Old 23-05-2004, 07:34 AM
daryl wilde

Default Looking at building a pond but....

The cost of the skimmer and filter box are expensive ~$500 or more. Has
anyone seen plans to build one? Any special concerns??

Thinking of using either external quality (CDX) or marine grade plywood and
then covering with liner......comments. Expect the pond to be 6 ft x 8 ft
or so and 18-24in deep.

Thanks Daryl

Old 23-05-2004, 07:38 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Make your pond bigger! At least deeper in more parts of it!

For my first pond I did what you are proposing and in a few months it was
all tore out and redone!1

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 23-05-2004, 07:41 AM
Gail Futoran

Depends on what he wants the pond for. My
largest pond is smaller than the size Daryl's
proposing and it does just fine for me. I only stock
minnows, snails, and whatever else shows up
(toads, frogs, snakes, etc.). No filtration, no
aeration, just lots of plants, water stays clear, and
I don't have to spend most of my life fussing with it!
[The rose garden has me on a really short leash.]

So Daryl - where do you live? If in the far north,
your pond's going to freeze solid in the winter,
hence a deeper pond is advisable. I'm in
Southcentral TX and at worst have a thin sheet of
ice over above-ground ponds, but not yet the
in-ground pond (it's only 2 years old, though).

What do you plan to put in your pond? Goldfish,
koi (pond will need to be much bigger), minnows,
no fish? Will there be shade? Plants?

As long as you use a good liner, the material
it's covering shouldn't make a difference. But
don't stint on the liner.

Gail

Old 23-05-2004, 07:42 AM
RichToyBox

Making the skimmer box is not a problem, and the use of the marine plywood
would probably work well. The problem is that you want a weir that is
floating or spring loaded so that it is pushed over by the water trying to
get into the box, making a very thin layer of water be skimmed. As the
water level in the pond fluctuates, the weir needs to be able to move with
the water level. A thick layer of water entering the skimmer will not
produce the desired skimming action.
--
RichToyBox

Old 23-05-2004, 07:42 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Hi Daryl,

Are you planning an above ground pond? It will not respond well to plywood.
If in-ground, try old rugs for liners. Lots easier on the liner. If above
ground, 24" is a LOT for plywood.

We do not bother with a skimmer and use 55 gal barrels (buried in a berm,
cf. website) and kiddie pools for filters. CHEAP. You too can make cheap
filters!

I concur with those who suggest that bigger is better. More room more fun.
Still, available space and purpose are relevant. What has guided your size?

Have fun.

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 23-05-2004, 07:44 AM
Pond Diver

Awesome pond/deck. I love it! I just enrolled in school (again...) So I'll
have to wait for "phase two" of my pond/patio combination. Can't wait
though, your site has given me some great ideas.

In the mean time I'll be piddling in my puddle...

.. .

Old 23-05-2004, 07:49 AM
Just Me \Koi\

excellent and more complete response! I have Koi in my brain so I think
everyone else will keep Koi!

--
_______________________________________

Old 23-05-2004, 01:06 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Thanks, Diver.

Thank you. We enjoy the pond and deck a lot. The charis are where we often
have a cup of coffee or tea. Very relaxing. I am a professor and we have a
wireless lan, sooooo....I 'work' by the pond...

Old 23-05-2004, 06:04 PM
daryl wilde

We are located in Texas too - right outside of Austin so freezing water is
not too big a concern maybe once every 5-10 years. This is why I am going
to have a deep part ~24 ins or so....

The area I am wanting to use is off the back patio and is partially covered
by a Oak tree- yes I know not the best spot for a pond, and I am concerned
with this but this is where we want it so we can be close and enjoy. This is
why I am looking for skimmer and waterfall box plans - $400 is just too much
mula.

Would like to put some plants and small goldfish or koi so there is some
movement and interest...

Daryl

Old 24-05-2004, 01:07 AM
Sean Dinh

You could build the pond now, and then retrofit a skimmer later. It's not
mandatory like aerator/filter.

Old 24-05-2004, 03:03 AM
Gail Futoran

Check out:
http://www.austinpondsociety.org/aps.htm
You have a great local resource.

Water Garden Gems is just northeast of San
Antonio (and a few miles from my house), so
only about an hour from the southside of
Austin:
http://www.watergardengems.com/

"daryl wilde" wrote in message
We are located in Texas too - right outside of Austin so

freezing water is
not too big a concern maybe once every 5-10 years. This

is why I am going
to have a deep part ~24 ins or so....

The area I am wanting to use is off the back patio and is

partially covered
by a Oak tree- yes I know not the best spot for a pond,

and I am concerned
with this but this is where we want it so we can be close

and enjoy.

There are things you can do to catch leaves, like
netting. I don't do that but others do and can
help with information.

This is
why I am looking for skimmer and waterfall box plans -

$400 is just too much
mula.

Would like to put some plants and small goldfish or koi so

there is some
movement and interest...

Goldfish and shubunkin are wonderful pond
fish and while they can get large, not nearly
as large as koi. Not to mention not nearly
as expensive...

The usual space recommendation for koi is
1000 gallons for the first koi, 200 gallons for
each additional fish. Goldfish, by contrast,
require about 20 gallons each.

With the size pond you're planning, I'd
recommend one hardy water lily, and then
a variety of common oxygenators like
anacharis, hornwort, and maybe some
marginals. Lowes carries some water
garden plants, as well as the specialty stores.
(I'm sure there are some in Austin.)

You can always start small and do what a lot of
other people do and expand later. Just Me "Koi"
is absolutely right about that. If I were
younger I'd already have moved up to a much
larger pond, but I have all I can handle now!

Gail

Old 24-05-2004, 03:04 AM
Gail Futoran

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
excellent and more complete response! I have Koi in my

brain so I think
everyone else will keep Koi!

Yeah, but your warning was a good one!
A lot of people do upgrade before the first
pond has barely settled in. I would have upgraded
to a larger pond by now but have enough to keep
up with in the garden, so I'm content with my
mini-ponds.

Gail

Old 26-05-2004, 01:09 AM
daryl wilde

Thanks for the pointers.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Daryl

Old 26-05-2004, 01:10 AM
daryl wilde

Due to how it is being placed in the yard it is better to accomidate it now.

daryl wilde wrote:

The area I am wanting to use is off the back patio and is partially

covered
by a Oak tree- yes I know not the best spot for a pond, and I am

concerned
with this but this is where we want it so we can be close and enjoy.

This is
why I am looking for skimmer and waterfall box plans - $400 is just too

much
mula.

Attaching hosepipe guide to a building corner - but temporarily Lobster United Kingdom 14 28-05-2009 12:46 PM
Pond is looking good but! Rick Ponds 7 28-07-2004 11:04 AM
Pond is Looking Good But!!! Rick Ponds (alternative) 4 23-07-2004 02:02 AM
Looking at building a pond but.... daryl wilde Ponds (alternative) 2 26-05-2004 11:07 AM
Looking at building a pond but.... daryl wilde Ponds 0 23-05-2004 07:34 AM