Old 27-05-2004, 11:02 PM
Registered User

Wink Nexus or bead filter

Hi Guys,

Need some advice, I'm upgrading my multi bay filter but cannot decide on a Nexus or a bead filter.

I need advice on which one is best. I have heard positive reports on both, but they do cost an arm and a leg so I want to get this right before I invest.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Blade
Old 28-05-2004, 03:08 AM
RichToyBox

Default Nexus or bead filter

I have bead filters. They are older than the Nexus system and I am quite
pleased with them. I think the bead filter is an excellent mechanical
filter removing fine debris in addition to being a good bio filter. The
Nexus appears to be a great biofilter, but I don't think it has the
mechanical filtration capability of the bead filter. On the other hand, it
has a very high oxygen environment that is far superior to the bead filter.
What you need is one of each.
--
RichToyBox
s.com...

Old 29-05-2004, 02:07 AM
RichToyBox

On the 4000 galloon pond I have two bead filters. The first was a 2 cubic
foot bubblebead. Last year I added a 6 cubic foot Advantage from Sacramento
Koi. This year I have gotten a 4 cubic foot Aquadyne for the 2500 gallon
pond but haven't gotten the vortex so it has not been plumbed in yet.
--
RichToyBox

Old 30-05-2004, 03:05 AM
RichToyBox

I think that the Advantage and the Aquadyne are so similar that they should
be considered the same. Both have blowers to help clean the beads and blow
the dirty water out as part of the backwash. This conserves a lot of water.
A pure water backwash on those types of filters is not very effective. For
the bubblebead, I put a bypass pipe in that allows me to run water backward
through it during backwash and this helps to clean it. It is designed for
air backwash and some people have taken old vacuum cleaners and put them in
the blow position and used that to clean the beads.

The Aquadyne gets all the talk, but I think the difference is very small. I
just had a better price for the Advantage. My pond lady sells hers for
list, but it comes installed with all the plumbing.
--
RichToyBox
But which do you recommend?

Old 30-05-2004, 10:03 AM
Rodney Pont

On Thu, 27 May 2004 21:56:06 GMT, blade wrote:

Need some advice, I'm upgrading my multi bay filter but cannot decide
on a Nexus or a bead filter.

I need advice on which one is best. I have heard positive reports on
both, but they do cost an arm and a leg so I want to get this right
before I invest.

I'm assuming the Nexus you are referring to uses an Answer and is not
the one with a filter sponge.

The waste in the pond isn't really solid like grit is and it can
squeeze through holes smaller than it. The Answer is a single layer and
I would expect more waste to squeeze through than with a bead filter
which is effectively multiple layers. It all depends on whether the
spraybar on the Answer comes around before the waste can squeeze
through I suppose.

I've been playing around with a home made self cleaning filter similar
to the Answer using 100 micron stainless steel mesh as the filter media
with the spraybar driven by a spare 3000l/hour pump. Unfortunately I've
only put it around a 100mm pipe which doesn't give me anywhere near the
surface area of the Answer and with the string algae dying off now it
does get clogged. Version 2 will use a much larger pipe when I can find
something made from a plastic I can solvent weld :-)

I've got some Kaldness media in the old filter tank and the water from
the mechanical filter jets this around. The jet is above the surface so
takes some air down which bubbles back up through the media. It really
is an effective bio filter and RichToyBox is right in saying have both.
If you have the space, and money, have a bead filter (with air blower
backflush) feeding a Nexus with the foam filter (you can remove the
foam filter if you want).

I honestly don't think there will be much difference between a bead
filter and a Nexus with an Answer providing you don't exceed the flow
rate. It might be a lot cheaper to put some Kaldness media in your
existing setup and feed it from a bead filter but I've only looked at
the smaller Aquadyne bead filters. Don't forget that with a Nexus you
also need a large air pump.

I think the maintenance of the Nexus system is also a bit more involved
than just backwashing a bead filter since you have to clean the screen
occasionally, it's not just a case of turning a few taps.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont