Old 04-05-2004, 01:04 PM
The Destroyer

Default ponds u say

ponds....honestly ponds.....you people deeply confuse me, deeply indeed
Old 04-05-2004, 01:05 PM

ponds....honestly ponds.....you people deeply confuse me, deeply indeed

Wow...wandering around Usenet with nothing to do.
Lonely?
Old 04-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Mouse

You are obviously a troll, and easily confused
Mouse
"The Destroyer" wrote in message
m...
ponds....honestly ponds.....you people deeply confuse me, deeply indeed

Old 04-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Ann in Houston

confused about what? That we care so much about ponds? Probably not more
than car enthusiasts care about their cars, or other types of gardeners care
about that, or woodworking folks care about their hobby. Take a look at
some of the pictures posted here, and you may get it.

Old 05-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Snooze

"The Destroyer" wrote in message
m...
ponds....honestly ponds.....you people deeply confuse me, deeply indeed

"Ann in Houston" wrote in message
m...
confused about what? That we care so much about ponds? Probably not more
than car enthusiasts care about their cars, or other types of gardeners

care
about that, or woodworking folks care about their hobby. Take a look at
some of the pictures posted here, and you may get it.

I thought this newsgroup was about managing cooling ponds for nuclear
reactors.

Old 05-05-2004, 08:12 PM
Sean Dinh

No no, we are best at cultivating algae and duckweed.

Old 22-05-2004, 05:09 AM
Tom L. La Bron

Jan,

Sorry, what you are saying is misinformation because
the water in the ponds at nuclear sites have no contact
with nuclear material at all.

A side note that might be of interest is that at the
Nuclear site in Russia where they had the disaster they
have found that Sunflowers grow well in the nuclear
soil and seem to have a great affinity for pulling the
nuclear contaminants out of the soil fast and in larger
quantities than any plant they have found.

Tom L.L.
--------------------------------------
~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
Nuclear Plants only have so many years of life, cooling ponds will need
conversion someday. I just bet there's an algae out there that eats
radiation. ;o) ~ jan

Old 22-05-2004, 04:07 PM

only if the radioactive material is a nutrient normally taken up by the algae,
unfortunately. Then there is a the problem of disposing of the radioactive algae.
what many people dont understand is that anything can become radioactive (well except
helium IIRC) that is in contact with penetrating radiation. Ingrid

jan JJsPond.us wrote:
Nuclear Plants only have so many years of life, cooling ponds will need
conversion someday. I just bet there's an algae out there that eats
radiation. ;o) ~ jan

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 22-05-2004, 06:05 PM
Tom L. La Bron

Here again Ingrid,

This is where you are making a general assumption of
water used in a nuclear facility. The don't turn on
the local faucet to fill the pipes, plus it is a sealed
pressurized system. The water used in Nuclear reactors
has nothing in it but water. The water is super clean
in nuclear facilities just to prevent the possibility
of something like that happening.

I know this from personal experience because I used to
work in the Nuclear Field.

Tom L.L.

jan JJsPond.us wrote:

Nuclear Plants only have so many years of life, cooling ponds will need
conversion someday. I just bet there's an algae out there that eats
radiation. ;o) ~ jan

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 23-05-2004, 12:10 AM
Registered User

Location: ENGLAND, EAST YORKSHIRE, HULL

huh? wow im well confused nuclear ponds? wtf?????? and i highlight the "F"!!! i like my pond because i can look out of my window in a morning and see my fav guys swiming about so happy,

pics of my pond building can be found at http://www.wardl895.karoo.net cheers rich
__________________
...HAIL ALL KOI, BOW BEFORE THEM...

my pond pic website- http://www.wardl895.karoo.net

Old 25-05-2004, 06:14 PM
Susan H. Simko

WARDL895 wrote:
huh? wow im well confused nuclear ponds? wtf?????? and i highlight the
"F"!!! i like my pond because i can look out of my window in a morning
and see my fav guys swiming about so happy,

I think some people may be confusing waste pools with cooling ponds. As
Tom said, the cooling ponds never touch the redioactive isotopes inside
the reactor. The cooling system in the reactor is a closed loop system
that uses a heat exchanger to transfer the heat out of the water in the
reactor cooling system. The reactor coolant and the water from the
cooling pond never physically mingle.

OTOH, the waste pools are where discarded fuel rods are held. It's only
supposed to be temporary but until the politic*ians decide what should
be done, the fule rods still sit in many "temporary" pools. Those pools
are supposedly built so that nothing escapes from them.

Susan (too many years working on nuclear fuel design from the computer
modeling angle and whose father is a nuclear engineer)

shsimko[@]duke[.]edu
Old 26-05-2004, 05:16 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Tom L. La Bron" wrote in message
Jan,

Sorry, what you are saying is misinformation because
the water in the ponds at nuclear sites have no contact
with nuclear material at all.

A side note that might be of interest is that at the
Nuclear site in Russia where they had the disaster they
have found that Sunflowers grow well in the nuclear
soil and seem to have a great affinity for pulling the
nuclear contaminants out of the soil fast and in larger
quantities than any plant they have found.

snip

A friend of a friend at Rutgers is actually experimenting with this concept
now. Using plants to remove radiation from soil. Last I heard he was trying
tomato plants.

BV.

Old 26-05-2004, 05:17 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote in message
only if the radioactive material is a nutrient normally taken up by the

algae,
unfortunately. Then there is a the problem of disposing of the

radioactive algae.
what many people dont understand is that anything can become radioactive

(well except
helium IIRC) that is in contact with penetrating radiation.

snip

I am not nuclear physicist, but I am fairly certain that you cannot become
radioactive simply by being radiated. You must be in contact with particles.
IE, if I was within a few feet of some plutonium it would kill me, but if I
were not directly exposed to "its" air, I could walk away and not be
radioactive.

BV.

Old 26-05-2004, 05:19 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Susan H. Simko" wrote in message
WARDL895 wrote:
huh? wow im well confused nuclear ponds? wtf?????? and i highlight the
"F"!!! i like my pond because i can look out of my window in a morning
and see my fav guys swiming about so happy,

I think some people may be confusing waste pools with cooling ponds. As
Tom said, the cooling ponds never touch the redioactive isotopes inside
the reactor. The cooling system in the reactor is a closed loop system
that uses a heat exchanger to transfer the heat out of the water in the
reactor cooling system. The reactor coolant and the water from the
cooling pond never physically mingle.

snip

And the cooling towers are a sight to see. I worked at a plant for a few
months, doing on nuclear stuff, but I parked near the towers every day. It
was weird to see how the updraft of the steam could actually pull the flow
of water slightly inward towards the center of the tower. Yup, the water
don't fall straight down in there. Very odd to see.

BV.

Old 26-05-2004, 06:09 PM
Ka30P

DH works at a nuclear plant and in cold weather they have nuclear winter around
the cooling tower. It 'snows' all around the towers.

kathy :-)