Old 13-05-2004, 07:02 AM
Bill

Default Lotus questions

I was given a handful of Lotus tubers(?hard white things). I know next to
nothing about Lotus except they are similar to water lilies, diff leaves,
fewer blooms, etc. I 'planted' several with minimal end growth, essentially
as I would a lily, using a cut down 5 gallon container. Shortly a leaf
surfaced, roots started developing at that 'joint'. It sent out another
'runner'? 5 or 6 inches over the edge of the pot, another leaf, then another
runner. At this rate it will be to the other end of the pond in a couple of
months.
Questions: 1)Is this normal or did I 'plant' it in the wrong manner to
encourage it to stay in the pot. 2)I still have 6 tubers which I have not
done anything with. What should I be doing with these to keep them
developing untill I plant or give them away.
Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 13-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Mosfunland

Nedra is the expert! I think the 5 gal was way too small. I put two I
salvaged into a huge tub that I originally bought with the lotus. Over the
years it sent out those runners and I redirected them into the pot, because I
had still enough room to do it....and then the last two years it jumped. I
had lotus everywhere....it took over....way over.

This year I emptied the pond, emptied the lotus pot, and saved two reasonable
tubers, that are growing nicely in the pot...but like I said, it is a tub,
filled with clay from below the topsoil. I let the tubers float free until I
had enough energy to pot them up and sink the tub....

Maureen
Old 13-05-2004, 03:05 PM
Nedra

How big is the pond? I'd just keep potting them up and put them
in a rather shallow place until you figure out what you want to do
with them.?? Maybe you can sell a couple?

Nedra

. com...

Old 13-05-2004, 08:07 PM
Bill

Hi Nedra - Thanks for your response. I have been doing most of my pond
building on quite a budget, including 'inheriting' the pond with a new
house. The pond is only about 800 gallons but the average depth is only
about 2 ft so I have proportionately a little more surface area.
Nonetheless since I have been grabbing just about every freebie I could, I
am way over planted already. Hence, the undersized pot (and it was 50
cents). If just letting them float is ok that's the ticket. Right now I am
just trying to see what I was given, (leaves-blooms) before I thin them out,
and eventually plant them in more appropriate containers. This will
undoubtedly be sooner than later, since I already have 40-50% coverage and
they are just beginning to thrive.
Just a little description here of 'who I am' since I will probably be and
have been posting fairly regularly. Maybe eventually some of the group will
recognize me without the traditional how big is your pond, what is your
water quality every time. They'll just recognize 'that's the cheap Texan'
with lotsa plants and little goldfish issues.
I get such pleasure in my pond I often check here a couple times a day
just to increase my knowledge base and decrease my worry wart quotient. I
appreciate that you are one of the regulars who obviously really care about
helping everyone to enjoy their hobby.
Thanxx again
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas
"Nedra" wrote in message
news
How big is the pond? I'd just keep potting them up and put them
in a rather shallow place until you figure out what you want to do
with them.?? Maybe you can sell a couple?

Nedra

. com...

Old 13-05-2004, 11:17 PM
Nedra

Hi there Bill ... thanks for the info on who you are! LOL I got
a kick out of it. Of course, I know you realize that the lotus
will probably get bigger with bigger blooms if they are planted
in dirt - but they will live just floating around on the pond-
not sure for how long though, especially in Hot Texas!

A very tardy Welcome to you ... in case no one has said that
already.

Nedra in Missouri
Zone 6

"Bill" wrote in message
om...
[...]

"Nedra" wrote in message
news
How big is the pond? I'd just keep potting them up and put them
in a rather shallow place until you figure out what you want to do
with them.?? Maybe you can sell a couple?

Nedra

. com...

Old 14-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Mosfunland

Hi Bill,

I let my two tubers float for a couple weeks before I tubbed them up. I had
floaters the year I tried to pull the excess tubers out (not wanting to waste
anything....) I finally threw them out, I had way more lotus than my little
700g puddle could handle.

The ones floating freely, got long and lanky, and I don't think I would have
been able to pot them due to their longitudinal growth. I bought tubs at the
dollar store big things, put some holes in the bottom, potted up a couple
smaller tubers and gave them to friends.

I love the lotus leaves. Especially the rain running off them. Once I saw
Nedra's pictures I knew I had to have a lotus. I only regretted it when it ran
free and took over.

Maureen
Old 14-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Newbie Bill

You're so right. Those pics are amazing. That's my inference. I hate to
lose any of my tubers untill I see what other lilies I can live without.
Thanxx for your response.
Have Fun!!
Bill