Old 18-06-2004, 08:09 PM
joe

Default No geek here

On 6/18/04 9:37 AM, "Newbie Bill" wrote:

I notice every message in this thread (as best as I can interpret) comes
from a different news server. Does that mean that each server has all this
info, my server just houses my info and each post is essentially a link to
their respective news server, is there a 'mothership' that my server is
accessing and downloading as 'requested', etc. I know(I think) that a
website is essentially on A computer (or server) and everyone is accessing
it. If that is the case with usenet does my server pay a 'subscription' or
download fee. After about 6 years I am still fascinated by the whole thing -
the way the net connects us all almost as if we were neighbors. In fact I
have neighbors just 3 houses away that I still dont know (after 7 months)
but I 'know' people in PA because of the net and our common interest. Darn
right amazin.
Bill
" George" wrote in message

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message
m...
As Calumbo sez "just one more thing sir". Who or what pays
for/houses/supports/posts/etc usenet? Somewhere there is a pretty good
little chuck of hard drive to house 7+ years of threads and the search
engine. Does it ever go down? And this is just one of thousands.
Bill

You and I pay for it. Yes there is. Yes is does. Yes it is.

You might be interested in this:
http://www.usenet.com/

Joe

Old 18-06-2004, 09:05 PM
Susan H. Simko

Do I really have to don the computer geek beanie? Really? Can't I just
go sit by the pond, feed the fish and drink a nice glass of Merlot?
(Maureen, you're welcome to share.)

Okay. *pout*

Usenet is a really big "thing" that has been around for many years,
predating the internet and the web. It originally, from my
understanding, started out as a communications medium for serious stuff
like science, research, etc. This is the reason for the prefixes such
as sci., bionet., it., etc. Over time, other things started up as us
geeks decided to branch out into other things that struck our fancy -
recreational stuff (rec.), alternative stuff (alt.) and so on and so
forth.

Data from usenet is gotten by feeds. Most systems have a usenet feed
because of it's multiple uses. It's actually not quite the whopping
space hog that email is in that it only stores one copy of each post
that everyone can go out "there" to read. Unlike email, where if I send
one email to fifty of my colleagues in the university where I work,
there will be an identical complete copy of that email stored in each of
those fifty people's mailboxes.

As to the cost, well, because it is often used for research purposes, it
can be a genuine need so the feed must be carried. There are also
people who look at it as a must have when shopping for an ISP. In
addition, it's also just part of the general cost of being part of the
world. You might as well ask why each computer on the internet also
relays mail to other nodes, playing a giant game of "pass it on". (This
can take *lots* of disk space especially if a node up the line goes down
and your forced to hold mail until the node comes back up. Think sink
with stopper closed versus open.) This is just all part of the "rules"
one agrees to when one becomes part of this world. Isn't it nice that
they do? *grin*

Yeesh. *smile* Is it time to go home yet? I'm jonesin' for a pondfix.

Susan
shsimko[@]duke[.]edu

Old 18-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Ka30P

Heather wrote Are you saving these to put in a
book?

:-)
Ponding in CyberSpace?

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 18-06-2004, 10:06 PM
Newbie Bill

Apparently you arent married. I sure as h*** cant control my wife but I
want to know everything I can about how she works.
Bill

" George" wrote in message

[...]

I suggest you spend less time thinking about things you cannot control,

then go
down the street and meet your neighbors.

Old 18-06-2004, 10:08 PM
gerry

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:34:15 GMT, "Newbie Bill"
wrote:

Just curious. I know virtually nothing about usenet. Do we have any sort
of administrator here. Our local bulletin board has a regular web address
and the web master routinely goes in and removes all spam. I know this is
different but wasnt sure if anyone had any 'big brother' powers.
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Note the status - unmoderated

gerry

{
From Tue Nov 8 23:47:50 EST 1994
Article: 47227 of rec.gardens
From:
(Janette Wallis)
Newsgroups:
news.announce.newgroups,news.groups,rec.gardens,re c.aquaria,rec.pets.herp
Subject: RFD: rec.ponds
Date: 1 Nov 1994 17:54:41 -0500

rec.gardens:47227 rec.aquaria:44085 rec.pets.herp:23519

REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION

Name: REC.PONDS
maintenance of water gardens or ponds.
Proposed by:

This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) on the creation of an
unmoderated newsgroup, rec.ponds.

PROPOSED CHARTER OF REC.PONDS

Preamble

Rec.ponds is an unmoderated newsgroup to provide a forum for the
discussion of all aspects of ponds or water gardens.

This Request For Discussion puts forth the suggested name of
"rec.ponds", after a straw poll was conducted during previous discussion
of a "rec.gardens.ponds" group. The results indicated that "rec.ponds"
was
preferred by the majority of the voters.

The Rec.ponds newsgroup will appeal to a wide range of people
involved in both the recreational and professional aspects of establishing
and maintaining a pond or water garden. We'll have novices to water
gardening as well as experts, the hobbyist as well as genuine botanists
and ichthyologists. Even students wishing to find help with science
projects may decide to read Rec.ponds. All of these people will be
welcomed to share ideas, ask questions, or simply lurk and learn.

Sphere of Interests

Rec.ponds is dedicated to the development and maintenance of
water gardens. Examples of discussion topics might include:

*Building a pond/water garden: Details will be shared regarding best
materials to use, procedures for making the pond secure, and appropriate
placement of the pond. Or, in the case of a naturally occurring pond,
what can be done to make it more "user friendly"? We'll have tips on
building a waterfall, installing a fountain, whether to use a filter,
and how to install a biological filter. Also, we may give information
on lighting and how to safely run electrical lines to the pool area.

*Establishing a perfect ecosystem:
Where else can you create your own ecosystem and watch it evolve?
We'll have discussions on water quality; ratio of plant life to animal
life;
plant/animal interactions, etc.

*Plant life:
We'll discuss which plants are best suited for our water gardens. Which
plants need a lot of sunlight, which will survive in the pond over
winter, which need to be taken indoors, etc? The Rec.ponds
newsgroup will serve as a forum for discussing plant diseases and cures,
when to divide, and how to propagate our plants. We'll also share
information on establishing an area for bog plants.

*Fish:
We'll share information on fish behavior, biology, and health. For
example: Which fish are compatible? What's the maximum number of fish
for the size of a pond? What conditions should exist in the pond so
the fish will breed? How do we protect the fry from danger and see that
they grow into healthy adults? Which diseases are likely to effect
pond fish? How much should we feed the fish, and how often?

*Amphibians and Reptiles:
We'll discuss the biology, health, and behavior of frogs, newts,
salamanders, turtles, etc. that either come naturally to the pond or are
placed there by us. Which ones get along?

* Other Environmental Concerns:
In Rec.ponds, we'll discuss how to make certain the pond is
not a safety hazard for small children or pets. How can we attract
butterflies? Should we attract snails? Also, how do we guard against
unwanted visitors (raccoons, cats, snakes, herons) that may prey on the
fish and/or plants in a pond? What about the use of fertilizers or
insecticides near the pond? Rec.ponds can be a place to
exchange information on (non-political) conservation issues.

* Miscellaneous: Students can use rec.ponds as a place for learning
more about plant and animal life in and around water. We may exchange
information regarding suppliers of equipment, literature regarding water
garden techniques, location of other electronic resources, etc.
(However, Rec.ponds is *not* intended as a forum for commercial
transactions with respect to sale of plants, fish, or pond equipment.)

* In the future, rec.ponds may develop FAQ's that address each of
the above topics.

RATIONALE

Because most water gardeners have both plant and animal life in their
pond, discussions on development and care of ponds has previously been
split between rec.gardens, rec.aquaria, and rec.pets.herp. There is no
newsgroup dedicated only to the interests of water gardeners.

CROSS POSTINGS

This RFD is being posted to news.announce.newgroups, news.groups,
rec.gardens, rec.aquaria, rec.pets.herp. All discussion will take
place in the group "news.groups."

DISCUSSION

This is the second posting of the Charter for a newsgroup for ponds. The
first posting proposed the name "rec.gardens.ponds", but with the same
charter described above. That posting occurred on 6 October 1994. The
only issue raised during the discussion period was that of the newsgroup's
name. Because the discussion grew quite heated, a Straw Poll was
conducted by Wayne Powell ). Straw Poll results were
posted on 25 October 1994. The majority of votes (50.4%) were for
"rec.ponds", with "rec.gardens.ponds" a distant 33.1%. (Please contact
Wayne for straw poll questions/details.)

This second posting of the RFD reflects the newly agreed upon name
"rec.ponds." It is being posted to news.announce.newgroups on 27 October
1994 and continued discussion regarding the contents of the proposal will
last for approximately one more week.

If no major changes are required to the proposed charter, then a Call for
Votes (CFV) will then be issued. An independent third party, from the
Usenet Volunteer Votetakers will be asked to conduct the vote.

This RFD is being posted according to the guidelines set forth in "How
to Create a New Usenet Newsgroup." Please refer to this document if
you have questions about the newsgroup creation process.

To pass, the proposal must receive 100 more "Yes" votes than "No" votes
and at least two thirds of the votes must be positive. Therefore, if
you have an interest in this newsgroup please make it known through
discussion on news.groups (and please remember to vote when the time
comes).
}

--

Personal home page -
http://gogood.com

Old 18-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Newbie Bill

Weeeell, I told Susan that was about as technical as I needed to know, but
that is very interesting. So it sounds like Janette Wallis and possibly
Wayne Powell are the Mother and Father of our newsgroup founded in 1994. I
am very surprised it is so formal. I guess I thought you just went to the
right place and pushed the "Post Newsgroup" button or something. Anyone
have any idea if these people are still around? How about any of the charter
members who were involved in the straw poll? Who are they petitioning to?
And to think. OU is one of the biggest rivals of UT. And apparently we owe
it all to them. All you Texans quit reading right now. Go Sooners!
Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

wrote:

Just curious. I know virtually nothing about usenet. Do we have any

sort
of administrator here. Our local bulletin board has a regular web

address
and the web master routinely goes in and removes all spam. I know this

is
different but wasnt sure if anyone had any 'big brother' powers.
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Note the status - unmoderated

gerry

{
From Tue Nov 8 23:47:50 EST 1994
Article: 47227 of rec.gardens
bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!hearst.acc.Virginia.ED U!caen!newsxfer.itd.umich.
edu!gatech!newsfeed.pitt.edu!uunet!bounce-back
From:
(Janette Wallis)
Newsgroups:
news.announce.newgroups,news.groups,rec.gardens,re c.aquaria,rec.pets.herp

Old 18-06-2004, 11:06 PM
Newbie Bill

While I am in my empty minds want to know mode, what does OT in the subject
line mean.
Thanxx
Bill

"Ka30P" wrote in message

Nope, nobody here to look after ourselves but us.
We don't get that much spam, surprisingly.
A troll once in a while, some porno here and there.
Maybe we're considered too boring to mess with ;-)

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 19-06-2004, 12:04 AM
Default User

Newbie Bill wrote:

I notice every message in this thread (as best as I can interpret) comes
from a different news server. Does that mean that each server has all this
info, my server just houses my info and each post is essentially a link to
their respective news server, is there a 'mothership' that my server is
accessing and downloading as 'requested', etc.

http://www.smr-usenet.com/tech/how.shtml

Brian Rodenborn
Old 19-06-2004, 12:05 AM
Cichlidiot

Newbie Bill wrote:
While I am in my empty minds want to know mode, what does OT in the subject
line mean.
Thanxx
Bill

OT = Off Topic

It's a courtesy tag to include in the subject line to let people know the
thread is not on the chartered topic of the newsgroup. There's other tags
too which may or may not be acceptable in a given group such as ADV for
advertisement or WTB for wanted to buy (such marketing tags are not
accepted in most fish groups except rec.aquaria.marketplace which is for
such purposes). Usually in this group, OT is the most commonly seen tag.

Old 19-06-2004, 12:06 AM
Cichlidiot

Newbie Bill wrote:
Weeeell, I told Susan that was about as technical as I needed to know, but
that is very interesting. So it sounds like Janette Wallis and possibly
Wayne Powell are the Mother and Father of our newsgroup founded in 1994. I
am very surprised it is so formal. I guess I thought you just went to the
right place and pushed the "Post Newsgroup" button or something. Anyone
have any idea if these people are still around? How about any of the charter
members who were involved in the straw poll? Who are they petitioning to?
And to think. OU is one of the biggest rivals of UT. And apparently we owe
it all to them. All you Texans quit reading right now. Go Sooners!
Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

There is a process rec.* groups have to go through before they are
accepted on major news feeds. This process involves creating a charter for
the proposed group, posting that charter in news.* for a Request for
Discussion (RFD), having a discussion (sometimes long and protracted)
about the charter, perhaps having addition RFDs with changes to the
charter based off earlier discussion and having a Call for Votes (CFV).
The results of that vote then determine if the group is approved or not.

This process can be started by anyone, but usually a group will chose one
or two people to spearhead the effort. That's not to say those are the
only people involved in the effort, just that they are the main volunteers
for the process. Usually in order for a CFV to pass, there needs to be
strong community support for the idea.
Old 19-06-2004, 01:05 AM
bluegill phil

here is a page on how to start new group and kind of explains the
usenet
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:58:45 -0400, " George"
wrote:

om...

Old 19-06-2004, 01:06 AM
bluegill phil

sorry here it is
http://www.gweep.ca/~edmonds/usenet/good-newgroup.html

Old 21-06-2004, 04:06 PM
gerry

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 21:03:50 GMT, "Newbie Bill"
wrote:

Weeeell, I told Susan that was about as technical as I needed to know, but
that is very interesting.

In general, only alt groups lack a formal charter process. They are
created mostly by convincing the "alt gods". Of course, just because ANY
group is created, it doesn't mean your news server will carry it.

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

Old 21-06-2004, 04:13 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message
m...
As Calumbo sez "just one more thing sir". Who or what pays
for/houses/supports/posts/etc usenet? Somewhere there is a pretty good
little chuck of hard drive to house 7+ years of threads and the search
engine. Does it ever go down? And this is just one of thousands.

snip

Usenet is essentially a bunch of news "servers" that house the messages, and
share them on the web. How long the messages stay on your server depends on
your ISP. This is one of the oldest applications running on the Internet.

BV.

here here now, this poking at my daughter has to stop! Momma McKoi Ponds 0 15-05-2005 10:57 PM
No geek here Kathy Mary kate Ponds 0 21-06-2004 06:08 PM
Well here it is September already madgardener Gardening 2 01-09-2003 04:12 PM
Newbie here - Easiest to grow orchid in NW IN pagan Orchids 8 05-02-2003 04:11 PM
here's an interesting idea for those of you who don't want war with J Kolenovsky Gardening 0 31-01-2003 12:55 AM