Old 17-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Matt Helliwell

Default Plumping is an external pump

well I've just bought myself an external pump to go with my new skimmer.
The pumps a sequence 750 from
http://www.koikit.co.uk/koikit/produ...o.asp?pid=8223

Now the pump is going to have to sit above the height of the pond and it
isn't self priming! So is the some cunning and subtle technique to
prime it and ensure it doesn't run dry?

the skimmer, if it makes any difference, is this one.
http://www.aquosis.co.uk/system/index.html

Thanks

--
Matt Helliwell
matt at helliwell d0t me d0t uk
Old 17-06-2004, 10:04 PM
tg

Matt,
I have nearly the same Sequence pump. I have priming pot on it with a flex
hose that goes into the skimmer. I then have a 90 degree elbow to redirect
into the water and then have a check valve installed and then a slotted
inlet sleeve into that. That allows for the power to go out and then restart
as I don't lose the prime on the pump. I do use some flex couplings on the
inlet side of the pump which can leak enough water out if the power is off
for a significant amount of time. There are also some water monitors that
shut off power to the pump if the water level drops below a certain level.

Good luck.

Old 18-06-2004, 05:21 AM
mike

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 20:30:03 +0100, Matt Helliwell wrote:

well I've just bought myself an external pump to go with my new skimmer.
The pumps a sequence 750 from
http://www.koikit.co.uk/koikit/produ...o.asp?pid=8223

Now the pump is going to have to sit above the height of the pond and it
isn't self priming! So is the some cunning and subtle technique to
prime it and ensure it doesn't run dry?

the skimmer, if it makes any difference, is this one.
http://www.aquosis.co.uk/system/index.html

Thanks

Go to lowe's get the brass one way check valve "swing type" Put it below
the water level, " be sure it's below water level. Pipe on up to the
pump. I also put a float switch inside the skimmer so the power will shut
off before the pump can run dry

Michael

Old 18-06-2004, 05:24 AM
RichToyBox

With or without a priming pot, you need to have a check valve to prevent the
water from running backward out of the pipe during a power outage, either
diliberate or accidental. Most people using these pumps at elevations above
the pond, use the priming pot, which is a leaf trap, and can be gotten from
a pool supply for the swimming pool pumps. Without a priming pot, you can
hook a temporary submersible pump up to the intake and pump water up through
the line to the pump. This requires getting wet, and in winter, cold.
--
RichToyBox

Old 19-06-2004, 09:02 AM
Matt Helliwell

tg wrote:
Matt,
I have nearly the same Sequence pump. I have priming pot on it with a flex
hose that goes into the skimmer.

Thanks everyone: I think I can visualise how it should all fit together
so its off to the pond shop this morning.

Old 19-06-2004, 10:05 AM
jammer

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 08:18:53 +0100, Matt Helliwell
wrote:

I have priming pot on it with a flex
hose that goes into the skimmer.

So basically your pond is one big water pipe?

(Bong)

**I am suffering from insomnia and take no responsibility
**and/or credit for the content of this post. Thank you.

External pump push/pull? gribbee Ponds 9 07-03-2004 05:47 PM
External pump push/pull? gribbee Ponds 0 06-03-2004 05:54 PM
External pump push/pull? gribbee Ponds 0 06-03-2004 05:49 PM
How do you protect your external pump from rain? DesertPond Ponds 10 04-07-2003 12:56 AM
External pump housing suggestions Don Lasko Ponds 1 12-02-2003 11:25 AM