Old 28-04-2004, 11:14 PM
Heather

Default Hyacinth Experiment

After reading many ways to try and keep Water Hyacinth over winter I tried
the following:

1. Placed a plant in a quart jar in a sunny window. Kept water topped up.

2. Placed a plant in a floating tub under grow lights from 7am to 11pm.

3. Placed a plant in a net bag and sunk to the bottom of the pond. 4 feet.

Result. - They all died.

Too bad.

Heather

Old 29-04-2004, 12:05 AM
Ron, KC4YOY

I tried to keep some alive in a small tank
in a south facing window, all I got was a lot
of algee.

BUT, Joe a member of the pons NG sent
me a box FULL of Hyacinths that arrived
today, it was like Christmas in April.
There were three gallon size zip lock bags
crammed full of plants.
Assuming they all live, I won't need to buy
any more.

THANKS JOE ! ! !

Ron

C.R."Ron"Lawrence KC4YOY
Antique Radio Collector & Historian
NCI-5445

POBox 3015
Matthews, NC 28106-3015
704-289-1166 (home)

Radio Collection Web Page,
http://www.radioheaven.homestead.com
Clough-Brengle equipment web page
http://CloughBrengle.homestead.com
CC-AWA Web Page,
http://www.cc-awa.org

Old 29-04-2004, 12:05 AM
Charles

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:47:36 -0400, "Heather"
wrote:

After reading many ways to try and keep Water Hyacinth over winter I tried
the following:

1. Placed a plant in a quart jar in a sunny window. Kept water topped up.

2. Placed a plant in a floating tub under grow lights from 7am to 11pm.

3. Placed a plant in a net bag and sunk to the bottom of the pond. 4 feet.

Result. - They all died.

Too bad.

Heather

I kept some alive in an sweater box setting in a south-west facing
window. I had an aquarium heater, and covered the top with plastic
blister wrap.

The ones in the pond survived in better shape, tho.

--

- Charles
-
Old 29-04-2004, 12:06 AM
jammer

wrote:

After reading many ways to try and keep Water Hyacinth over winter I

tried
the following:

1. Placed a plant in a quart jar in a sunny window. Kept water

topped up.

2. Placed a plant in a floating tub under grow lights from 7am to

11pm.

3. Placed a plant in a net bag and sunk to the bottom of the pond.

4 feet.

Result. - They all died.

Too bad.

Heather

LOL... When you sink them, if any of it is green, tear off the dead
parts and let it be. I sunk three and kept one tiny piece of one plant
and it is taking off.

Or, just go buy new ones

Old 29-04-2004, 01:09 AM
joe

You're welcome. Next spring I plan to be more on the ball. In San Diego the
hyacinth don't die over winter in my pond; they just get ratty looking.
Anyway, earlier in the year as I was cleaning up the pond I threw out a few
trash bags of hyacinth. Didn't even enter my little tiny pea brain that
someone else might want them.

Joe

Old 29-04-2004, 01:09 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Heather" wrote in message
After reading many ways to try and keep Water Hyacinth over winter I tried
the following:
Result. - They all died.

==============================
They're hard to keep over the winter but I have been successful. The best
way I found :

They need a very sunny window and algae kept off their roots by using
something the sun doesn't shine through. I wrapped aluminum foil around a
wide mouth old gallon pickle jar. This also keeps the water from getting
too warm. They need FERTILIZER all winter, but only enough to keep a
healthy green color. They need to be DEBUGGED constantly as they're mite
magnets. The mites suck the life out of them.

In my opinion... they're not worth the bother.
--
Carol....
"A closed mouth gathers no feet."

Old 29-04-2004, 04:07 AM
Heather

You are so right!

There was algae on the roots. I did not sheild the light there.

I did not give fertilizer.

The mites were all over the plants in the floating tub but missed the plant
in the other end of the house in the quart jar.

Maybe I will try again. After all there is a challenge there.....

Cheers,
Heather

"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message
news

Old 29-04-2004, 05:04 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

We are now in the 5th season with our hyacinths. All the indoor wintering
efforts failed. Here in MS, the pond does not deeply freeze. We get 1/2"
of ice once of twice. Our water, obviously, gets to 32. Mostly, however,
it is in the 30's or even 40's in the winter. We put a plastic sheet over
the hyacinth before the first real freeze. We leave the leaves on. In the
spring, the leaves are mostly dead from the cold, but the roots make it as
do a few leaves. Once the temp is reliably into the 40's, we strip off the
dead leaves and toss the mostly nude plant into the pond. They explode with
growth and babies when it gets warmer. Moral: if the core of the plant does
not freeze, it comes back.

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 29-04-2004, 05:04 AM
jammer

Yep!

Old 29-04-2004, 04:36 PM

all of you want that hyacinth cause it has that one measly flower at a time and only
for one day. if you can give that ephemeral flower up, then you can forget hyacinths
AND water lettuce and get on with much friendlier, more useful and hardier plants for
veggie filters. properly fertilized water lilies in large pots will nearly cover the
entire surface of a pond. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 29-04-2004, 04:37 PM
gerry

wrote:

After reading many ways to try and keep Water Hyacinth over winter I tried
the following:

1. Placed a plant in a quart jar in a sunny window. Kept water topped up.

2. Placed a plant in a floating tub under grow lights from 7am to 11pm.

3. Placed a plant in a net bag and sunk to the bottom of the pond. 4 feet.

Result. - They all died.

Too bad.

After 3 years, I wintered them just fine! (MA Zone 5).

I put them under metal halide lights, lost all the first year

Last year only two sickly ones survived - took off fine.

This year I have dozens looking pretty good, if a tad small.

Secret was not temperature indoors, it was mo algae on the roots, cleaning
dead debris, aeration and a major dose of fertilizer in February.

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

Old 29-04-2004, 05:10 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote in message
all of you want that hyacinth cause it has that one measly flower at a

time and only
for one day. if you can give that ephemeral flower up, then you can

forget hyacinths
AND water lettuce and get on with much friendlier, more useful and hardier

plants for
veggie filters. properly fertilized water lilies in large pots will

nearly cover the
entire surface of a pond. Ingrid

The water lettuce I had last year had very dense root cones much like a
water hyacinth, but all of hyacinth had much larger cones. For a filter
plant I'd prefer WH, but the lettuce is a close second. Lillies will cover
the pond, but IMHO they just don't have the root mass to be good filter
plants.

I don't care about the flowers. I want them ROOTS!!!

Which reminds me...I still need WH...and can't find any.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 29-04-2004, 06:05 PM
joe

Actually, I could care less if the hyacinth bloom. I think they are one of
the best plants for a veggie filter. Several years ago, here in San Diego,
the city was even experimenting with them to see how well they could clean
sewage.

Joe

Old 29-04-2004, 06:06 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

I have to join the root crew. Flowers are nice to look at. Roots filter,
hold bacteria and grab nutrients. Actually, the WH looks pretty good and
covers surface. Not bad. Also provides LOTS of mulch once they get
reproducing.

wrote in message
all of you want that hyacinth cause it has that one measly flower at a

time and only
for one day. if you can give that ephemeral flower up, then you can

forget hyacinths
AND water lettuce and get on with much friendlier, more useful and hardier

plants for
veggie filters. properly fertilized water lilies in large pots will

nearly cover the
entire surface of a pond. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 29-04-2004, 08:33 PM

lilies are to cover and cool water, the veggie filter is to clean the water and other
water plants are superior in that my water celery and cyperus can get 4-5 feet high
with such enormous root balls I can barely get them back out of the veggie filter.
hyacinths are water lettuce are pikers when it comes to roots. their ONLY advantage
is they float and their roots can be eaten by the fish. Ingrid

"Benign Vanilla" wrote:
I don't care about the flowers. I want them ROOTS!!!

Which reminds me...I still need WH...and can't find any.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List