Old 15-05-2004, 09:04 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Default Hyacinth Experiment and top posting

Sorry for the lack of clarity. We leave the hyacinths in the pond all
winter. The top leaves die in the cold. Often, all the leaves die in the
cold...but the heart lives. In the spring, we lift them out of the pond,
strip the dead leaves and toss them back into the pond. The pond acts as a
buffer to hold the growth part of the core at 32. It can take that. The
plastic sheet over the top also helpd as it encloses an insulating layer of
air that is heated by the water when the air temperature gets colder than
the water temp.

Come back for more clarification.

Top posting, as I understand it. is putting the new message on TOP of the
old.

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

"Andrew Burgess" wrote in message
"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" writes:

We are now in the 5th season with our hyacinths. All the indoor

wintering
efforts failed. Here in MS, the pond does not deeply freeze. We get

1/2"
of ice once of twice. Our water, obviously, gets to 32. Mostly,

however,
it is in the 30's or even 40's in the winter. We put a plastic sheet over
the hyacinth before the first real freeze. We leave the leaves on. In

the
spring, the leaves are mostly dead from the cold, but the roots make it

as
do a few leaves. Once the temp is reliably into the 40's, we strip off

the
dead leaves and toss the mostly nude plant into the pond.

It sounded at first like you over winter them in the pond but then
you say you toss them into the pond. Where were they?

Posting wrongfully in HTML instead of plain text and posting JPG's madgardener Gardening 26 24-03-2005 11:59 AM
Top Posting; Snop Posting: STOP POSTING! chagoi Ponds 8 17-11-2004 03:08 PM
Far East group poster: was Hyacinth Experiment Mike Patterson Ponds 1 18-05-2004 05:06 AM
Hyacinth Experiment Heather Ponds 35 17-05-2004 06:08 AM
OT posting guidelines [was: Hyacinth Experiment] Gail Futoran Ponds 0 15-05-2004 09:06 PM