Old 26-05-2004, 02:09 AM
Destroyallx

Default Still green...

http://www.thehvscene.com/pond/

check that out.. i post new pictures of my more than once a week on here..
im making a diary basically of the progression of my pond.
its been a few weeks and my water is still green/murky.. it just wont go
away.. maybe a veggie filter and everything. i just bough more potted
lillies so im waiting for them to come up. and i have a bunch of lillies
that bloomed already.
what can i do about this water clarity... im guessing its time

Old 26-05-2004, 02:12 AM
Ka30P

Destroyallx wrote maybe a veggie filter

That would certainly help. But remember the last of the algae tips ~ patience
and time ;-)

kathy :-)
Old 26-05-2004, 03:03 AM
Go Fig

In article , Destroyallx
wrote:

http://www.thehvscene.com/pond/

check that out.. i post new pictures of my more than once a week on here..
im making a diary basically of the progression of my pond.
its been a few weeks and my water is still green/murky.. it just wont go
away.. maybe a veggie filter and everything. i just bough more potted
lillies so im waiting for them to come up. and i have a bunch of lillies
that bloomed already.
what can i do about this water clarity... im guessing its time

Or a UV filter and enjoy clear water in 2 or 3 days.

jay
Tue May 25, 2004

Old 26-05-2004, 07:03 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

It isn't easy being green!

Kermit

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

.. .

Old 26-05-2004, 02:09 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Ka30P" wrote in message
Destroyallx wrote maybe a veggie filter

That would certainly help. But remember the last of the algae tips ~

patience
and time ;-)

Uh not to be nit picky, but I think that is now officially the second to
last tip, with beer being the actual last tip.

BV.

Old 26-05-2004, 04:09 PM
dkat

It appears that you have an upper pond where you have some small water
lettuce (not a plant I would choose for filtering). Use water hyacinths in
there and it will do a remarkable job of filtering your water. From what I
can tell you have bare soil that is at a higher level than your pond. As
soon as this fills in with plants you will stop getting the erosion that is
making the pond somewhat muddy. If you can put in some landscape fabric and
rocks that should help (or how about planting some irises or ornamental
grasses there?). Do you fertilize your lawn? If so, keep it and other
chemicals far away from the pond where there is any chance of run off into
the pond (so the ground the slopes away from the pond should be ok as long
as you are a couple of feet away but ground that slopes towards the pond has
to be treated with real care.

It is a very pretty pond. Congratulations!

Old 26-05-2004, 05:19 PM
Jeff Spicoli

"Destroyallx" wrote in
:

http://www.thehvscene.com/pond/

check that out.. i post new pictures of my more than once a week on
here.. im making a diary basically of the progression of my pond.
its been a few weeks and my water is still green/murky.. it just wont
go away.. maybe a veggie filter and everything. i just bough more
potted lillies so im waiting for them to come up. and i have a bunch of
lillies that bloomed already.
what can i do about this water clarity... im guessing its time

UV...

I went a whole spring and much of summer with the same water and listening
to others advice about more plants, good bacteria, biological filter, blah,
blah, blah, and to just be patient and don't bother with a UV..

Well, I got tired of being patient, bought a UV and within a week or so,
crystal clear water... It has been crystal clear ever since...

If you are like me and don't care immensely about the NATURAL process of
clarity and just want a clear pond w/ healthy fish and plants; don't rule
out buying a UV...

I enjoy my pond much more seeing the colors in my fish down to the anacharis
coming out of my gravel bottom.

--
B. Swanky - Boutique Giftware with Flair!
Specializes in clothing and gifts for infant, baby and toddler. We also

Old 26-05-2004, 08:04 PM
dkat

If you take a look at the pictures, you will see that it is more than just
an issue of algae. The hyacinths not only take the nutrients out of the
water that keeps algae growing, they filter out the soil particles. They
are also almost maintenance free where a filter takes a lot of time and
effort especially under conditions where you have soil eroding into the pond
(note I say filter because even with a UV you then have to have some sort of
filtering if you go your route). UV lights are expensive and unnecessary in
my book but whatever tweaks your fancy.

"Jeff Spicoli" wrote in message
45...
"Destroyallx" wrote in
:

Old 26-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Go Fig

In article , dkat
wrote:

If you take a look at the pictures, you will see that it is more than just
an issue of algae. The hyacinths not only take the nutrients out of the
water that keeps algae growing, they filter out the soil particles. They
are also almost maintenance free where a filter takes a lot of time and
effort especially under conditions where you have soil eroding into the pond
(note I say filter because even with a UV you then have to have some sort of
filtering if you go your route). UV lights are expensive and unnecessary in
my book but whatever tweaks your fancy.

How much personal experience do you have with them?

jay
Wed May 26, 2004

Old 26-05-2004, 09:13 PM
volts500

"Destroyallx" wrote in message
.. .
http://www.thehvscene.com/pond/

check that out.. i post new pictures of my more than once a week on here..
im making a diary basically of the progression of my pond.
its been a few weeks and my water is still green/murky.. it just wont go
away.. maybe a veggie filter and everything. i just bough more potted
lillies so im waiting for them to come up. and i have a bunch of lillies
that bloomed already.
what can i do about this water clarity... im guessing its time

Nice pond. IMHO, it's all about oxygen. The bacteria that help reduce the
nutrient load need lots of oxygen. Get some serious water
flow/circulation/gas exchange going on. In your case, a submersible
pump/fountain in the middle of the pond may work. Otherwise it looks like
it wouldn't be real difficult to add a (much larger) homemade bio/mechanical
filter with spray bar at the top of the waterfall and hide it with more
rocks/plants. A larger pump/tubing may be in order if you do that, though.

Old 27-05-2004, 12:11 AM
dkat

UV's - none. I don't use them for a reason though I have a friend who had a
very small pond who used one and had crystal clear water. Her pond however
was in a deck (no silt runoff into the pond), was very shaded (that in
itself will keep the algae down) and was extremely small (maybe 3X3x1.5).
I'm not against UV, I just said that this pond has silt eroding into it and
needs more than a simple UV fix. I like my almost 'natural' way of doing
things but that is what tickles my 'fancy'. I'm also extremely lazy,
overworked, underpaid, 5'2", 55 yrs, out of shape, etc... I don't have the
time, energy, muscle or patience to do what a lot of ponders here do. My
setup is extremely simple, relatively small (about 1000 gals at most) and
crystal clear most of the time with very, very, little work involved (I
throw food at the fish, add water when needed, watch the cats make fools of
themselves lusting after the fish). My biggest concern is my three
butterfly koi and my albino cat getting too big for the pond and not knowing
what to do other than build a bigger pond

--
***************************************
Listen to Air America Radio

Old 27-05-2004, 01:07 AM
joe

Give into the dark side. You know you want to.

Joe

Old 27-05-2004, 03:08 AM
Go Fig

In article , dkat
wrote:

UV's - none. I don't use them for a reason though I have a friend who had a
very small pond who used one and had crystal clear water. Her pond however
was in a deck (no silt runoff into the pond), was very shaded (that in
itself will keep the algae down) and was extremely small (maybe 3X3x1.5).
I'm not against UV, I just said that this pond has silt eroding into it and
needs more than a simple UV fix.

I agree the pond edge needs to be raised, but more for chemicals that
may be applied to that beautiful lawn and then commingle with the pond
water in heavy rain. I just don't think that that little soil border
is causing that much silt and I doubt much gets past the lawn.

This pic appears to be classic suspended algae:

http://www.thehvscene.com/pond/DSC02147.JPG

I like my almost 'natural' way of doing
things but that is what tickles my 'fancy'.

Lets be fair: you have a pump ? A mechanical filter (maybe) ? Would you
use meds ? How bout potash for all those water hyacinths of yours? Ever
drain your pond for a good cleaning ?

For years here, some posters here have singled out UVs for this
'natural' argument, I don't get it... what could be more unnatural than
an electric water pump ??? UV is a natural occurring action on all
ponds, natural or ornamental.

I'll start my campaign for venturi ozone at some point in the future :-)

jay
Wed May 26, 2004

Old 27-05-2004, 05:03 AM
dkat

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , dkat
wrote:

[...]

Look at the leaves of the waterlily and the horizonal sides of the liner.
Both have a layer of silt. The silt will also add nutrients that make the
algae flourish. Other pictures looked much more 'muddied' from silt than
algae but I agree on the picture you are showing it looks like spring algae
growth that I get before the hyacinth has been put into my upper pond and
taken over. If they use UV, I assume they will have to filter before the
UV. Is that the case? That is where in there current system would they put
the UV?

I like my almost 'natural' way of doing
things but that is what tickles my 'fancy'.

Lets be fair: you have a pump ? A mechanical filter (maybe) ? Would you
use meds ? How bout potash for all those water hyacinths of yours? Ever
drain your pond for a good cleaning ?

This is why I said "almost 'natural'"

I have a pump to move the water up to the veggie filter. The pump
(waterfall pump that takes large particles) sits in a bucket with lava rocks
to serve as a bio filter. I don't clean out the pond (though when wading
through it to move rocks or plants I will scoop out leaves if they are under
foot and feel slippery... I don't use meds or potash. I did try dunking my
hyacinths in Miracle grow when I first started my pond thinking 'what could
it hurt'... killed them dead. As I said, I'm lazy - really, really lazy.
And now that I think of it I'm also cheap - really, really cheap. And again
I don't have anything negative to say about UVs. I simply posted what
works for me and is inexpensive and easy. Many far more competent people
here use UV as well as incredibly impressive filters, piping, drain systems,
etc.

And what is venturi ozone?

Old 27-05-2004, 05:05 AM
Go Fig

In article , dkat
wrote:

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , dkat
wrote:

[...]

The less turbid the water is the more efficient, so after any
mechanical filtration is better. As for the OP situation, I don't have
enough details from those pics.

I like my almost 'natural' way of doing
things but that is what tickles my 'fancy'.

Lets be fair: you have a pump ? A mechanical filter (maybe) ? Would you
use meds ? How bout potash for all those water hyacinths of yours? Ever
drain your pond for a good cleaning ?

This is why I said "almost 'natural'"

I have a pump to move the water up to the veggie filter. The pump
(waterfall pump that takes large particles) sits in a bucket with lava rocks
to serve as a bio filter. I don't clean out the pond (though when wading
through it to move rocks or plants I will scoop out leaves if they are under
foot and feel slippery... I don't use meds or potash.

So you let natural selection work its magic... herons, raccoons ?

I did try dunking my
hyacinths in Miracle grow when I first started my pond thinking 'what could
it hurt'... killed them dead. As I said, I'm lazy - really, really lazy.
And now that I think of it I'm also cheap - really, really cheap. And again
I don't have anything negative to say about UVs. I simply posted what
works for me and is inexpensive and easy. Many far more competent people
here use UV as well as incredibly impressive filters, piping, drain systems,
etc.

And what is venturi ozone?

Straight ozone injected from a venturi fitting. Great for organic
detritus.

jay
Wed May 26, 2004