Old 30-05-2004, 04:05 PM
The~Doofie~Man©

Default Algae Question.

I noticed yesterday that the pond is starting to get green "fuzzy" algae all
over everything. The liner, rocks, the pebbles on the plant ledge you name
it. I have plants and a mechanical filter as well. Should I get more plants
or a UV filter as well?
Is this "good" algae or the start of the bad algae?
I don't think the 4 little goldfish I have are the root of the problem. I
feel I have enough plants but the more the merrier. I firmly believe the
root of the problem is too much sunlight. The pond gets sunlight ALL day, I
have water cover both live & artificial. I guess not enough.
All help is greatly appreciated in advance people.

Oh before I forget. With a veggie filter do the plants get buried in the
soil mix on top of the pebble base in baskets? I can make a "stream" and
then have a bunch of plants at the edge of the one end just before it falls
into the pond. And if so is a slower water flow better for a veggie filter?
--
The~Doofie~Man ©
"LET ME SEE YOUR CIGARETTE LIGHTERS!!!!!"

Old 30-05-2004, 05:05 PM
Nedra

Congratulate yourself! You have fuzzy sweater algae... the good kind.

As for the veggie filter - I would keep all soil out of the VF. Pebbles for
planting is more than enough. I have Iris in Big mesh planters with 1"
gravel
inside to hold them up. Nothing else but water.

Nedra

Old 30-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Ka30P

As Nedra said, green fuzzy sweater algae, or substrate algae, is very good for
the pond and the pond's critters. It helps filter the water and provides the
fish with nutrition (the algae itself and all the tiny critters who live in
it).

Oh before I forget. With a veggie filter do the plants get buried in the

soil mix on top of the pebble base in baskets? I can make a "stream" and
then have a bunch of plants at the edge of the one end just before it falls
into the pond. And if so is a slower water flow better for a veggie filter?

The idea is to provide as much of the water flow to the plant roots as possible
so apart from some rocks, pebbles, etc to keep the plants upright you want the
roots exposed. Slower water flow is better than too fast.

kathy :-)
Old 30-05-2004, 06:07 PM

green fuzzy is good algae.
sunlight is good unless the pond temp goes over 80oF
in a veggie filter it is best to root plants directly into the water stream and the
roots often remove particles. no pots, no pebbles .. well unless you need some rocks
to hold the plants. speed of water movement doesnt seem to matter altho my pump isnt
that big either. a veggie filter is "sized" to the amount of water in the pond and
the number of fish. my veggie filter is 14' long, 10" deep (the water) holds about
90 gallons, a total of about 1400 gallons in the pond, 22 small to medium koi. the
plants I use grow up (water celery and cyperus) so I dont need to plant the entire
filter with the filtering plants, altho by the end of the year the roots from those
plants I put in extend all the way out and under and around the potted flowering
plants I have in the filter. Ingrid

"The~Doofie~Man©" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 30-05-2004, 11:08 PM
The~Doofie~Man©

All I did was make the waterfall a little more agitating to improve oxygen
and I added a tone of oxygenating plants today.
All surface types like parrot feather (I have 4 on the bottom in planters)
And one other kind. Then I bought 4 bunches of hollywart or something named
to that ...I forget!!!
I then cleaned the mechanical filter out as well.
So that fuzzy stuff is good algae eh...sweet I'm doing something right.
I tool pics as well, should have them up by the end of the week.
Thanks for all in input!!