Old 17-05-2004, 05:08 AM
k conover

Default Netting around plants?

Any of you have creative ideas for netting around tall plants that are
sticking out of my pond? Right now I have a container from Home Depot of
various pond plants at the edge of the pond, and kind of have the netting go
across the pond and stop where the container is, but this leaves gaps around
the sides of the container where there's no net, and I worry that an
industrious raccoon or other animal could still get at the fish...also I'd
like to add other tall plants...?
Kirsten

Old 18-05-2004, 04:11 AM
k conover

No response :-(
Maybe it's a stupid question--you either have netting or plants in the
pond, but not both?

Old 18-05-2004, 07:13 AM
Sean Dinh

My former neighbor uses greenhouse screen to cover his new pond at his new
house, since an egret always hang out on the power pole above the pond. His pond
does not have any water plants. I would have to lift up the screen to view the
Koi.
My other acquaintances use car canopy to cover their ponds. None of them have
water plants.

I have water plants in my pond. I have as much affection for water plants as
fish. Covering the pond is not an option.

Old 18-05-2004, 02:25 PM
Stephen M. Henning

"k conover" wrote:

Maybe it's a stupid question--you either have netting or plants in the
pond, but not both?

A well designed pond can easily have both plants and fish and no
netting. The sides must be vertical so the herons can't stand on the
side and eat fish. You need shallow places for the plants, but they
don't have to be near the edge. You need protective outcroppings where
the fish can hide.

I accomplish this by having vertical walls where the water depth is a
minimum of 24". Then the marginal plants are planted on submerged
greenhouse benches that are covered with pots and baskets. The fish and
resident snake can hide under the benches. The oxygenators, submerged
plants and water lilies are no problem.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 18-05-2004, 04:10 PM

my ponds have bird netting doesnt require lifting at all. it is not obtrusive to
look thru the net at my fish. I can also lift the netting easily (it is just hooked
over screw on the edge if I want to pet the fish or pick stuff out of the pond or
clean the lilies.
I have lilies in the pond, any low growing plants do fine under the netting. I have
the tall stuff in my veggie filters which are only netted until the plants get tall
enough and stop birds from bathing in the water.
http://puregold.aquaria.net/mypond/changes/changes.htm
the netting is on the pond in all the pictures.
http://puregold.aquaria.net/mypond/2003/8-2003B.htm
Ingrid

k conover wrote:

No response :-(
Maybe it's a stupid question--you either have netting or plants in the
pond, but not both?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 18-05-2004, 04:12 PM

herons dont need a ledge, they can fly right into a pond and eat while floating and
swimming around.
herons have evolved for millions of years to be patient until the fish come back out
to eat after running for cover.

A well designed pond can easily have both plants and fish and no
netting. The sides must be vertical so the herons can't stand on the
side and eat fish.

The fish and
resident snake can hide under the benches.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 19-05-2004, 12:14 AM
Sean Dinh

My plants are in the pond. The cattails are 4' above waterline, 3' above the pond's
edge. The ficus is 1' above. I have hummingbirds, sparrows, and song birds flying around
the garden. I don't want to catch any of them. You don't have a problem with birds?

Old 19-05-2004, 12:20 AM

no, the net keeps the birds out of the pond. none have gotten caught. it is
stretched taught. but the birds are all over our backyard since the woman next door
has a bird bath and seed feeders. Ingrid

wrote:

my ponds have bird netting doesnt require lifting at all. it is not obtrusive to
look thru the net at my fish. I can also lift the netting easily (it is just hooked
over screw on the edge if I want to pet the fish or pick stuff out of the pond or
clean the lilies.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 19-05-2004, 12:23 AM
jammer

You have a ficus in your pond?????

Old 19-05-2004, 01:06 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Mon, 17 May 2004 22:34:09 -0400, "k conover" wrote:

No response :-(
Maybe it's a stupid question--you either have netting or plants in the
pond, but not both?

If you have trouble with King Fishers you'll have to make a support to hang
the netting high so it won't get tangled in the plants. Herons and raccoons
only, maybe a fence of netting on the edge with no top netting? Either or,
I'm still a believer in the Scarecrow:
http://www.km01.com/gardeninghome.html Works for me. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 19-05-2004, 08:03 AM
Sean Dinh

Yes, I'm messing with one. It has been 2 weeks since I put it in. It
still stay the same, neither dying nor growing. I'm not sure if I have
the right Ficus that could grow in water.

My uncle got a 2' ficus from Home Depot. He cut off most of the root
ball, leaving 1" of roots. He suspended it in his pond. I seems to be
surviving. The Koi ate all new roots.

http://la.znet.com/~seannydinh/index.html

click on water plants, then ficus.

jammer wrote:

You have a ficus in your pond?????

Old 19-05-2004, 06:11 PM
k conover

What material are the greenhouse benches made out of? Another thing I'm
considering that someone on this newsgroup had done is "walling off" one
edge of the pond with bricks or stone and putting most of tall plants in
that area--I won't have to net that section since the fish will be on the
other side...only problem I've run into is finding a real type of brick that
doesn't contain lime (all the "brick" and stone carried at Home Depot
contains
materials that will leach lime into the water--according to the
manufacturers who told me not to use them in my pond)

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote in message
news

Old 20-05-2004, 05:19 PM

cedar or redwood for benches.
buy a brick, put that into a gallon of your water and see if the pH rises. if water
is not flowing (? do you want to make a veggie filter? then line it with pond liner)
then calcium wont leach into the pond in significant amounts. Ingrid

"k conover" wrote:
What material are the greenhouse benches made out of? Another thing I'm
considering that someone on this newsgroup had done is "walling off" one
edge of the pond with bricks or stone and putting most of tall plants in
that area--I won't have to net that section since the fish will be on the
other side...only problem I've run into is finding a real type of brick that
doesn't contain lime (all the "brick" and stone carried at Home Depot
contains
materials that will leach lime into the water--according to the
manufacturers who told me not to use them in my pond)

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 21-05-2004, 06:03 AM
jammer

Wow. I had no idea. Good luck with yours.

On Tue, 18 May 2004 23:07:31 -0700, Sean Dinh
wrote:

Yes, I'm messing with one. It has been 2 weeks since I put it in. It
still stay the same, neither dying nor growing. I'm not sure if I

have
the right Ficus that could grow in water.

My uncle got a 2' ficus from Home Depot. He cut off most of the root
ball, leaving 1" of roots. He suspended it in his pond. I seems to be
surviving. The Koi ate all new roots.

http://la.znet.com/~seannydinh/index.html

click on water plants, then ficus.

jammer wrote:

You have a ficus in your pond?????

What goes around, comes around... Ophelia[_9_] United Kingdom 50 28-08-2014 05:18 PM
Packaged netting mike Ponds 1 30-08-2005 07:47 PM
netting over strawberries etc The Reid United Kingdom 3 23-04-2003 09:11 PM
Packaged netting keep birds away mike Orchids 0 10-03-2003 09:20 PM
Packaged Plastic netting Web Site mark Edible Gardening 0 28-02-2003 11:39 PM