Old 07-05-2004, 02:02 PM
TrishaH40

Default Green Water woes...is my pump not adequate?

I have a 4 year old 550 gal watergarden. 1200 gph pump in a skimmer. All
summer long last year I had green water (until Oct.) I had lots of floaters
and o2-aters. I have 13 goldfish which I do not feed. A landscaper suggested
I get a larger pump and a larger diameter hose to the waterfall. It would
turnover the water at a faster rate, thus eliminating the algae. It is in full
sun. I think its because the water at the bottom is not being recirculated,
since the skimmer moves the water at the top. Any suggestions from other
experienced ponders?
Old 07-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Grubber

"TrishaH40" wrote in message
I have a 4 year old 550 gal watergarden. 1200 gph pump in a skimmer. All
summer long last year I had green water (until Oct.) I had lots of

floaters
and o2-aters. I have 13 goldfish which I do not feed. A landscaper

suggested
I get a larger pump and a larger diameter hose to the waterfall. It

would
turnover the water at a faster rate, thus eliminating the algae. It is in

full
sun. I think its because the water at the bottom is not being

recirculated,
since the skimmer moves the water at the top. Any suggestions from other
experienced ponders?

I'd say your pump is plenty big but your hose may be too small or may have
restricted flow from four years of gunk build-up. Take the hose off and see
if the flow is significantly better. If so, get new hose or replumb with
pvc pipe. Use 1.5" pipe for reduced friction loss.

If you think circulation is a problem, put a diverter in and run a little of
your pump's output to a 'dead zone' at the bottom away from the pump and
waterfall.

Also, if your waterfall is small - as in rock surface area to splash on, not
gpm flow - google on 'trickle tower.' I have found those to be very
effective. They give more surface area for aerobic microbes to chew up the
N.

Old 07-05-2004, 05:09 PM
Just Me \Koi\

Do you have any filtration?

Can you make your pump pick up from the bottom and from the skimmer?

Your pump is more than big enough, unless your waterfall is so high that you
are loosing too much from the lift!

You sound like you are doing all the right things with the pump, skimmer,
and waterfall.

So get some filters, and continue to shade your pond as much as possible!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 07-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Go Fig

In article , TrishaH40
wrote:

I have a 4 year old 550 gal watergarden. 1200 gph pump in a skimmer. All
summer long last year I had green water (until Oct.) I had lots of floaters
and o2-aters. I have 13 goldfish which I do not feed. A landscaper suggested
I get a larger pump and a larger diameter hose to the waterfall. It would
turnover the water at a faster rate, thus eliminating the algae. It is in
full
sun. I think its because the water at the bottom is not being recirculated,
since the skimmer moves the water at the top. Any suggestions from other
experienced ponders?

What model water pump do you have, is it connected to any type of
filter ?

Is your pond concrete, what is the pH ?

An 8 watt UV filter will end the green water within a week and it won't
come back.

jay
Fri May 07, 2004