Old 28-05-2004, 02:13 AM
Go Fig

Default Still green...

In article , dkat
wrote:

Where to you get the water hyacinths to start in your hot house (feeling
envious of someone having WH in April...)?

They never really die off where I am, but I collecting them, trim them
way down and then under glass in Feb.. they are ready to go out as soon
as the water stays above 60. This year I saw my first flowers 2 weeks
ago... but they don't really look great until June.

jay
Thu May 27, 2004

Old 28-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Andrew Burgess

IMHO, Oxygen is the key element to make all these things happen.
Low DOC (Dissolved Oxygen Content) and things start breaking down.

DOC stands for Dissolved Organic Carbon, the pollutants removed by
foam fractionation. See http://pearl.spatial.maine.edu/glossary/misc/doc.htm

I used to (until 10 seconds ago) think it stood for Dissolved
Organic Compounds until I googled to prevent foot-in-mouth...

A google for "doc dissolved oxygen" reveals that DO stands for Dissolved
Oxygen.

I still think that "Organic Carbon" is redundant

Pedantic nit of the day, brought to you by Andy.

Old 28-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Destroyallx

http://www.thehvscene.com/pond/ - NEW PICS AGAIN - 5/28
thank you all for being so helpful!
i just returned from vacation to see that my pond..in which started to
clear up, got a little worse.
i think im going to rely on time...
hopefully with the new lillies i added, putting the water lettuce back into
the pond instead of the veggie fiter, putting the WH in the stream of the
water fall, maybe this will help things over a period of time.
again, today i took more picutres of my pond for everyone to look at and
maybe shoot over some tips (THANX SO MUCH).
take a look:
http://www.thehvscene.com/pond/

oh and.. it looks like the green color is fading, but the brownish murky
color seems to be more visable....
John

"volts500" wrote in message

"Destroyallx" wrote in message
.. .
http://www.thehvscene.com/pond/

check that out.. i post new pictures of my more than once a week on

here..
im making a diary basically of the progression of my pond.
its been a few weeks and my water is still green/murky.. it just wont go
away.. maybe a veggie filter and everything. i just bough more potted
lillies so im waiting for them to come up. and i have a bunch of lillies
that bloomed already.
what can i do about this water clarity... im guessing its time

Nice pond. IMHO, it's all about oxygen. The bacteria that help reduce

the
nutrient load need lots of oxygen. Get some serious water
flow/circulation/gas exchange going on. In your case, a submersible
pump/fountain in the middle of the pond may work. Otherwise it looks like
it wouldn't be real difficult to add a (much larger) homemade

bio/mechanical
filter with spray bar at the top of the waterfall and hide it with more
rocks/plants. A larger pump/tubing may be in order if you do that,

though.