk cabbage also have Oxalic acid in them. I
tried tasting each, NEVER AGAIN. Ohhh, that hurt.

Old 02-05-2004, 12:14 AM
Peggy

I just planted mine in kitty litter with pond tabs you can see them at
webshots. They were huge.. I haven't gotten them in the pond yet this year
as we may still get a frost but go to
http://community.webshots.com/user/peggy256

I really need to update. Lots of landscaping done but look and you'll see
how well they did sitting right in the pond.

Good luck. I too got mine at Wal-Mart's

Peggy

Old 02-05-2004, 02:12 AM
Nedra

Thanks for the pictures, Peggy! Worth a thousand words.
Lovely pond btw....

Nedra

. ..

Elephant Ears Road Runner Gardening 5 17-02-2005 04:36 AM
elephant ears without the elephant Litl Fish Australia 5 15-06-2003 03:08 AM
elephant ears without the elephant Litl Fish Australia 0 27-05-2003 08:32 AM
elephant ears TakeThisOut Gardening 3 07-04-2003 06:20 PM
Elephant Ears TakeThisOut Gardening 23 14-03-2003 01:20 AM