Old 05-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Ed J

Default Koi or Goldfish???

I have a farm pond about 75 feet in diameter. I had largemouth bass and
bluegills
in it till this past winter. There was a major die-off and I have not seen
any fish this
season. I am assuming that the water is fouled with low oxygen at the
bottom (8 ft)
and the fish died off there when there was about 2 foot of ice this past
winter.
I have a lot of algae floating on the surface and a LOT of bullfrogs this
year. I
ran a water pump and put the intake hose at the bottom of the pond. The
water
was pretty foul smelling coming out of the pump.

I will probably have to get an air pump and run a air hose to the bottom to
circulate the water and aerate it. After that, I would like to get some
type
of goldfish. I have seen most Koi are rather expensive. The 'common'
goldfish is very cheap in comparison.

What is the difference between the 'common' goldfish and koi?

--
Ed J edj22 @ attglobal . net

Old 05-07-2004, 03:02 AM
chagoi

Ed J wrote:

Snip

I will probably have to get an air pump and run a air hose to the bottom to
circulate the water and aerate it. After that, I would like to get some
type
of goldfish. I have seen most Koi are rather expensive. The 'common'
goldfish is very cheap in comparison.

What is the difference between the 'common' goldfish and koi?

koi $2.99 - $200,000.00
'common' goldfish $0.10 - $ 6.00

*Difference $2.89 - $199,994.00*

/\/\ike
Chagoi
http://ourkoipond.com

-- To avoid Grizzlies, the Alaska Department of Fish & Game advises
hikers to wear noisy little bells on clothes and carry pepper spray.
Also watch for signs of activity: Black Bear scat is smaller and
contains berries; Grizzly scat has little bells in it and smells like pepper

Old 05-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Ed J

"chagoi" wrote in message
Ed J wrote:

Snip

I will probably have to get an air pump and run a air hose to the bottom

circulate the water and aerate it. After that, I would like to get some
type
of goldfish. I have seen most Koi are rather expensive. The 'common'
goldfish is very cheap in comparison.

What is the difference between the 'common' goldfish and koi?

koi $2.99 - $200,000.00
'common' goldfish $0.10 - $ 6.00

*Difference $2.89 - $199,994.00*

/\/\ike
Chagoi
http://ourkoipond.com

I did not mean what is the difference in price.....
What I was wondering is what are the advantages of each type?
Or is a koi just a fancy goldfish?

Old 05-07-2004, 03:02 AM
chagoi

Ed J wrote:

"chagoi" wrote in message

Ed J wrote:

Snip

I will probably have to get an air pump and run a air hose to the bottom

circulate the water and aerate it. After that, I would like to get some
type
of goldfish. I have seen most Koi are rather expensive. The 'common'
goldfish is very cheap in comparison.

What is the difference between the 'common' goldfish and koi?

koi $2.99 - $200,000.00
'common' goldfish $0.10 - $ 6.00

*Difference $2.89 - $199,994.00*

/\/\ike
Chagoi
http://ourkoipond.com

I did not mean what is the difference in price.....
What I was wondering is what are the advantages of each type?
Or is a koi just a fancy goldfish?

SHEESH!!!

What a tree limb in the pond mulm! ;-)

It's a JOKE son!!! It's a JOKE!

/\/\ike
Chagoi
http://ourkoipond.com
Old 05-07-2004, 04:05 AM
chagoi

Ed J wrote:

"chagoi" wrote in message

What is the difference between the 'common' goldfish and koi?

koi $2.99 - $200,000.00
'common' goldfish $0.10 - $ 6.00

*Difference $2.89 - $199,994.00*

/\/\ike
Chagoi
http://ourkoipond.com

I did not mean what is the difference in price.....
What I was wondering is what are the advantages of each type?
Or is a koi just a fancy goldfish?

Go to http://google.com (web)
Search for:koi vs goldfish

Go to http://google.com (groups)
Search for:koi vs goldfish group:rec.ponds

Here's one explaination
http://www.gardenpower.com/projects/outdoor/02084.html

Here's 3 different aspects:

1. Googled from rec. ponds dated 01/20/1997

From: brett rowley )
Subject: Koi Book Recommendations (koi vs. goldfish)
This is the only article in this thread
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: 1997/01/20

In
) writes:

In article ,
(Little Pua) wrote:
I have a 5' x 12' x 3' pond that I would like to add koi to. I currently
just have goldfish. I am looking for recommendations on the best book on
caring for koi... not too technical, but just general all around
information.

Sherry

Koi are just goldfish (I.E. Carp) as far as I can tell. They just
happen to like to eat plants and dig in the mud a lot more!

Goldfish don't eat plants in the pond.
Koi rip them out by the roots, or just bite off a chunk, then spit it
out!

Goldfish pick up a small gravel off the bottem of the pond, chew on it
until they decide it's not a snail, and spit it out.

Koi dig in the gravel, chew on everything, and root around all the
time. They never stop and they never give up!

You also can't freeze them solid in a block of ice all winter, like
golfish, then let them thaw out on thier own in spring. If you do,
some of them will expire! They do better if there is at least a foot
of water left at the bottom of the pond all winter.

The only thing I have found you need to raise Koi is about three times
more filter then you would need with goldfish! (And no live plants,
because they will eat the bumper off your 57 Chevy, then spit it out
and try the grill!)

rc

Don't get me wrong here, but I have spent years trying to convince
people that koi are not "just big goldfish". Koi and goldfish are very
different species. Koi are indeed "colored carp" as they and thier
river living brethren both belong to the species Cyprinus carpio. In
the case of koi, sometimes it is written as Cyprinus carpio var. koi,
which refers to the variety or cultivar of common carp. Goldfish OTOH
belong to the species Carassius auratus. Both are related by belonging
to the minnow family (Cyprinidae) which also includes the Chinese and
Indian carps, the shiners people use for "bait minners", and a host of
other species with similar characteristics.

OK, taxonomy lesson is over for today.

Brett Rowley
Fisheries Biologist
Great Lakes Sportfishing Resort and Koi Breeding Farm
West Columbia, Texas

2. Googled from rec. ponds dated 09/17/1995

From: ALPHAMALE2 )
Subject: koi vs goldfish?
Original Format
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: 1995/09/17

When I first set up my pond three years ago, I was told by the pond shop
NOT to put Koi in my pond if I want to keep plants. I was also told if I
did put Koi in the pond, NOT to put in any Comets or Goldfish with them I
did not listen and purchased several Koi. Now, three years down the road,
I have 9 of the little devils along with several Comets and Goldfish.

Over the years, I have found that the only time they have really done a
number on the plants is in the Spring during their breeding season. The
first time I witnessed the blessed event, I was standing in the family
room overlooking the back yard and thought there was a critter in the
pond. The water was whirling, plants were flying and Koi bodies were
thrashing about. I ran outside only to find they were breeding. Nothing
shy about these fish! Each day, I would put the plants back, pick out
stems and leaves and often re-pot. Once the breeding season ended, the
Koi settled down and all was peaceful.

The second year, I enlarged the pond a bit and made the shelves wider. I
also put plastic lawn edging around the perimeter of the pots to keep them
out. This was somewhat effective. The plants stayed on the shelves and
were not uprooted. The lilies were damaged a bit but recovered over the
summer.

Next Spring, I plan to dig two small areas adjacent to the pond that will
house the lilies away from the Koi - unless they learn to pole vault, this
should do the trick.

You are so right about good filtration. A good bio filter is a MUST to
keep the pond in balance. As the Koi get larger and produce higher levels
of ammonia, proper biological filtration becomes critical.

I have a small pond - about 1200 gallons and a large fish load. My filter
has become inadequate so I will construct a larger one next Spring.

All and all, I would not discourage anyone from purchasing Koi for their
pond. They are beautiful fish and a pleasure to raise. One must,
however, be willing to take the extra step to ensure a proper environment.

Tom

3. Googled from rec. ponds dated 01/10/1998

From: TeichFlora )
Original Format
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: 1998/10/01

When I put the pond in I had no
intention of getting koi. Now I wish I had dug deeper and skipped the
goldfish. I enjoy the goldfish but the koi are my favorite.
--
Bonnie

Hope you all don't think this is stupid......hey,
I'm a plant person, not a fish person...but want to learn...so.....

I have always had goldfish also, and chose not to have Koi because I
wanted a
water garden with TONS of plants...fish were just to be ornamental pets. I
love my goldfish, they come when called, can be petted, etc.

I would like to know please, why do most people prefer Koi over
Goldfish, etc.
Thanks.

/\/\ike
Chagoi
http://ourkoipond.com

Old 05-07-2004, 04:05 AM
Moontanman

Koi are colorful carp and get to be as large as three feet or more. Koi need a
much larger pond than gold fish. Gold fish seldom get much more than 12 to 14
inches long. Other than the size there is not much difference in them. Size
does means a lot and larger fish need more filtration and more space.

Moon
I breed dwarf crayfish for planted aquariums and grow trees in aquariums.
My groups

Old 05-07-2004, 06:03 AM
chagoi

George wrote:

"chagoi" wrote in message

-- To avoid Grizzlies, the Alaska Department of Fish & Game advises hikers to
wear noisy little bells on clothes and carry pepper spray. Also watch for
signs of activity: Black Bear scat is smaller and contains berries; Grizzly
scat has little bells in it and smells like pepper

Hahahahahahahaha!!!

Well!

At least some one has a *sense of humor* tonight.

Old 06-07-2004, 02:03 AM
Ed J

Thanks for the answers.....

Ed J

Old 06-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Pond Diver

My wife's cousin has two ponds, one 20x40 and the other about 10x15 on his
farm. He went down to a local pet store and found out when the next batch
of feeder gold fish were going to come into the store. He went back and
bought about 100 of them to put in the ponds. Sure he lost quite a few.
But the majority of them lived. And about every five years he has to have a
fish "give away". So they do quite well! And are CHEAP. Most will get a
pretty orange and are well worth the .10 cent investment.

Old 07-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Michael Lee

Ed J wrote:

Thanks for the answers.....

Ed J

There seems to be a lot of information and misinformation about the
difference between Koi and goldfish. I want to add my $.02 worth, because
I have spent the last 15 years with both in my ponds. I am skipping all
the mumbo-jumbo about species, etc because it has already been said, and
I don't know that stuff anyway. I can only go on personal experience.

For one, it sounds like you are trying to get some kind of natural
balance to a dead pond, and are not interested in the 'pet' quality of
the fish. To that, I say go for the gold.

Goldfish are a LOT cheaper.

Goldfish are a lot hardier than the Koi. Whenever I have had a problem
with the pond, the Koi will go first.

The Goldfish breed like sex-starved teenagers. We have never seen a Koi
fry.

Koi will live to 70 years, goldfish will live to ~ 7 years.

Koi will continue to grow throughout their lives, goldfish will stop when
they have reached some kind of God's formula of pond size vs. fish size.

Koi develop personalities more than goldfish. In our whole pond with
about 70 fish, the only ones that we have named are the Koi. In fact, we
are moving at the end of the month, and guess which fish we are
relocating?

Hope that helps.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:02 AM
chagoi

Ed J wrote:

What is the difference between the 'common' goldfish and koi?

Found several Koi FAQ's

http://www.pondarama.com/koi.html

/\/\ike
Chagoi
http://ourkoipond.com

Koi vs. Goldfish Dean Krick Ponds 5 24-02-2005 04:36 PM
koi and goldfish for sale Julie Ponds (alternative) 0 05-06-2003 07:32 PM
Koi/Goldfish taxonomy FAQ? J. Douglas Mercer Ponds 0 28-04-2003 07:08 AM
Free Koi and Goldfish to Good DC Area Home Michael Whaley Ponds 4 18-03-2003 06:56 AM
Goldfish and Koi BenignVanilla Ponds 4 15-02-2003 12:39 AM