Old 30-06-2004, 12:06 AM

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 30-06-2004, 01:08 AM

http://www.calpump.com/charts/s1200.pdf

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Sequence Cimmaron, 3500 GPH/160 watts
Laguna 5000, 1640 GPH/85 watts
Both about 6 months old.
My puddle has a 10 watt danner pump which had former lives growing
hydroponic tomatos and before that watercooling some teenager's overclocked
computer.

BTW - for amp to watt conversion, multiply the volts (usually 120) times the
amps to get watts.

Old 30-06-2004, 05:08 AM

Default pumps

Grubber ) (Tue, 29 Jun 2004 23:20:05 GMT):
Sequence Cimmaron, 3500 GPH/160 watts

Nice for $125, but that's 3500 gph at 0 head (not useful). At a
more typical 6 ft it's down to 2500 gph and only 1200 at 10 feet
of head and 0 gph at 12 feet. This is a low head pump. Fine if
you know your application, and what GPH you'll really get.

160W @ 120V is plausible but likely lower than reality (assuming
you can even get 120 V to the pump). (Pipe will account for most
of the effective head, so 10ft effective head isn't that unlikely.)
There's no one to verify power use on these things, and the only
place I could find this particular pump for sale was on ebay.

Here for more on this particular pump in a (very bad) application:

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/showth...threadid=54689

Whatever you do, don't do that.
--
'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`''`'`'`'`'`'`'`' `'`'`''`'`'`'`'`'`'`'
SLOTHEAD
Old 30-06-2004, 07:06 AM
Karen Mullen

In article ,
writes:

OK.. lets ask this another way.
what pump you got
how long you using that pump
how many gallons per hour
how many watts/amps does it use?

this website compares pumps, head, wattage, etc. decent prices too,

http://www.webbsonline.com/catalog/pumps/index.html

I have 3 Danner supreme magdrives, a 750, 1200 and 3600 GPH.

The 750 has run non-stop since 1997 as I use it over the winter to keep pond
clear of ice. The 1200 has been running since 1997 to 2000 24/7/365 and every
summer since 2000 to present. The 3600 was purchased last year August ran til
Oct and from May on this year. I have not seen any change in my electric bill
when I bring the pond up in the spring with all 3 running.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 30-06-2004, 03:11 PM
Grubber

wrote in message
[...]

That's me. Worked out great. Pipe "head" is very low with 2" pipe,
something like 1.5' per 100' so I've got about a foot on top of my 3' rise,
leaving me with about 2800 GPH and 160 watts according to the chart from
sequencehttp://www.azponds.com/sequence_cimarron_chart.gif)
Sequence only came out with their 'value' line this year, but they have
enough of a reputation to maintain for their expensive pumps that I'd
believe the chart to be reasonably accurate.

I have no way to measure the flow, but in comparison to the 1640 gph Laguna
at 0' head, 2800 gph seems realistic.

I got my pump from http://www.azponds.com, which I think is the same as the
ebay seller (same products, same area code). With free shipping, it's
cheaper to order through the website instead of ebay.

Old 30-06-2004, 04:21 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote in message
OK.. lets ask this another way.
what pump you got
how long you using that pump
how many gallons per hour
how many watts/amps does it use?
thanks, Ingrid

Beckett 1200gph
Purchased at Home Depot for under $100.00
Not sure of amp usage, but no noticeable affect on 'lectric bill
Been running for almost 1.5 years now.
Not run in winter.
Has been run dry a few times, but not on purpose.

Old 30-06-2004, 09:18 PM
Sean Dinh

Laguna 2 utility pump
3 years
210 gph
11 w

Old 01-07-2004, 05:04 AM

You have to account for turns. A UV typically has two T-type
turns, so there's a good 20 feet of pipe in just a UV.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/...Detail/ttid/54

:

Next find the friction loss caused by the fittings. Please note that
the friction loss depends on the fitting diameter. A standard 1.5"
elbow is equal to about 4' of pipe; long elbows, sweeps, and 45° elbows
are equal to about 2' of pipe; straight through a "T", about 3' of
pipe; and a 90° turn through a "T", about 9' of pipe.

:

Anyone interested should see the chart on that page since you need to
know flow rate and effective pipe length and its diameter.
--
'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`''`'`'`'`'`'`'`' `'`'`''`'`'`'`'`'`'`'
SLOTHEAD

Old 01-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Rodney Pont

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 02:24:56 GMT, Grubber wrote:

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/...Detail/ttid/54

Anyone interested should see the chart on that page since you need to
know flow rate and effective pipe length and its diameter.

There is another friction loss chart here
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/flowchart.html that goes up to 500GPM and
5" pipe, it also has the pipe length to add for various types of
fittings.

Flex PVC - no turns

Flex PVC has turns even when you're trying to keep it straight :-)

I did a little experiment with flex PVC compared to solid waste pipe.
The pump was an Otter Maximus 9000 with 8 foot of pipe and two 90
degree bends to a head of 2 foot 6 inches.

I tried with 1 1/2" flex PVC, good quality thick pipe with very little
ribbing visible inside the pipe, and two gentle 90 degree curves. The
waste pipe was push fit 1 1/2" with two 90 degree bends.

I timed the flow into a 2 gallon bucket, flex pvc first then solid
waste pipe and the waste pipe allowed 40% more water to flow than with
the flex pipe. I can't remember the flow rate now but I do remember the
40%.

I also have some of the cheaper flex pipe that is far more ribbed
inside than the type I used but I only have 4 foot of it spare do
didn't try with that and it would have been worse anyway.

I was really surprised by the huge difference the small amount of
ribbing made to the water flow and will always use solid waste pipe
where I can.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old 01-07-2004, 08:05 PM
grubber

"Rodney Pont" wrote in message
news:atcfzvasbuvgflfgrzfygqhx.i06dgd0.pminews@ihs1 ...
[...]

OK, you guys just about had me convinced that my pump wasn't flowing at all
so I did a test. I turned off the pump, bailed 20 five gallon buckets out
of the settling pool the pump spills into and timed how long it took to fill
back up (134 seconds). Based on that, it's doing ~2685 GPH. Works for me.

As for the 'turns', there's about 150 degrees worth of gradual bend over the
75' of 2" pipe. No UV, no filter, just a strainer on the intake to keep
fish out of the pipe.

Based on the charts, 1.5" pipe has about 3.4 times as much resistance as 2"
pipe. Also, this pipe is so stiff I don't think I could do 2 90 degree
turns in 8 feet. An 8 foot semi-circle, sure. Maybe we're talking about a
different kind of pipe.

Old 02-07-2004, 12:04 PM
Rodney Pont

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 18:37:38 GMT, grubber wrote:

OK, you guys just about had me convinced that my pump wasn't flowing at all
so I did a test. I turned off the pump, bailed 20 five gallon buckets out
of the settling pool the pump spills into and timed how long it took to fill
back up (134 seconds). Based on that, it's doing ~2685 GPH. Works for me.

As for the 'turns', there's about 150 degrees worth of gradual bend over the
75' of 2" pipe. No UV, no filter, just a strainer on the intake to keep
fish out of the pipe.

Based on the charts, 1.5" pipe has about 3.4 times as much resistance as 2"
pipe. Also, this pipe is so stiff I don't think I could do 2 90 degree
turns in 8 feet. An 8 foot semi-circle, sure. Maybe we're talking about a
different kind of pipe.

Sounds like you have good pipe :-)

I've got two types here, one is pretty solid and difficult to get tight
turns in and the other is far more flexible. It was the better one I
used for my little test and I was really surprised that it made so much
difference.

I didn't know of this when I put the flex pipe under the patio and
regret not using solid pipe. I hope my experience stops someone making
the same mistake. I want to replace it when I have the funds, I have
sufficient flow to the waterfall but it would be nice to have more :-)

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old 02-07-2004, 01:05 PM
Grubber

"Rodney Pont" wrote in message
news:atcfzvasbuvgflfgrzfygqhx.i08cgj0.pminews@ihs1 ...
[...]

Always nice to have more!

Old 06-07-2004, 06:02 AM
Fred

OASE Aquarius series
2.5 years old, running continuously
480 gph @ 0' head
25 watts!!! (the only thing more efficient is the Laguna)

I'm increasing the size of my waterfall so will be buying a larger pump. I
am still deciding between another OASE or the Laguna. The OASE definitely
has the reputation and price is competitive (read: just a tad more
expensive) with the Laguna.

On 6/30/04 5:33 AM, in article ,
" wrote:

OK.. lets ask this another way.
what pump you got
how long you using that pump
how many gallons per hour
how many watts/amps does it use?
thanks, Ingrid
Cal pump
model S1200T
in use since 1997 (7 years)
4 amp, watts?
gallons per hour?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 07-07-2004, 04:02 PM

Karens recommendation of http://www.webbsonline.com/catalog/pumps/index.html I found
very useful, they are the least expensive place for good pumps so far.
I also am leaning toward an OASE because Jo Ann and Steve (the GF guru and husband)
have been using the same 5 or 6 OASE for 15 years. and yes, they are very efficient!
Ingrid

Fred wrote:

OASE Aquarius series
2.5 years old, running continuously
480 gph @ 0' head
25 watts!!! (the only thing more efficient is the Laguna)

I'm increasing the size of my waterfall so will be buying a larger pump. I
am still deciding between another OASE or the Laguna. The OASE definitely
has the reputation and price is competitive (read: just a tad more
expensive) with the Laguna.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

FS: New pumps Mike Ponds 0 25-03-2003 11:44 PM
Pumps Working. was ah spring? Tom La Bron Ponds 7 23-03-2003 04:44 PM
Hand Pumps Tim Wardell Ponds 6 25-02-2003 10:17 PM
Via Aqua pond pumps camper Ponds (alternative) 0 13-02-2003 12:55 AM
Filter, skimmer, bottom drain...how many pumps? BenignVanilla Ponds 11 03-02-2003 09:41 PM