Old 23-05-2004, 07:37 AM
Booser

Default Snapping Turtles

I have a bunch of snapping turtles in my pond (I've caught two distinct
ones already). I caught a catfish in my pond the other day and it had
part of its intestines exposed.

I would really like to get rid of them. I used to take an old milk
chug, tie two hooks about a foot from each other on to it, catch a creek
chub or a small blue gill, cut it in half, put the ends on each hook,
and throw it in the water. Unfortunately, due to recent flooding, creek
chubs have been hard to come by. What else would work good in
attracting snapping turtles so that they can be "humanely" disposed of.
It can't be something that falls off the took too easily or be slowly
picked at by small fish.
Old 23-05-2004, 07:38 AM
GrannyGrump

chubs have been hard to come by. What else would work good in
attracting snapping turtles so that they can be "humanely" disposed of.
It can't be something that falls off the took too easily or be slowly
picked at by small fish.

Chicken livers...the more rotten the better.

Old 23-05-2004, 08:12 AM
Rasputin

"Booser" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I have a bunch of snapping turtles in my pond (I've caught two distinct
ones already). I caught a catfish in my pond the other day and it had
part of its intestines exposed.

I would really like to get rid of them. I used to take an old milk
chug, tie two hooks about a foot from each other on to it, catch a creek
chub or a small blue gill, cut it in half, put the ends on each hook,
and throw it in the water. Unfortunately, due to recent flooding, creek
chubs have been hard to come by. What else would work good in
attracting snapping turtles so that they can be "humanely" disposed of.
It can't be something that falls off the took too easily or be slowly
picked at by small fish.

Chicken liver or shrimp. You might want to wrap it in cheese cloth to cut
back on the little nibblers

Old 23-05-2004, 01:06 PM
jammer

On Sat, 22 May 2004 23:10:24 GMT, Booser
wrote:

[...]

A worm or minnow on a hook below a bright orange bobber.

Old 26-05-2004, 04:10 PM
Benign Vanilla

"GrannyGrump" wrote in message

chubs have been hard to come by. What else would work good in
attracting snapping turtles so that they can be "humanely" disposed of.
It can't be something that falls off the took too easily or be slowly
picked at by small fish.

Chicken livers...the more rotten the better.

Ask these guys...

http://tinyurl.com/2poa6

BV
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 28-05-2004, 07:08 PM
adavisus

A piece of cooked chicken as bait in a turtle trap is very reliable at
picking the turtles off one by one.

The bait attracts the turtle into the cage, the tug on the bait closes
the trap door, kerchunck, one healthy turtle, in the trap, waiting for
room service

Set out two traps, and you can dawdle from trap to trap at a leisurely
pace, collecting turtles. You might want to create an enclosure if you
collect numbers, to separate out the 'nice' turtles like painted
turtles, from the snapping turtles

Turtles are very sensitive critters, a bait of chicken in a trap when
they can here and feel there is nobody hanging is quite effective at
tempting them into a simple cage

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html