Old 03-07-2004, 05:03 AM
Steve \(Dart\)

Default Strange growth in filter ??

While cleaning the grunge out of my filter today, I noticed a strange growth
on the inner side of my filter.
It looked like a tiny root system growing along the inner wall of the
filter. I touched it and some broke off.
What is this?
What does it indicate?

Old 03-07-2004, 05:03 AM
Charles

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 03:21:20 GMT, "Steve \(Dart\)"
wrote:

While cleaning the grunge out of my filter today, I noticed a strange growth
on the inner side of my filter.
It looked like a tiny root system growing along the inner wall of the
filter. I touched it and some broke off.
What is this?
What does it indicate?

Bryazoa, most likely. It means that you are more observant than most
people. They are cool animals, but only grow in the dark, otherwise
algae will overwhelm them. Can you put that part of the filter in
some water and watch them with a magnifying lens? It's worth the
trouble.
--

- Charles
-
Old 03-07-2004, 07:02 PM
George

wrote:

While cleaning the grunge out of my filter today, I noticed a strange growth
on the inner side of my filter.
It looked like a tiny root system growing along the inner wall of the
filter. I touched it and some broke off.
What is this?
What does it indicate?

Bryazoa, most likely. It means that you are more observant than most
people. They are cool animals, but only grow in the dark, otherwise
algae will overwhelm them. Can you put that part of the filter in
some water and watch them with a magnifying lens? It's worth the
trouble.
--

- Charles
-
-does not play well with others

There are about 2 dozen freshwater bryozoans in the U.S. And not much is known
about them. Might be a great chance to study them up close.

Old 03-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Steve \(Dart\)

Well, now you guys have gotten my curiosity going. We do have a microscope
here, I may get it set up next time I got the filter set up. I had it open
again today and it was larger!!!!
Thanks,
I will let you know what I see.

Old 04-07-2004, 07:03 AM
Karen Mullen

In article , Charles
writes:

Bryazoa, most likely. It means that you are more observant than most
people. They are cool animals, but only grow in the dark, otherwise
algae will overwhelm them. Can you put that part of the filter in
some water and watch them with a magnifying lens? It's worth the
trouble.

it's an animal and not a plant, I always thought it was a form of algae. it
about took over my filter box!
Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 05-07-2004, 08:03 AM
Webfoot

Interesting! I went on a fossil hunt two weeks ago at Rock Glen
Ontario Canada. I collected quite a few Devonian age fossils (365
million years ago). Searching through the Internet tonight I
identified one fossil as Bryozoa. An hour ago I never heard of it now
I have a Devonian age fossil of it and Steve has it in his filter.
Looks a lot like fan coral bit is's not. See;
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/bryozoa/bryozoafr.html

Just thought it was strange

Russell Mack

Old 05-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Charles

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 02:21:18 -0400, Webfoot wrote:

Interesting! I went on a fossil hunt two weeks ago at Rock Glen
Ontario Canada. I collected quite a few Devonian age fossils (365
million years ago). Searching through the Internet tonight I
identified one fossil as Bryozoa. An hour ago I never heard of it now
I have a Devonian age fossil of it and Steve has it in his filter.
Looks a lot like fan coral bit is's not. See;
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/bryozoa/bryozoafr.html

Just thought it was strange

Russell Mack

I used to not be able to spell bryazologist, and now I don't know if
it is even a word.

Somewhere in my reading about these I remember that they are the most
common cause of fouling on boats. They are apparently quite common,
just nobody notices them very often.

I had some fairly good pictures of mine, somewhere on one of the hard
disks, I hope, but I haven't been able to find them. Maybe it's time
to see if my colony is still going. Mine showed up in an aquarium
filter, I got rid of them the first few times I found them, then I
have tried to keep the colony alive since then.
--

- Charles
-
Old 05-07-2004, 08:03 PM
George

"Charles" wrote in message
[...]

Bryozoans are ancient creatures that can be traced back at least 450 million
years in geologic history. I wasn't aware that there were many freshwater
species, however. After Steve's post, I cleaned out my prefilter, and low and
behold, I have bryozoans in mine as well. Who'd a thunk it?

Old 06-07-2004, 06:02 AM
Ka30P

For those of us who just love to get down and stick our noses
in the pond and see who has shown up...
Try Ron's Pond Scum page
http://www.silkentent.com/gus1911/RonPond.htm

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 06-07-2004, 10:02 AM
George

"Ka30P" wrote in message

For those of us who just love to get down and stick our noses
in the pond and see who has shown up...
Try Ron's Pond Scum page
http://www.silkentent.com/gus1911/RonPond.htm

kathy :-)
algae primer

Interesting. Do you know anyone who has similar images of freshwater bryozoans?

Old 06-07-2004, 10:02 AM
Charles

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 04:22:42 -0400, " George"
wrote:

"Ka30P" wrote in message

For those of us who just love to get down and stick our noses
in the pond and see who has shown up...
Try Ron's Pond Scum page
http://www.silkentent.com/gus1911/RonPond.htm

kathy :-)
algae primer

Interesting. Do you know anyone who has similar images of freshwater bryozoans?

google knows of a few:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...yozoan&spell=1

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/...97b/kenj1.html

This one may not be freshwater:
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/hosted_sites/ib...s/bryozoa.html

The ones I had I decide were plumatella, but there was a lot of
ignorance involved in my guesswork.

--

- Charles
-
Old 06-07-2004, 10:02 AM
George

wrote:

"Ka30P" wrote in message

For those of us who just love to get down and stick our noses
in the pond and see who has shown up...
Try Ron's Pond Scum page
http://www.silkentent.com/gus1911/RonPond.htm

kathy :-)
algae primer

Interesting. Do you know anyone who has similar images of freshwater
bryozoans?

google knows of a few:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...yozoan&spell=1

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/...97b/kenj1.html

This one may not be freshwater:
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/hosted_sites/ib...s/bryozoa.html

The ones I had I decide were plumatella, but there was a lot of
ignorance involved in my guesswork.

--

- Charles
-
-does not play well with others

Thanks. The reason I asked is that I am a geologist and have studied and
published on fossil crinoids, and in the process, have learned a lot about
living echinoderms (I have a huge green brittle star in my marine tank). I have
collected not a few fossil bryozoans, but until recently, have never seen a
living one (I believe a have a freshwater colony growing in my pre-filter in my
pond, along the inner wall. So,naturally I want to try to identify the buggers,
and try to learn a little about them. So far, I have been able to identify
them.

Old 07-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Webfoot

Where do you suppose they came from. Plants?

Russell Mack
Old 07-07-2004, 07:03 PM
George

"Webfoot" wrote in message
Where do you suppose they came from. Plants?

Russell Mack

???

Old 07-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Ka30P

All sorts of things hitchhike along on plants
that ponders bring home from the nursery.
Worms, snails, algae, zooplankton, fish eggs,
snail eggs, frog eggs, leeches, insect larvae, mosses, other plants, sea
monsters ;-)