Old 10-05-2004, 11:10 PM
Waseem

Default Salt in Pond to treat disease

Hi

I have a couple of fish with ulcers , also white fungusy stuff growing
on them, i used Melafix

After using Melafix the goldfish started to get what can be best
described as black / blue / dark red colour around the fungus areas..
I will get a picture if i can, It looks pretty Ugly , it almost looks
like brusing?? The fish seems ok ish it isnt too lazy it comes up with
the other for food although i havent caught it eating yet

I read somewhere that Salt was a goood all round treatment.

My Pond is just 1000L big , how much Salt do i need to add. If
possible Teaspoon / Tablespoons would help as i dont have a good set
of scales

Old 11-05-2004, 02:11 AM

ulcers are bacterial, the white fungusy could be columnaris.
what are your water quality parameters, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH?
bacterial infections always start with parasites. so treat for parasites and
columnaris with PP. http://puregold.aquaria.net/pg/disease/disease.htm
potassium permanganate.
run the salt up to 0.9lb per 100 gallons ... or 0.1%
Ingrid

(Waseem) wrote:
I have a couple of fish with ulcers , also white fungusy stuff growing
on them, i used Melafix

After using Melafix the goldfish started to get what can be best
described as black / blue / dark red colour around the fungus areas..
I will get a picture if i can, It looks pretty Ugly , it almost looks
like brusing?? The fish seems ok ish it isnt too lazy it comes up with
the other for food although i havent caught it eating yet

I read somewhere that Salt was a goood all round treatment.

My Pond is just 1000L big , how much Salt do i need to add. If
possible Teaspoon / Tablespoons would help as i dont have a good set
of scales

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:12 AM
RichToyBox

My calculator says your pond is 268 gallons, which would take about 2.5
pounds of salt per addition to give 0.1%. For fish with parasites, it is
recommended that the salt level be raised to 0.3%. Get a salt level test
kit and verify the salt level is above 0.3 for a couple weeks and then
dilute by water changes to 0.1 or below. 0.3% salt will kill any submerged
plants and will stunt the growth of some others, so you may want to take the
plants out of the pond during the treatment.
--
RichToyBox
"Waseem" wrote in message
m...
Hi

I have a couple of fish with ulcers , also white fungusy stuff growing
on them, i used Melafix

After using Melafix the goldfish started to get what can be best
described as black / blue / dark red colour around the fungus areas..
I will get a picture if i can, It looks pretty Ugly , it almost looks
like brusing?? The fish seems ok ish it isnt too lazy it comes up with
the other for food although i havent caught it eating yet

I read somewhere that Salt was a goood all round treatment.

My Pond is just 1000L big , how much Salt do i need to add. If
possible Teaspoon / Tablespoons would help as i dont have a good set
of scales

Salt water to treat weeds? john Gardening 9 13-06-2004 08:04 PM
Rock Salt vs Pond Salt itten Ponds 1 18-05-2003 01:20 PM
Cherry - what disease and how to treat?? Kristen Gardening 1 17-05-2003 12:56 AM
Cherry - what disease and how to treat?? Kristen Edible Gardening 0 09-05-2003 10:32 PM
Mad Cow Disease / Mad Deer Disease Jim Webster sci.agriculture 370 01-05-2003 10:44 AM