Old 18-06-2004, 05:05 PM
Newbie Bill

Default No geek here

Just curious. I know virtually nothing about usenet. Do we have any sort
of administrator here. Our local bulletin board has a regular web address
and the web master routinely goes in and removes all spam. I know this is
different but wasnt sure if anyone had any 'big brother' powers.
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 18-06-2004, 05:05 PM
GrannyGrump

Just curious. I know virtually nothing about usenet. Do we have any sort
of administrator here. Our local bulletin board has a regular web address

No admin here...wide open to the world... research the post header,
copy the full post (headers too) and send to te abuse department
listed in the post.

and the web master routinely goes in and removes all spam. I know this is
different but wasnt sure if anyone had any 'big brother' powers.

None at all.
Old 18-06-2004, 05:06 PM
Newbie Bill

As Calumbo sez "just one more thing sir". Who or what pays
for/houses/supports/posts/etc usenet? Somewhere there is a pretty good
little chuck of hard drive to house 7+ years of threads and the search
engine. Does it ever go down? And this is just one of thousands.
Bill

Old 18-06-2004, 05:07 PM
joe

On 6/18/04 8:34 AM, "Newbie Bill" wrote:

Just curious. I know virtually nothing about usenet. Do we have any sort
of administrator here. Our local bulletin board has a regular web address
and the web master routinely goes in and removes all spam. I know this is
different but wasnt sure if anyone had any 'big brother' powers.
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

I believe we are an unchaparoned group, left to govern ourselves.

Joe

Old 18-06-2004, 05:07 PM
George

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message
m...
As Calumbo sez "just one more thing sir". Who or what pays
for/houses/supports/posts/etc usenet? Somewhere there is a pretty good
little chuck of hard drive to house 7+ years of threads and the search
engine. Does it ever go down? And this is just one of thousands.
Bill

You and I pay for it. Yes there is. Yes is does. Yes it is.

Old 18-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Ka30P

Nope, nobody here to look after ourselves but us.
We don't get that much spam, surprisingly.
A troll once in a while, some porno here and there.
Maybe we're considered too boring to mess with ;-)

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 18-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Newbie Bill

I notice every message in this thread (as best as I can interpret) comes
from a different news server. Does that mean that each server has all this
info, my server just houses my info and each post is essentially a link to
their respective news server, is there a 'mothership' that my server is
accessing and downloading as 'requested', etc. I know(I think) that a
website is essentially on A computer (or server) and everyone is accessing
it. If that is the case with usenet does my server pay a 'subscription' or
download fee. After about 6 years I am still fascinated by the whole thing -
the way the net connects us all almost as if we were neighbors. In fact I
have neighbors just 3 houses away that I still dont know (after 7 months)
but I 'know' people in PA because of the net and our common interest. Darn
right amazin.
Bill

Old 18-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Newbie Bill

I cant help myself. I assume a troll is someone who just wanders in without
any particular interest in the group, but just to stir up things a bit.
What is a flamer? I think thats the term. Someone once told me - I never
go to that group because its all trolls and flamers.
Bill

Old 18-06-2004, 06:05 PM
Ka30P

Bill wrote Darn
right amazin.

You can say that again!
I'm not sure it all works, luckily I have a computer geek teenager in residence
to take
care of me.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 18-06-2004, 06:05 PM
Ka30P

You tempt me! (see below)
(And the I promise I will go back to wading through
the pile on my desk...)

Basically a troll likes to post things like
'your pond is ugly and you are infecting us with West Nile' and then stands
back to see what he has stirred up.

A flamer likes to attack someone he disagrees with 'You are an idiot for
recommending that, or you are going to kill your fish and everyone else's.'
They don't have much tolerance for differing opinions.

I love trolls as I get to ignore my deskwork and come up with troll remedies
such as:

Troll! We have a troll in the pond!
Quick, break out the emergency kit!

First isolate the troll to the filter,
get your fish net and your cattle prod.
Gently prod the troll in his nether
regions (for some reason pond trolls
are always male and the nether region
prod is always effective).
Apply the maximum electrical charge
to the prod.
The troll will then obligingly hop into
the net.
Ignore the howls that accompany the
electrical prod administration, (he deserves it).

Remove the troll, in the net, to an
isolation tank. Deposit in tank.
Remedies vary at this point. You
may choose the one that you feel
best fits your particular pond troll's
crimes:

1. Apply 100 pounds of pond salt and shrivel
the pond troll out of existence.
2. Apply triple the maximum dose of
potassium permanganate effectively nuking
the pond troll to the next dimension.
3. Apply several dozen leeches to the pond
troll thus depriving him of vital fluids. You will
have to dispose of empty pond troll skin but
it does well in the compost heap.

Good luck and good hunting!

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 18-06-2004, 07:03 PM
Newbie Bill

Toooo funny! btw - Since we are virtually neighbors, (but better) ----------
could I borrow a cup of sugar?
Bill

Old 18-06-2004, 07:05 PM
George

[...]

I suggest you spend less time thinking about things you cannot control, then go
down the street and meet your neighbors.

Old 18-06-2004, 08:04 PM
George

"Ka30P" wrote in message
[...]

Here is my favorite troll remedy:

.:\:/:.
+-----------------------+ .:\:\:/:/:.
+-----------------------+ / \
| | @@@ / /|,,,,,|\ \
| | @@@ /_// /^\ \\_\
@x@@x@ | | |/ WW( ( ) )WW
\||||/ | | \| __\,,\ /,,/__
\||/ | | | jgs(______Y______)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Old 18-06-2004, 08:05 PM
Ka30P

Virtual sugar I got lots of!

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 18-06-2004, 08:06 PM
Heather

Kathy -

You sure come up with some good ones. Are you saving these to put in a
book?

--
Heather
SW Ontario (Zone 5)

"Ka30P" wrote in message
[...]

here here now, this poking at my daughter has to stop! Momma McKoi Ponds 0 15-05-2005 10:57 PM
No geek here Kathy Mary kate Ponds 0 21-06-2004 06:08 PM
Well here it is September already madgardener Gardening 2 01-09-2003 04:12 PM
Newbie here - Easiest to grow orchid in NW IN pagan Orchids 8 05-02-2003 04:11 PM
here's an interesting idea for those of you who don't want war with J Kolenovsky Gardening 0 31-01-2003 12:55 AM