Old 05-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default Plant Swap Solution

A few weeks back somebody suggest an on-line plant swap system would be a
great thing to have. I mulled the idea over and I have a design ready. I
plan to start coding it soon, and it will be added a free tool to
iheartmypond.com. I realize it is probably a bad idea to discuss vaporware
on a newsgroup, but I wanted to get an idea for what features you, as a
friendly porg, would be interested in seeing.

I am basically envisioning, you login and are able to post an ad either as a
want or as a have. The ads will then be listed by category as we have all of
our content now (but on a seperate page). You'd also be able to search using
keywords. Your ad would include a link to your email address (considering
alternatives to this to help prevent spam) so you could contact the poster.

Any thoughts?

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 05-05-2004, 09:04 PM
Heather

Hi BV:

First thought that comes to mind is the border restrictions between the US
and Canada. When listing/asking for plants a field that asks for location
would be a good idea. In the description people could put a link to their
own sites if they have pictures. (Used to be a programmer)

Heather
SW Ontario

Old 05-05-2004, 09:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Heather" wrote in message
. ..
Hi BV:

First thought that comes to mind is the border restrictions between the US
and Canada. When listing/asking for plants a field that asks for location
would be a good idea. In the description people could put a link to their
own sites if they have pictures. (Used to be a programmer)

snip

Pictures, URL's, etc. will be possible. Good tip on locations, Thanks.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 05-05-2004, 10:04 PM
joe

On 5/5/04 12:16 PM, "Benign Vanilla" wrote:

A few weeks back somebody suggest an on-line plant swap system would be a
great thing to have.

That was me!

I am basically envisioning, you login and are able to post an ad either as a
want or as a have. The ads will then be listed by category as we have all of
our content now (but on a seperate page). You'd also be able to search using
keywords. Your ad would include a link to your email address (considering
alternatives to this to help prevent spam) so you could contact the poster.

Would you have ads automatically go away after a given period say 5 days, or
would the poster be responsible for that. I guess the issue is you don't
want some advertising something they no longer have.

I was wondering about the implications of sending plants like water hyacinth
to places where it's illegal. Would the site make that connection or would
the purchaser/seller just be responsible for knowing that.

As to the spam, could a purchaser enter his info in a text screen and your
database would generate an actual email to the seller rather than a link.

Joe

Old 06-05-2004, 01:07 AM
jammer

On Wed, 5 May 2004 15:16:34 -0400, "Benign Vanilla"
wrote:

[...]

Sounds good to me, BV. I sure could use some plants and have so much
primrose it might take over the grass, trees, table, and chairs. So
count me in.

Old 06-05-2004, 01:08 AM
Ann in Houston

Didn't see the op. Go look here.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/exponds/?20387
It surprises me that no one here ever mentions garden web. I really like
it.

Ann

Old 06-05-2004, 01:09 AM
joe

I've been there a few times. The problem with the plant swap the way they do
it, is there are still listing there from last year. So you have to scroll
through and see if they are still available. It is a pretty good web site
though.

Joe

Old 06-05-2004, 03:02 AM
jammer

I did suggest gardenweb.

Old 06-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Sue Walsh

joe wrote in message ...

Would you have ads automatically go away after a given period say 5 days, or
would the poster be responsible for that. I guess the issue is you don't
want some advertising something they no longer have.

Could you possibly clear ALL ads say at the end of each month or on
the 1st & 15th of each month? Then we would be starting new once or
twice a month. It would also mean a person looking for something
would not have too much to look through. Just a thought.

Would this be for all types of 'other' plants or just 'water garden'
plants? A compromise could be if 1/2 of each swap had to be a 'water
garden' plant. For example: If I need a water lily but have no other
'water garden' plant to trade I could then offer an 'other' such as a
passionvine. But if I was looking for passionvine, I would have to
offer a 'water garden' plant in trade. In that way 1/2 of the trade
was pond related. Just a thought, we are a pond group. One the flip
side, of my brain, is the thought that we also need 'other' plants to
put around the outside of our ponds, so do we really want to limit it
to 'water garden' plants? Oh well, this is how my life goes, just
can't make up my mind!!

How about a section for depth to place under water from the person who
grew the plant? That could make a differece to some of us in what we
would take as a trade. Example: I have no shelves in my pond and
therefore don't want a lot of plants that I need to haul in more
cement blocks to add to my pond. So that info is something I would
want to know.

As for location, we could just sign that way such as here....

Sue W
Brooksville, FL

PS. I would love to see this go on for the entire pond site, because
for a lot of the posts it would be helpful to know where the writer is
located, the information makes more sense then.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:08 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote:

A few weeks back somebody suggest an on-line plant swap system would be

great thing to have.

That was me!

I thought is was but was not sure. I really like the idea, and want to get
it implemented soon.

snip

Would you have ads automatically go away after a given period say 5 days,

or
would the poster be responsible for that. I guess the issue is you don't
want some advertising something they no longer have.

Each poster of either "a want" or "a have" ad will be able to choose an
expiration date. I'll probably default the date to 30 days. Once a swap has
taken place, and the products is gone, it would be up to the poster to close
the ad, if it is before the expiration date.

I was wondering about the implications of sending plants like water

hyacinth
to places where it's illegal. Would the site make that connection or would
the purchaser/seller just be responsible for knowing that.

The swap service will be nothing more then a coffee shop providing space for
porgs to trade. It will be up to the swappers to determine the costs, and
legality of what they are transporting. We plan to have notices on this, and
make it part of the sign up process. We'll also have links to some of the
government lists to assist.

As to the spam, could a purchaser enter his info in a text screen and your
database would generate an actual email to the seller rather than a link.

snip

This is what I was thinking of as well. We won't publish emails, but we'll
store them. Then a responder can click a link on the ad, and we'll send an
email to the poster, including the responders email. Then the transaction
can take place off-line. We'll only send the initial email.

BV.

Old 06-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Sue Walsh" wrote in message
om...
joe wrote in message

Would you have ads automatically go away after a given period say 5

days, or
would the poster be responsible for that. I guess the issue is you don't
want some advertising something they no longer have.

Could you possibly clear ALL ads say at the end of each month or on
the 1st & 15th of each month? Then we would be starting new once or
twice a month. It would also mean a person looking for something
would not have too much to look through. Just a thought.

Each ad will have an auto-expire date which will default to 30 days. The
poster can extend this, if (s)he chooses.

Would this be for all types of 'other' plants or just 'water garden'
plants? A compromise could be if 1/2 of each swap had to be a 'water
garden' plant. For example: If I need a water lily but have no other
'water garden' plant to trade I could then offer an 'other' such as a
passionvine. But if I was looking for passionvine, I would have to
offer a 'water garden' plant in trade. In that way 1/2 of the trade
was pond related. Just a thought, we are a pond group. One the flip
side, of my brain, is the thought that we also need 'other' plants to
put around the outside of our ponds, so do we really want to limit it
to 'water garden' plants? Oh well, this is how my life goes, just
can't make up my mind!!

I intend to make this for ANY type of item or service, not just pond plants.
So if you want to post pumps, filters, etc. I plant to categorize the posts
as "wants" and "haves", and then categorize like we do on
www.iheartmypond.com. So you could peruse by category, or just use the
search engine.
snip

BV.

Old 06-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Heather

Ann -
Neat site if you live in the US. For us Canadians tho' it's a no-go. The
following message is posted there...

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages
here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not
indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

I am looking forward to BV having this swap area up so we porgs north of the
border can get swapping. Thanks again BV for your hard work.

. com...

Old 06-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Heather" wrote in message
Ann -
Neat site if you live in the US. For us Canadians tho' it's a no-go. The
following message is posted there...

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post

messages
here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not
indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

I am looking forward to BV having this swap area up so we porgs north of

the
border can get swapping. Thanks again BV for your hard work.

snip

I hope to have it up soon.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 07-05-2004, 05:03 AM
Sue Walsh

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message ...
"Sue Walsh" wrote in message
om...
joe wrote in message

Would you have ads automatically go away after a given period say 5

days, or
would the poster be responsible for that. I guess the issue is you don't
want some advertising something they no longer have.

Could you possibly clear ALL ads say at the end of each month or on
the 1st & 15th of each month? Then we would be starting new once or
twice a month. It would also mean a person looking for something
would not have too much to look through. Just a thought.

Each ad will have an auto-expire date which will default to 30 days. The
poster can extend this, if (s)he chooses.

The whole idea sounds great to me, I'm always looking for new plants
and having other stuff would just add to the appeal.

Sue W

Old 07-05-2004, 12:06 PM
nswong

Hi Benign Vanilla,

Good tip on locations,

I will suggest the location break to two fields, one is latitude and
the other is longitude, this data should get while the member
registration stage.

It's easier to define a range on this than the location's name.

I'm a software developer.

Regards,
Wong

Plant swap Jangchub Gardening 2 24-02-2007 10:04 PM
Plant swap web site. can anyone remember what the url is? tom United Kingdom 8 14-04-2005 10:03 PM
Plant Swap Input Requested Fleemo Gardening 8 27-03-2004 07:57 PM
Plant Swap Local Why Live Today ? ? Gardening 16 11-03-2004 12:12 PM
Would a plant swap be of interest here? jammer Ponds 12 09-03-2004 01:58 PM