Old 15-11-2013, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default snap dragons still snapping

It was 25 degrees couple days ago, but plants are still green and 5 flowers on a couple. Tomato plants have given up the ghost, but snap dragons are still hanging tough. Is that normal?

btw, my sister showed me why they have that name. Asked 3 or 4 other relatives, and none of them knew either till she showed them.

Old 16-11-2013, 10:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/15/2013 4:19 PM, Gus Overton wrote:
It was 25 degrees couple days ago, but plants are still green and 5 flowers on a couple. Tomato plants have given up the ghost, but snap dragons are still hanging tough. Is that normal?

btw, my sister showed me why they have that name. Asked 3 or 4 other relatives, and none of them knew either till she showed them.

25 is pretty hot. I would have thought they would thrive on that temp.
They usually do well over 15 degrees in our garden. I find they wilt
once you reach 30 degrees or the middle of July heat.
Old 16-11-2013, 11:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hench wrote:
On 11/15/2013 4:19 PM, Gus Overton wrote:
It was 25 degrees couple days ago, but plants are still green and 5
flowers on a couple. Tomato plants have given up the ghost, but
snap dragons are still hanging tough. Is that normal? btw, my sister
showed me why they have that name. Asked 3 or 4
other relatives, and none of them knew either till she showed them.

25 is pretty hot. I would have thought they would thrive on that
temp. They usually do well over 15 degrees in our garden. I find
they wilt once you reach 30 degrees or the middle of July heat.

I wonder if you two are talking about degrees C, degrees F or one of
each.......

Old 16-11-2013, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Saturday, November 16, 2013 6:04:08 PM UTC-5, David Hare-Scott

I wonder if you two are talking about degrees C, degrees F or one of
each.......

Only use US American degrees where I live.

Old 17-11-2013, 12:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

Hench wrote:
On 11/15/2013 4:19 PM, Gus Overton wrote:
It was 25 degrees couple days ago, but plants are still green and 5
flowers on a couple. Tomato plants have given up the ghost, but
snap dragons are still hanging tough. Is that normal? btw, my
sister showed me why they have that name. Asked 3 or 4
other relatives, and none of them knew either till she showed them.

25 is pretty hot. I would have thought they would thrive on that
temp. They usually do well over 15 degrees in our garden. I find
they wilt once you reach 30 degrees or the middle of July heat.

I wonder if you two are talking about degrees C, degrees F or one of
each.......

I use the Cecilius system. Maybe the OP is using the F system. I don't
know anything about that system. Is 25 in the F system hot?

I thought 25 Cecilius was good for snap dragons.

Old 17-11-2013, 12:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Saturday, November 16, 2013 4:05:03 PM UTC-8, Hench wrote:

Hench wrote:

On 11/15/2013 4:19 PM, Gus Overton wrote:

It was 25 degrees couple days ago, but plants are still green and 5

flowers on a couple. Tomato plants have given up the ghost, but

snap dragons are still hanging tough. Is that normal? btw, my

sister showed me why they have that name. Asked 3 or 4

other relatives, and none of them knew either till she showed them.

25 is pretty hot. I would have thought they would thrive on that

temp. They usually do well over 15 degrees in our garden. I find

they wilt once you reach 30 degrees or the middle of July heat.

I wonder if you two are talking about degrees C, degrees F or one of

each.......

I use the Cecilius system. Maybe the OP is using the F system. I don't

know anything about that system. Is 25 in the F system hot?

I thought 25 Cecilius was good for snap dragons.

That's how they lost Mars Climate Orbiter. One side was using English and the other was using metric. Unforgivable! Who the hell was watching the store!

http://www.space.com/news/mco_report-b_991110.html

HB

Old 17-11-2013, 01:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Hench wrote:
Hench wrote:
On 11/15/2013 4:19 PM, Gus Overton wrote:
It was 25 degrees couple days ago, but plants are still green and 5
flowers on a couple. Tomato plants have given up the ghost, but
snap dragons are still hanging tough. Is that normal? btw, my
sister showed me why they have that name. Asked 3 or 4
other relatives, and none of them knew either till she showed them.

25 is pretty hot. I would have thought they would thrive on that
temp. They usually do well over 15 degrees in our garden. I find
they wilt once you reach 30 degrees or the middle of July heat.

I wonder if you two are talking about degrees C, degrees F or one of
each.......

I use the Cecilius system. Maybe the OP is using the F system. I
don't know anything about that system. Is 25 in the F system hot?

It's below freezing which is 32 degrees F. You need to allow for those
primitives who don't know about Celcius or you are in fact typing past each
other.

I thought 25 Cecilius was good for snap dragons.

probably

Old 17-11-2013, 01:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

Gus Overton wrote:
On Saturday, November 16, 2013 6:04:08 PM UTC-5, David Hare-Scott

I wonder if you two are talking about degrees C, degrees F or one of
each.......

Only use US American degrees where I live.

There is no such scale and this is not where you live but an international
forum. It is peculiar to the USA that so many citizens think what they do
is normal, even universal, but in fact it is not so. Just as we need to
allow for differences in gardening custom ( eg, naming plants such as
pumpkins) I think being explicit about measurements is useful for good
communications.

Old 17-11-2013, 12:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Gus Overton wrote:
On Saturday, November 16, 2013 6:04:08 PM UTC-5, David Hare-Scott

I wonder if you two are talking about degrees C, degrees F or one of
each.......

Only use US American degrees where I live.

There is no such scale and this is not where you live but an
international forum. It is peculiar to the USA that so many citizens
think what they do is normal, even universal, but in fact it is not so.
Just as we need to allow for differences in gardening custom ( eg,
naming plants such as pumpkins) I think being explicit about
measurements is useful for good communications.

If the OP would have typed the letter F, then i would have realised.

Of course I run into this problem on the cooking forums too.
Old 17-11-2013, 03:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sunday, November 17, 2013 7:00:43 AM UTC-5, Hench wrote:

If the OP would have typed the letter F, then i would have realised.

I almost did, tbh, but thought it was obvious, given the time of year. Sorry. Seems like most people here are in the States or Northern Hemisphere from posts I've seen.

Old 17-11-2013, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Saturday, November 16, 2013 5:59:10 PM UTC-8, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Gus Overton wrote:

On Saturday, November 16, 2013 6:04:08 PM UTC-5, David Hare-Scott

I wonder if you two are talking about degrees C, degrees F or one of

each.......

Only use US American degrees where I live.

There is no such scale and this is not where you live but an international

forum. It is peculiar to the USA that so many citizens think what they do

is normal, even universal, but in fact it is not so. Just as we need to

allow for differences in gardening custom ( eg, naming plants such as

pumpkins) I think being explicit about measurements is useful for good

communications.

Many years ago the US made a half-assed attempt to join the metric world. Road signs were po$ted with mile$ and kilometer$. Of course people took the easy way out and the experiment faded away.

OZ did the right thing; went cold turkey overnight. The adults seem to have managed to survive with metric, and the kids never knew anything else.

I have always understood that the US pays a trade penalty with the rest of the (metric) world for labeling in English.

Maybe this has been remedied. Anybody know?

HB

HB

Old 17-11-2013, 04:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" writes:

Hench wrote:
Hench wrote:
[...]

If you type into Google:

25c in f

Google returns 77F.

Seemed pretty obvious to me that 25F would be no good for any plant.

Pretty sure I learned about squeezing a snap dragon to make it open
and close before age 10.

That's 10 years.

--
Dan Espen
Old 17-11-2013, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sunday, November 17, 2013 11:21:10 AM UTC-5, Higgs Boson wrote:

Many years ago the US made a half-assed attempt to join the metric world. Road signs were po$ted with mile$ and kilometer$. Of course people took the easy way out and the experiment faded away.

OZ did the right thing; went cold turkey overnight. The adults seem to have managed to survive with metric, and the kids never knew anything else.

I have always understood that the US pays a trade penalty with the rest of the (metric) world for labeling in English.

Maybe this has been remedied. Anybody know?
HB

mechanics have to have two sets of tools. I remember the metric road signs, but don't remember seeing one in years... Oddly, 10K races are popular in the US.

Old 17-11-2013, 05:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sunday, November 17, 2013 11:41:59 AM UTC-5, mlcwa wrote:

Pretty sure I learned about squeezing a snap dragon to make it open
and close before age 10.

That's 10 years.

Fahrenheit or Celsius? And is that Earth years? Usenet gets to other planets, doesn't it?

Old 17-11-2013, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Gus Overton writes:

On Sunday, November 17, 2013 11:41:59 AM UTC-5, mlcwa wrote:

Pretty sure I learned about squeezing a snap dragon to make it open
and close before age 10.

That's 10 years.

... And is that Earth years? Usenet gets to other
planets, doesn't it?

Usenet may get there, but it doesn't come back.
Even if it seems like it does at times.

--
Dan Espen